Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
well Tiger, you can personally all you would like, however, I'm from an older American time, and so glad we grew up then and respected the flag, held our hands to our hearts and recited to it....

there is a grave loss of respect, towards America, Americans, and American policy, culture, etc.

Now no one is talking about disposing an old flag, what they are talking about is the so called I-rate non American's burning the flag in protests....etc.
What "American policy, culture, etc." is being respected when you worship the flag?

When you disallow that which is codified in the Constitution, how is that showing respect for what this country stands for?
I will always wonder if we would even have a country if more people believed as you do and committed more completely to simply obeying the monarchy because..."respect."

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...-flag-burning/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2017, 10:48 AM

28,896 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Protesting is NOT anti-American. You know, the Boston Tea Party and all that.

Protecting free speech, and most importantly, protecting unpopular speech, is one of the tenets this country is based on.
not talking about protesting, I'm talking about burning the flag during those protests....

Old 05-01-2017, 10:49 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The Supreme Court has already held that flag burning is protected speech.

Congress knows that and won't pass legislation banning flag burning.

If we're lucky, Trump will sign an EO banning flag burning and we'll get to watch a federal judge slap him down again. That never gets old.

Donny just likes staging Dog & Pony Shows, actually accomplishing anything is irrelevant to him.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:50 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Do you know there was a time, when you could be sued, for calling other people names, for telling fake stories about others, it was called defamation of character? It was illegal to slander back then.
Nooo, tell me more of these libel laws that totally do not exist any more.

Quote:
There was also a time when you could be arrested for disturbing the peace
You can still be arrested for disturbing the peace. Seriously...

Quote:
There was also a time when you could be fined for publically swearing....
And that was a stupid idea, too.

As long as basic fire safety rules are adhered to, the only damage from burning the flag is that it hurts the feelings of you and people like you.

Well...

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u3DGO3DYi...URFEELINGS.jpg

Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM

763 posts, read 379,777 times
Quote:
Forced Respect....

that is the trouble with our nation today, parents are not teaching children to respect themselves, b/c if they did, they'd not only respect the rights of others, but also, our flags, our patriotism, our laws, etc.

Respect comes from within, and if you don't possess it, or haven't been taught it, you will never know how to react, or act.....

Laws are there for a reason, they may not always seem fair, but they are there....

Do you know there was a time, when you could be sued, for calling other people names, for telling fake stories about others, it was called defamation of character? It was illegal to slander back then.

There was also a time when you could be arrested for disturbing the peace

There was also a time when you could be fined for publically swearing....

Change is good, but a lot of changes that I have seen, was also not good. Laws keep people straight...and keeps society maintaining order....when that starts to break down, and it has over the past 30 - 40 years....society takes a nose dive....

My point is, these little laws, that we think we are breaking, helps to stabilizes all laws....keeps a person mindful of respect....for instance, one little tiny law like burning the flag, instills a repect for that flag, and also helps maintain law and order within a society, like not running red lights...

What people today don't understand, is the trickle down effect and how it happens. It's a slow process, you ignore one law for convenience, soon another law is ignored, then another and another, until BOOM....
You are very uninformed if you think defamation is no longer illegal. I'm pretty sure all 50 states have defamation laws.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I wonder if he knows that burning a flag is one proper way to dispose of it?

I'm guessing that would come as a shock to the Ignoramus-In-Chief.
Jeez louise; most countries list that in their flag etiquette information as the ONLY proper way to dispose of an old ragged flag.

What the heck is wrong with these buffoons? Each day it's another Laurel and Hardy skit from these clowns.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What "American policy, culture, etc." is being respected when you worship the flag?

When you disallow that which is codified in the Constitution, how is that showing respect for what this country stands for?
I will always wonder if we would even have a country if more people believed as you do and committed more completely to simply obeying the monarchy because..."respect."

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/...-flag-burning/
and yes, they were right, and are right, however, there is a fine line in the fabric sometime, of what should be right and what should be wrong....

So, then, why does the confederate flag offend so many? I don't think it's right, but the confederate flag stood for their beliefs...and now, they are taking down everything that reminds anyone of the confederacy, b/c to some people it depicts slavery....but that isn't all it depicts....it is a symbolism. Can you see where I'm going with this?

I can view your point of view, but can you see mine?

Old 05-01-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by user491 View Post
You are very uninformed if you think defamation is no longer illegal. I'm pretty sure all 50 states have defamation laws.
I know it's still legal, but how much is it used these days? How many times does it go to court these days?

Next to none.....

Your missing my point

Old 05-01-2017, 10:54 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
and yes, they were right, and are right, however, there is a fine line in the fabric sometime, of what should be right and what should be wrong....

So, then, why does the confederate flag offend so many? I don't think it's right, but the confederate flag stood for their beliefs...and now, they are taking down everything that reminds anyone of the confederacy, b/c to some people it depicts slavery....but that isn't all it depicts....it is a symbolism. Can you see where I'm going with this?

I can view your point of view, but can you see mine?
Point of View < Constitutionality of Free Speech

Sorry.

Quote:
I know it's still legal, but how much is it used these days? How many times does it go to court these days?

Next to none.....

Your missing my point
It's quite common actually. It's a tort for damages. Some of the biggest cases came out of defamation and libel laws. It's actually getting more common as the internet expands in use.

One common application, although it's rarely successful due to other laws conferring immunity, is when businesses sue Yelp or the reviewer to get bad reviews removed.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:57 AM

763 posts, read 379,777 times
Quote:

Next to none.....

Your missing my point
How does that matter? It is still on the books.

How can you not see that the American flag is supposed to represent liberty and the freedom we have under the Constitution? One of those enumerated rights the Constitution mentions is freedom of speech. Political speech receives the highest protection. Burning the flag, regardless of your viewpoint about whether it is right or wrong, is protected political speech under the First Amendment.

So by arguing that flag burning should be illegal, you are asking the government to trample on one of our most important rights.

Edit: You're wasting your time arguing to this law. SCOTUS has already held that these laws are unconstitutional. Stare decisis governs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies