Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 05:41 AM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
No YOUR argument simply tries to get away from the point. Simply complaining that the government doesn't work well is not getting rid of the problem that the government is ALREADY paying for other peoples service.

If you conservatives/libertarians want to get away from my argument, then you would have to be consistent and say that the government shouldn't pay for emergency services. Do you believe that? Should 911 not send the ambulance conservatives?
"If you conservatives/libertarians want to get away from my argument, then you would have to be consistent and say that the government shouldn't pay for emergency services. Do you believe that? "

Is like, "have you quit beating your wife yet"

I do NOT agree with your premise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 05:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
I could go for the right federal catastrophic insurance plan.

It would need to just cover catastrophic health issues and it would need to be paid for by EVERYONE. It would have to be funded through national sales tax or something along that line. Additionally, it would be receive money ONLY through that funding and those funds would be ONLY used for that. Debt on it could not be carried over for more than a year. So if it were to have a deficit of $125 million one year, there would be a mechanism to automatically increase the tax the following year to make up the difference.

Old 05-08-2017, 08:06 PM

783 posts, read 695,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
You completely misunderstand EMTALA.

The term “emergency medical condition” means—
(A) a medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in—
  (i) placing the health of the individual (or, with respect to a pregnant woman, the health of the woman or her unborn child) in serious jeopardy,
  (ii) serious impairment to bodily functions, or
  (iii) serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part; or
(B) with respect to a pregnant woman who is having contractions–
  (i) That there is inadequate time to effect a safe transfer to another hospital before delivery, or
  (ii) that transfer may pose a threat to the health or safety of the woman or the unborn child.

EMTALA definition of ‘stabilized’

To provide such medical treatment of the condition as may be necessary to assure, within reasonable medical probability, that no material deterioration of the condition is likely to result from or occur during the transfer of the individual from a facility, or, with respect to an emergency medical condition described in paragraph (1)(B) [a pregnant woman who is having contractions], to deliver (including the placenta).

Make sure you read the case law associated with EMTALA that even more narrowly defines the definition of "emergency medical condition."

You can be denied treatment...people are denied treatment....it is legal to deny treatment.

How much money is it to stabilize people? You know that doctors & hospitals charge EXTREMELY high rates for this. This doesn't negate the point that you are still requiring the public to pay for this. Why should the public be forced to pay for this if you don't believe that the government should be involved in healthcare?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:11 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This is a stupid attitude when it comes to healthcare, because fundamentally you can't even pay for your own stuff if you have any serious healthcare needs; your cost of care is subsidized by other healthy people in your insurance pool. Healthcare costs are by nature shared; that's how it works in any well functioning society. You can go it alone when it comes to buying shoes or a car, but you need a pool of premiums payers to make healthcare economical. This is in fact how all insurance works.
Yes I can. I have the wherewithal.

I want me to make my decisions about me. Not government.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
No, insurance companies have their own rules. And there is a lot of competition.
Expand it by legalizing the purchase of health insurance across state lines

Old 05-09-2017, 08:49 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-310 View Post
government is not the answer but the problem.

They can't manage a sandbox.

Not no but hell no.

I am not fond of paying for other people's stuff.
Yeah... NASA

Old 05-09-2017, 08:50 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
It is STILL a dodge. Because the government is still going to pay, meaning you still want to have people subsidize a terrible industry. No one has seriously made an argument against it. You all are really saying.

"I prefer to pay taxes wasting tons of money and get little to nothing out of it."

Because that is what is going to happen. That IS what is happening now.

BTW that country you conservatives love Singapore, they do it already. So the argument that it can't be done is invalid by evidence.
The idea is to get government out of healthcare. What part of increasing costs whole decreasing inefficiency don't you get?

btw which government program is run well? So the argument that it can be done is invalid by evidence.

Old 05-10-2017, 08:55 AM

783 posts, read 695,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The idea is to get government out of healthcare. What part of increasing costs whole decreasing inefficiency don't you get?

btw which government program is run well? So the argument that it can be done is invalid by evidence.
The government program that pays less for care i.e. Medicare.

The government doesn't have to be perfect, just better than the alternative. And the alternative that you don't get is that you pay more when you pay for it in a stupid way. This is why America has the most expensive system in the world because you conservatives can't have any sense about it.

This is happening because you want to pay for emergency services when people show up sick, but then allow the private market to charge anything they want on the backs of taxpayers. If you were to reform it then the system would be better.

At the end of the day you are still advocating government involvement because you aren't rejecting the notion of government provided emergency services. What don't you get about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies