Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 05:45 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,318,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
What is this? Suddenly the trumpissts are hailing a professor from one of the despised liberal universities? WoW! The hyprocisy! Or, is it spin?
I don't care for Trump and I don't care much for Dershowitz, but he's right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2017, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So tell me why Comey was fired by Trump, specifically.
Whether or not his intentions were good, many from all political viewpoints have said Comey should be fired.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:50 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,079,027 times
I too noticed that. Such tender sensibilities from some. Thought crimes and unwillingness to even listen, really listen to ideas not ones own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
This almost reads that he should be impeached for thought crimes.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:06 AM

13,714 posts, read 9,041,151 times
I am not a Harvard law professor, but I had previously noted, I think last week, that to date, from what is available in the media, there is nothing on Mr. Trump that was warrant indictment, much less impeachment proceedings.

Nixon? As it turned out, impeachment would have been necessary, based on his clear obstruction of justice.

Clinton? Impeached for said obstruction, but, to my mind, a rather petty political stunt by the Republicans. If one went by the standards then set, the bar for such proceedings was set pretty low. I do not believe in setting low bars.

Trump? One, I do not believe that the impeachment process should be for any high crimes and misdemeanors that may have occurred prior to election. If Mr. Trump 'colluded' with the Russians concerning the release of the Wikileaks emails and such, I would not consider that 'treason'. Dirty politics? Yes, but not treason.

Two: obstruction of justice by Mr. Trump since January 20th: well, the jury is still out. Let Mr. Mueller proceed with his investigation.

Those that claim that the evidence is 'clear' that Mr. Trump should be impeached, or that he should not be impeached, are probably proceeding from bias, and wishful thinking.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am not a Harvard law professor, but I had previously noted, I think last week, that to date, from what is available in the media, there is nothing on Mr. Trump that was warrant indictment, much less impeachment proceedings.

Nixon? As it turned out, impeachment would have been necessary, based on his clear obstruction of justice.

Clinton? Impeached for said obstruction, but, to my mind, a rather petty political stunt by the Republicans. If one went by the standards then set, the bar for such proceedings was set pretty low. I do not believe in setting low bars.
Clinton was impeached for perjury. People seem to forget that is what he was impeached for. Far too many in government or with the proper contacts in government get away with this.

Quote:
Trump? One, I do not believe that the impeachment process should be for any high crimes and misdemeanors that may have occurred prior to election. If Mr. Trump 'colluded' with the Russians concerning the release of the Wikileaks emails and such, I would not consider that 'treason'. Dirty politics? Yes, but not treason.

Two: obstruction of justice by Mr. Trump since January 20th: well, the jury is still out. Let Mr. Mueller proceed with his investigation.

Those that claim that the evidence is 'clear' that Mr. Trump should be impeached, or that he should not be impeached, are probably proceeding from bias, and wishful thinking.
If Trump had wanted Hillary's emails he could have got them from any number of basement computers.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:21 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,102,108 times
Comey pretty much admitted he was keep a dossier on everybody he dealt with as FBI director when he pulled out his "notes" on his discussions with Trump or whoever it was.

Does anybody remember J Edgar Hoover, and how he was blackmailing everyone in government with information the FBI had on all of them.

Do we really want an FBI director that does that? He obviously had a lot of info that he told us about on Hillary before he gave her a pass. Did he have more and he gave her a pass, because he would have her under his thumb, if she got elected? This could be the reason he did what he did before the election.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 9,041,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Clinton was impeached for perjury. People seem to forget that is what he was impeached for. Far too many in government or with the proper contacts in government get away with this.

If Trump had wanted Hillary's emails he could have got them from any number of basement computers.

I am well aware that Mr. Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice. He lied about having an affair with Ms. Monica.

As I said, a low bar indeed. Nothing to do with governing the country. And, he was acquitted by the Senate.

Or, the charges were not proven during the Senate trial.

However, if that is the bar you wish to set, we shall remember such in future.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am well aware that Mr. Clinton was impeached for perjury and obstruction of justice. He lied about having an affair with Ms. Monica.

As I said, a low bar indeed. Nothing to do with governing the country. And, he was acquitted by the Senate.
Robert Byrd said that what he did indeed rose to the level of impeachment but that he wouldn't vote for it.

Quote:
Or, the charges were not proven during the Senate trial.

However, if that is the bar you wish to set, we shall remember such in future.
Good. I think all politicians that lie under oath or anyone else for that matter should be charged.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,532,149 times
Facts are facts
Laws are laws
Feelings are feelings

The 1st two would come I to play with impeachment
The 3rd one comes into play with irrational lefty libs

Old 05-21-2017, 06:37 AM

57,410 posts, read 26,350,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Whether or not his intentions were good, many from all political viewpoints have said Comey should be fired.
Politicians say a lot of things, firing an FBI director is historical and should be based on sound reasoning and specific facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies