Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times

Advertisements

So the details are coming out on Trump's proposed budget. If you have Fidelity, they talk about it on their website. I was rather surprised to see one of the President's largest cuts aimed at farmers.

Here's the excerpt:

"The White House also proposed radically slashing farm supports by $38 billion over 10 years, including new limits on premiums for crop insurance and caps for commodity payments.

The plan would impose user fees of $660 million per year to help pay for U.S. Agriculture Department inspectors at meat and poultry plants."

I don't farm, but a few of my uncles and cousins do whom I'll be asking later. Do you agree that farm supports should be cut? Is the Republican party dropping its support for agriculture?

Old 05-23-2017, 05:16 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I'm sure a most farmers voted for the Trumpster. You think they're regretting that? He pulled the rug out of medicaid recipients (many who probably voted for him) as well.

A sucker is born every minute.......P. T. Barnum, an American showman (Like Trump).

Old 05-23-2017, 05:20 PM

417 posts, read 345,607 times
He will regret this. This actually makes me mad. He is going to lose all support from farmers and after his talk to Canada about dairy the American farmer was already not pleased with him. Republicans will regret dropping the farmer which was a safe voting base

Old 05-24-2017, 05:03 AM

Congress will have a lot to say about it (final budget) in the end.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:39 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,811 times
Right. So far, all we have is a proposal. However, Trump probably got the farmers attention.

uh

Old 05-24-2017, 04:08 PM

I'm sitting in a Subway restaurant in Custer, SD this a.m. and there's about 8-10 regulars around a table chit-chatting about today's politics - looks like your typical coffee club....and the whole group was railing on the liberal media and how Trump is getting a bad deal. I wonder if they're aware of the budget and how it'll affect them. I'm sure their views are typical for the SD area. I was eavesdropping - didn't offer them my opinion, they'd have thought I was some leftist pinko commie.....

Old 05-24-2017, 07:43 PM

4,862 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm sitting in a Subway restaurant in Custer, SD this a.m. and there's about 8-10 regulars around a table chit-chatting about today's politics - looks like your typical coffee club....and the whole group was railing on the liberal media and how Trump is getting a bad deal. I wonder if they're aware of the budget and how it'll affect them. I'm sure their views are typical for the SD area. I was eavesdropping - didn't offer them my opinion, they'd have thought I was some leftist pinko commie.....

There's no greater group of whiners in the world then farmers. The WORLD owes them mega-profits because out of the goodness of their hearts, they feed the world.

What a pile of crap.

I'm a farm boy who still owns some farmland that we rent out.

The 3rd and ESPECIALLY the 4th generation farmers that have had their land paid for generations ago are the luckiest people around. These people, with some exceptions, actually DO have 4 x 4 lives. They work 4 weeks in the spring, 4 weeks in the fall, and for all practical purposes they have 44 weeks off for the rest of the year. THESE are the primary people crying about how bad they've got it. Give me a damn break.

The few farmers still trying to make it while paying the very high cash rents while barely actually owning any land themselves, really DO have a reason to complain. Don't worry about them. They will be totaling gone after this generation is over. Only the big land owners will be left.

Take the dairy farms. Multiple families, like my father in laws, made very good, stable living milking cows. Unless you've ever done it, ESPECIALLY before the days of milking parlors, you have no idea how much work that was. NOW, they've totally done away with the family owned dairy farms and replaced it with ENORMOUS corporate farms almost exclusively worked by illegal immigrants. Throw in the damned state of SD's push towards these corporate dairy farms because they bring in "jobs" and the family farm is toast. Keep in mind, these aren't jobs for SD citizens, but our illustrious south of the border residents along with all their baggage.

If we were talking about the situation of a family farmer as to national trade, I'd be on the bandwagon to support our country's trade situation with the neighboring countries such as those in NAFTA. However, I'm more concerned with our country as a whole than to have a great deal of concern about our corporate farming conglomerates who basically have taken over agriculture.

The BIG picture is what Trump needs to focus on, and I believe he is.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:21 PM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
Default Just to redirect

So it sounds like there's a mixture of farmers not yet realizing what the President has proposed, intermixed with a bit of resentment on how agriculture is changing.

On the whole, this looks like a complete betrayal of farmers, but perhaps there's a twist in the silver linings.

It does appear that things are rapidly changing to scale, and scale would likely benefit a corporation with significant capital over a family farmer.

Would things like caps on the amount of insurance payouts actually be something that helps the family farmer...if it is written in a manner that farmers beyond a size of x no longer need government protections? Do larger, more capitalized corporate farms have better clout in the marketplace that price supports are no longer needed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies