Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 06:26 AM

279 posts, read 356,578 times

Advertisements

I love going to the big cities....

I love them more when they're in my rear view mirror as I return to my lowly life in rural America.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:52 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
All of you describing your life in the country is like hearing a horror story for me.

I bet you are all happy. That is great!!!! I'm happy you enjoy your lifestyle. I know you are happy for me too and wouldn't ever make a personal attack because I choose to live differently. Nah -- especially you people in the country -- you all are so warm and friendly and neighborly.
Keeping in mind that this thread was meant as an attack on people living in the country, perhaps you should ask the OP why they are attacking people who live in the country.
If you like living in a city good. I honestly hope you have a good life there. Just understand that it isn't fr everyone. Air pollution and noise pollution is a reality of city life. So is higher crime, higher taxes and less individual space. To each their own. Remember, this thread was an attack on folks who live in rural communities. Perhaps your outrage should be directed at the OP.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:56 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,904,929 times
Poster name: citylove101

Thread topic: Cities rock! Rural areas are bad!

Tune in next week, where our next poster ChoclateCakeisAwesome objectively informs us of the facts about how all other flavors of cake are inferior and chocolate cake is the bestest!

/facepalm

Old 05-27-2017, 07:03 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
I contrast this to one of my brothers who lived in a suburban setting in another State where the houses are on fairly small lots. He died unattended in his sleep and was discovered a couple days later when a friend asked the police for a wellness check being he didn't answer his phone or door and his car was in the driveway. Unattended deaths means lots of police checking things, the coroner coming etc, and eventually the body being removed. The day after the funeral when I was securing the house I went to the neighbors to give them my contact info, vehicle identification, and to say that nobody except my nephew and I should be at the house. None of them even knew my brother had died despite all the activity the day his body was discovered. He had lived there for several years.
Well I don't doubt your word. That can happen anywhere. We look out for the elderly around me and we would absolutely know of someones passing especially with that kind of activity.
To be fair on the other side of the mountain there are some Jersey transplants. oddly enough 3 families from different parts of Jersey. None seem to get along and are in a constant state of feuding with their neighbors. They wanted country life. Then tried to make it New Jersey. LOL
My friend in the city struggles with parking his car in front of his own house. His vehicle has been broken into a number of times and is always scratched and dented. He lives with bars on his windows. He lives there because he grew up in that city. He talks about retirement and leaving. Will he? I doubt it. I do enjoy the variety of foods within walking distance of his house. He enjoys the peace and quiet of mine.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:14 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I think people that live in large cities and find the need to constantly bring attention to how they have it all are also people that secretly or subconsciously wish they lived somewhere in a rural area. That's what you do when you're jealous of someone else, talk down to them and pretend you're better than they are.
I would love to live in a rural area versus the city where I am. But, as the article makes clear, it is tough to make a living in rural America. If you do have a nice job, though, it's hard to beat that lifestyle IMO.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:26 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,405,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
this is like the 4th thread bashing rural America.What gives? Still looking to blame someone for the election results? Are we the majority of the country now.I live very well in a town of 1300 and am confused at this new mostly BS bashing
I agree. Seems like the case. I was going to reply but I think I'll skip it.

But just to say it short and sweet, here out in the country, we are living just fine.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:45 AM

11,988 posts, read 5,295,922 times
It's amazing how defensive and angry some people can get just by the mentioning of comparative statistics. You can live where you want too. Nobody gives a damn what you do with your life. The point is that statistically, residents of rural areas have fewer job opportunities, are less likely to go to college, and are more likely to develop cancer or heart disease than residents of any other types of communities. Use of opioids in such areas is exploding also. As far as politics is concerned, remember the "Clinton Archipelago" map that showed how comparatively few counties were carried by Hillary? The flip side is that small sliver of land accounts for nearly 2/3rds of GDP.

When Trump supporters complain about the economy tanking, these are the areas that they are most likely talking about. It isn't a new problem. It's been going on since time immemorial. It didn't start with Barack Obama, but it is accelerating, and it doesn't help by not talking about it.

Last edited by Bureaucat; 05-27-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 05-27-2017, 07:50 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Something that the statistics miss is the level of self sufficiency in rural areas. Average incomes may be less but lots of poor folks in the countryside have freezers full of meat from hunting or from animals they raise. The cupboards may be full with what they grew in the garden and canned. They don't need to spend as much [money] at the grocery store.

They may spend less [money] on heating their homes because they are burning wood instead. I buy mine cut split and delivered because I can afford it, but others buy full logs and then cut and split themselves. Some cut from their own wooded acreage. The guy I pay cash [money] to for my wood may or may not be declaring it, so incomes may not truly be as low as the govt. says. There is lots of barter going on in the countryside. Folks on average have more practical skills than urban folks as well. They don't need to hire out services (plumbing, electrical, carpentry etc) to the extent urban folks do. It is just a different way of life.

The farmer that hays some of my acreage is a win/win. He gets free hay for his beef cows and I don't have the field turning back to forest. Same story with the farmer that pastures sheep on my property.
FYI: Money does not make one prosperous. If that were true, a billionaire trapped on a deserted island would be prosperous. Money only functions where one NEEDS money and will trade labor and property for that money.

Where people have learned to live without needing money, prosperity is based on prodigious production, equitable trade, and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services. And without the involvement of money, there is no way to ACCOUNT for the money value of that trade. All Socio-eCONomic pontifications and explanations are meaningless in societies that move away from "needing money."

Old 05-27-2017, 08:39 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
It's amazing how defensive and angry some people can get just by the mentioning of comparative statistics. You can live where you want too. Nobody gives a damn what you do with your life. The point is that statistically residents of rural areas have fewer job opportunities, are less likely to go to college, and are more likely to develop cancer or heart disease than residents of any other types of communities. Use of opioids in such areas is exploding also. As far as politics is concerned, remember the "Clinton Archipelago" map that showed how comparatively few counties were carried by Hillary? The flip side is that small sliver of land accounts for nearly 2/3rds of GDP.

When Trump supporters complain about the economy tanking, these are the areas that they are most likely talking about. It isn't a new problem. It's been going on since time immorium. It didn't start with Barack Obama, but it is accelerating, and it doesn't help by not talking about it.
I've talked about how the politicians are only interested in the top few percent, that do generally live in cities, for years.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:44 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
It's amazing how defensive and angry some people can get just by the mentioning of comparative statistics. You can live where you want too. Nobody gives a damn what you do with your life. The point is that statistically, residents of rural areas have fewer job opportunities, are less likely to go to college, and are more likely to develop cancer or heart disease than residents of any other types of communities. Use of opioids in such areas is exploding also. As far as politics is concerned, remember the "Clinton Archipelago" map that showed how comparatively few counties were carried by Hillary? The flip side is that small sliver of land accounts for nearly 2/3rds of GDP.

When Trump supporters complain about the economy tanking, these are the areas that they are most likely talking about. It isn't a new problem. It's been going on since time immemorial. It didn't start with Barack Obama, but it is accelerating, and it doesn't help by not talking about it.
Much of the rust belt isn't rural, that's what Trump focused on mostly. It's small to medium sized cities with infrastructure and in those cities the rural areas aren't far from the city centers so that's where the rural people work. The key is to revitalize small to medium sized cities.

The U.S. is being stupid we focus too much on 5 metros in the entire country. This benefits real estate agents, property holding companies, etc and so on more than anyone because the cost of living keeps skyrocketing to new heights in these cities.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 05-27-2017 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies