Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 07:19 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The teacher deserved to be reprimanded. He is a religion teacher, not a priest. The job of a religion teacher is to expose students to various religions, not promote one religion at the expense of others. I find it amusing how vehement religious people can be. "My invisible god is better than your invisible god." Based on what? Your flapping gums does not make a persuasive argument about your god's superiority.
History speaks for itself. Islam is a brutal dominating ideology that seeks to subjugate the world. She is teaching the facts, but it is understandable the confusion, I mean... our progressive educational system has been shoveling propaganda for years, so real education is shocking to some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2017, 07:22 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
John Bosco, Patron Saint of stage magicians, dedicated his life to housing and educating street boys in Turin, Italy. In was prone to " heavenly dreams". In 1853 he wrote " The Catholic Education in His Religion" that condemned false religions; Islam, Judaism, Idolatry and Christian Sects professed by Greeks, Valdese, Angelicans and Protestants. In other words, "my religion is better than your religion".

It was written in a Q/A format.

Looks like this 6th grade teacher chose to copy the section on Islam and hand it out to his impressionable 6th grade class.

I suspect John Bosco may not have known the full history of his own church.

Or like so many, past and present, perhaps he just had no problem cherry picking that history.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:31 AM

1,302 posts, read 683,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I bet 50-75 years ago and even longer good catholics used the N-word to describe blacks in America,they don't know! Point? Because a Saint used some stupid terms in describing another religion 126 years ago does not make it right,no need to repeat it .The teacher was an idiot for doing it.
N-Word is the new niger word. in Spanish world we are not afraid of teling Black people Negros, because in spanish there is not other Word for black. The Core thing here is that while in USA there was war to keep slavery alive, in the Rest of Latin America (except Brazil) The blacks were already free, and even More, in our days racism is prevalent in USA with whites and black not crossbreeding intentionaly, while in the Latin America world marrige is not seen as a mater of race, and many many Latin American have mixed blood of Blacks, Whites, Amerindians. So in the Latin American world to say Negro has not at all a connotation of DNA supremacy or racial segregation but a mere description as to say bald, blond, dark haired, tall, short, thin, fat, etc.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:38 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
History speaks for itself. Islam is a brutal dominating ideology that seeks to subjugate the world. She is teaching the facts, but it is understandable the confusion, I mean... our progressive educational system has been shoveling propaganda for years, so real education is shocking to some.
The educator cherry- picked an excerpt from John Bosco's " The Catholic Education in His Religion" that condemned Islam, Judaism and Christian Sects professed by the Greeks, Valdese, Angelicans and Prostestants.

Seems Bosco was into teaching ignorant street children " my religion is better than all other religions".

Teaching children to hate those not fortunate enough to be baptized Roman Catholic was a common theme of my Catholic elementary school education in the 60's- 70's. It had the opposite effect on me and piqued my interest in other religions and eventually turned me off all organized religion.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The educator cherry- picked an excerpt from John Bosco's " The Catholic Education in His Religion" that condemned Islam, Judaism and Christian Sects professed by the Greeks, Valdese, Angelicans and Prostestants.

Seems Bosco was into teaching ignorant street children " my religion is better than all other religions".

Teaching children to hate those not fortunate enough to be baptized Roman Catholic was a common theme of my Catholic elementary school education in the 60's- 70's. It turned me off all organized religion.

I attended Catholic Sunday School in the '60s and well remember one of the nuns telling us should we even set foot in any other church we'd be doomed to hell! Someone tried to tell me that was an isolated incident but I've since met a few other people who were taught the exact same thing in other areas of the country. I doubt anything could have been more effective in driving me away from organized religion.

And as far as the Catholic church goes, I look at the Vatican and have to wonder just where/when Jesus ever preached the accumulation of material wealth as man's purpose on earth?

Old 04-24-2017, 07:49 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Today the writings of a saint are offensive. Tolerance can go to far. PC will destroy us morally. This is what the left is working very hard to destroy. Moral standards of the masses. Good is bad and bad is good in the last days. It is written.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,509,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
The teacher deserved to be reprimanded. He is a religion teacher, not a priest. The job of a religion teacher is to expose students to various religions, not promote one religion at the expense of others. I find it amusing how vehement religious people can be. "My invisible god is better than your invisible god." Based on what? Your flapping gums does not make a persuasive argument about your god's superiority.
Is he Bashing if telling the truth?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Today the writings of a saint are offensive. Tolerance can go to far. PC will destroy us morally. This is what the left is working very hard to destroy. Moral standards of the masses. Good is bad and bad is good in the last days. It is written.

Please do tell just when/where Jesus preached intolerance?

WHERE is that written?

Old 04-24-2017, 08:10 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If this teacher was interested in developing critical thinking skills in 6th graders he would have given the kids the entire " The Catholic Education in His Religion" which is nothing more than a " my religion is better than your religion" piece that condemns anything not Roman Catholic. He could have used it to teach how ideology has evolved over time.

He might have also chosen to get into the barbaric 30 Years War between Roman Catholics and Protestants that came on the heels of the war between The Church of Rome and Lutherans which makes today's terrorism look like child's play.

Or perhaps how the initial settlers in the New World immigrated for religious freedom from the influences of the Roman Catholic Church on the Church of England only to be followed mass immigration of Irish Catholics who refused to assimilate.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Is he Bashing if telling the truth?

He's lying like a bad rug when he claims taking happiness in sensual pleasures reduces man to the level of filthy animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies