Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 09:09 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Republicans should decrease taxes so much to force the 2020 Democrat presidential candidate to run on raising taxes bigly.
I guess Republican deficits are good deficits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 09:11 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Watching robbery victims debating the best methods of assault. Surreal.
Clarity is one of the requirements for even having an informed debate.

There's an entire industry profiting by the complexity of the US code, and they're paying legislators to keep it arcane.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:16 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That's the kind of system they have here in Finland. Every year I get sent my pre-filled return with the spaces to make changes, if I make changes then I send it back and if I don't make changes I don't have to do anything (which is what I do every year, I could make some deductions but I don't and instead I get my overpayment back at the end of the year with interest). The only thing is you have to make sure your tax card is right when starting a new job or getting a raise etc. or you can end accidentally paying 60% income tax like I did once! (got it back of course but that was a shock )
So how does that work exactly because the link didnt give much detail. It sounds too simplistic.
Is it for someone who has nothing but wage income, standard deduction, and withholding. Like a EZ tax form.
So if you have itemized deductions, capital gains, interest income, farm/ag, split custody/change in dependents or filing status, etc., it wouldn't work. Does it do away with things like earned income credit, child care credit, education credits, etc.

Old 04-26-2017, 09:41 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So how does that work exactly because the link didnt give much detail. It sounds too simplistic.
Is it for someone who has nothing but wage income, standard deduction, and withholding. Like a EZ tax form.
So if you have itemized deductions, capital gains, interest income, farm/ag, split custody/change in dependents or filing status, etc., it wouldn't work. Does it do away with things like earned income credit, child care credit, education credits, etc.
I'll go look for last year's paper and post a picture (without the identifying info) there's sections for all kinds of deductions but I've never made any beyond the dependent deduction so not sure how it appears on the paper of someone with more complex taxes. We don't have tax credits.

Well bugger, I appear to have lost all my paperwork from the last five years.

Last edited by Natsku; 04-26-2017 at 09:51 AM..

Old 04-26-2017, 01:50 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I'll go look for last year's paper and post a picture (without the identifying info) there's sections for all kinds of deductions but I've never made any beyond the dependent deduction so not sure how it appears on the paper of someone with more complex taxes. We don't have tax credits.

Well bugger, I appear to have lost all my paperwork from the last five years.
Thanks for the effort.
Perhaps the OP can explain just how it is suppose to work here. I'm sure our tax systems are different.

Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,251,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Thanks for the effort.
Perhaps the OP can explain just how it is suppose to work here. I'm sure our tax systems are different.
No probs. Just wish I hadn't lost all my paperwork now as that might be a pain later on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies