Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 02:20 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times

Advertisements

Remember Fabio? He is very p1ssed off about soaring crime rates and did a five minute segment with Tucker Carlson on Fox News. He is very well informed. The accent is a bit difficult but you get the gist of what he is saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLPVTM8WCz8

Old 04-30-2017, 07:24 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Good for Fabio for standing up . Too bad it always takes something to happen to celebrities for the media to care but at least it's being talked about .
I'm guessing that CNN and MSNBC isn't talking about this though because it makes Liberal soft on crime laws look bad .

Old 04-30-2017, 09:21 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
An LAPD captain told an audience I was in a few days ago that AB 109 and Prop 47 are causing an increase in crime. It's remarkable to me that there are people in the media and even on this site (ryhmes with Too Sleepy) who insist otherwise.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Don't blame the guy. He got robbed of 250,000. He said he had a few favorite watches he misses. It's bs either way. The dude worked for his money and things and some dirtbag just comes along and steals it.

Old 04-30-2017, 10:25 PM

This is an article from NPR last year about Prop 47 and how cops are frustrated because crimes that used to be felonies now result in the criminals being released by the time the cop fills out the report.

Now cops aren't even bothering booking some criminals because it's turned into a big joke.

---
"We found heroin in the car," Smith says. "We also found stolen property from three or four victims."
The couple say the stolen property was stashed in their car by an acquaintance. Still, the presence of heroin and stolen property would have been enough for felony charges — before Prop 47. Not anymore.

"We booked them to our jail, and they were released before my partner and I finished our report," Smith says.
In some California jurisdictions, police aren't even bothering with the booking. They'll issue citations, along with a court date, and let people go — something some cops derisively call "catch and release."

California Cops Frustrated With 'Catch-And-Release' Crime-Fighting : NPR

Old 04-30-2017, 10:51 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
I see it a little more nuanced. I voted against prop 47 because keeping crime down is important for me, but for the state, prison overcrowding has long been an issue. The 9th circuit was telling the state to reduce crowding or they would order the release of prisoners. The proposition tried to target the lowest risk offenders to release, but those people were in prison for a reason, and releasing them makes the rest of us less safe.

I saw the proposition as a trade-off, increase in taxes vs increase in crime. I'd preferred an increase in taxes to build/operate more prisons, rather than to, in-effect, decriminalize lower level property crime. Clearly, a lot Californians feel differently, as they don't want to pay more taxes so they chose to release prisoners. We are seeing the predictable result.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
This is an article from NPR last year about Prop 47 and how cops are frustrated because crimes that used to be felonies now result in the criminals being released by the time the cop fills out the report.

Now cops aren't even bothering booking some criminals because it's turned into a big joke.

---
"We found heroin in the car," Smith says. "We also found stolen property from three or four victims."
The couple say the stolen property was stashed in their car by an acquaintance. Still, the presence of heroin and stolen property would have been enough for felony charges — before Prop 47. Not anymore.

"We booked them to our jail, and they were released before my partner and I finished our report," Smith says.
In some California jurisdictions, police aren't even bothering with the booking. They'll issue citations, along with a court date, and let people go — something some cops derisively call "catch and release."

California Cops Frustrated With 'Catch-And-Release' Crime-Fighting : NPR
And thus, in a chicken-egg situation, they are themselves fueling the situation.

Those departments that have not stopped arresting criminals for lesser offenses are not seeing increases in crime.

The LAPD by refusing to arrest these people is contributing to the increase in crime.

IMO 47 and 57 are only indirectly causing an increase in crime, as they have driven up the homeless numbers.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 AM

509 posts, read 485,025 times
Fourteen of his friends plus him have been burglarized and robbed?!?

What are they? Drug dealers or something?

Old 05-01-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
Fourteen of his friends plus him have been burglarized and robbed?!?

What are they? Drug dealers or something?
Someone has to be a drug dealer to get burglarized ? Crime is just way up .

Alanis Morrissette had $2 Million stolen from her recently .

http://abc7.com/news/$2-million-in-jewelry-stolen-from-alanis-morissette-la-home/1755033/

The risk is just too low and if they are caught at all they are in and out of jail . CA is a great place for criminals these days .

Old 05-01-2017, 09:53 AM

53 posts, read 56,039 times
What's the gun laws in CA for homeowners?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies