Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:03 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The two police officers pulled over State Attorney Aramis Ayala on June 19.

Video captured the moment one of the officers tried to explain the traffic stop.

After first telling Ayala they ran her plate number and it 'did not come back', the cop then explained they pulled the attorney over because of the window tint.

Throughout the video, Ayala could be seen getting noticeably annoyed at cops.
Florida cops pull over state's only black state attorney | Daily Mail Online

SJWs are claiming this is a case of racial profiling, but I wouldn't come to such conclusions based on available evidence. In any event, State Attorney Ayala handled herself well, even if she was annoyed. The cops realized they had to tread very carefully once she identified herself as the "state attorney," though. That much was clear to me.

Some questions that I would like answered, though we probably won't get them answered:

1) why did the cops decide to run that particular plate?

2) if the cops didn't have a tint reader, should they have pulled her over because the tints "looked dark?"

3) are plates not coming back with any information reason enough to pull someone over in Orlando/Florida?

In any event, kudos to all parties involved for not escalating matters.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:09 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
there are any number of reasons a cop will run a plate. perhaps someone claimed their car was stolen, and gave their license plate number, but someone sending out the information kicked the numbers. there might have been a BOLO out for a suspicious vehicle, and hers matched the description, so they ran the plate. perhaps she fractured a traffic law.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 AM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Thanks. That's helpful. I get that there are legitimate reasons why cops run a plate. But the article I posted sheds some insight into why the cops did what they did (or leaves some questions unanswered) and there is an accompanying video of the encounter in the article.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:26 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Well, hope they crossed their "T"s and dotted their "I"s. The state attorney didn't seem convinced that he tag did not show and the tint sounded like a throw-in.

Reminds me of when cops in NY followed a college student home allegedly because of the expensive car he was driving. Turns out he was the son of the fire chief and nephew of a judge. The judge had given him the car to drive. The young man happened to be black. I suspect there was some fumbling and explaining there as well.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:01 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
The window tint did look dark and it wouldn't be the first time a state official broke laws either knowingly or unknowingly. The plate didn't come back... that might need some further explaining. How could it not come back, do certain state officials have plates not in the system? That might be convenient if they get involved in an accident, are someplace they don't want to be recognized or break a traffic law and then can't be traced or identified. In PA we just had our attorney general go down and the deputy Governor and Philly's DA and two city mayors ... so let's just say NOBODY is above scrutiny. Not to mention NJ's Corzine and Christy.
She handled it well and I doubt she was doing anything wrong or she would have never raised any doubts about the stop. Did she? I think the bozos suggesting it was racially motivated are actually causing her grief.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:04 AM

24,421 posts, read 23,080,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Well, hope they crossed their "T"s and dotted their "I"s. The state attorney didn't seem convinced that he tag did not show and the tint sounded like a throw-in.

Reminds me of when cops in NY followed a college student home allegedly because of the expensive car he was driving. Turns out he was the son of the fire chief and nephew of a judge. The judge had given him the car to drive. The young man happened to be black. I suspect there was some fumbling and explaining there as well.
>>>> That reminds me of an episode of "The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air."

Old 07-12-2017, 04:44 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
She should have got out of her car and said "Show me" concerning my plate. Run it again in front of me. This has to stop. Leave people alone that are NOT doing anything illegal and quit trying to nit pick something to be some sort of hero.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Dont cops cars now run every plate? I was driving and an opposite direction cop did a fast U and pulled me over for expired registration. NO WAY she could have entered my plate at a closing speed of 70MPH.

Old 07-12-2017, 04:56 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,123,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Florida cops pull over state's only black state attorney | Daily Mail Online

SJWs are claiming this is a case of racial profiling, but I wouldn't come to such conclusions based on available evidence. In any event, State Attorney Ayala handled herself well, even if she was annoyed. The cops realized they had to tread very carefully once she identified herself as the "state attorney," though. That much was clear to me.

Some questions that I would like answered, though we probably won't get them answered:

1) why did the cops decide to run that particular plate?

2) if the cops didn't have a tint reader, should they have pulled her over because the tints "looked dark?"

3) are plates not coming back with any information reason enough to pull someone over in Orlando/Florida?

In any event, kudos to all parties involved for not escalating matters.
If the window tint was dark, the officer wouldn't have known the driver was Black. Isn't that what this is really about?

Old 07-12-2017, 04:59 AM

8,386 posts, read 4,372,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
She should have got out of her car and said "Show me" concerning my plate. Run it again in front of me. This has to stop. Leave people alone that are NOT doing anything illegal and quit trying to nit pick something to be some sort of hero.
I don't think I would start demanding the police do anything like 'let me see you run my plate again'. That opens the door for conflict which is never a good idea with LEO.

I would be more likely to say, here is my license and registration. They show who I am, that this car is mine and they are current. Its not my problem about what is or is not in the computer. Am I free to go?

That is about as pushy as I would get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies