Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 09:18 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,965,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I guess the whole 'spreading the wealth' concept has worked out well for Obama.

Interesting that the guy that sold it to him was Bill Clinton's press secretary. Looks like he made some nice money on the sale.

On a side note. Doesn't the crazy high prices of D.C homes point to possible corruption of 'public servants'?

Spokesman Kevin Lewis, in a statement, said the purchase just made sense for the family: “Given that President and Mrs. Obama will be in Washington for at least another two and a half years, it made sense for them to buy a home rather than continuing to rent property.”

The $8.1 million purchase price makes the Obamas’ new home the second-most expensive in the Kalorama neighborhood, behind the $23 million that Jeffrey P. Bezos, the Amazon founder and owner of The Washington Post, paid for the former Textile Museum.

D.C. records show that Lockhart sold the home for $8.1 million to Homefront Holdings LLC, which is controlled by the Obamas. The deed transfer was recorded on Wednesday. Lockhart bought the home in 2014 for $5.295 million, records show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1d9e04e0e02a
And? It still costs less than Trump's weekly trips to his resorts cost us. Plus they paid for it with their own money. So what were you saying again, OP?

Old 05-31-2017, 10:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
More speeches to big banks.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:45 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
No doubt a special gift from Soros!
hey now lay off Soros, I'm still waiting for my money from him for attending the women's march.

Old 06-01-2017, 04:58 AM

20,109 posts, read 9,023,728 times
Why do poor people always criticize rich people? Most of the well-to-do I know are hard working very nice people.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:07 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
I guess the whole 'spreading the wealth' concept has worked out well for Obama.

Interesting that the guy that sold it to him was Bill Clinton's press secretary. Looks like he made some nice money on the sale.

On a side note. Doesn't the crazy high prices of D.C homes point to possible corruption of 'public servants'?

---

Spokesman Kevin Lewis, in a statement, said the purchase just made sense for the family: “Given that President and Mrs. Obama will be in Washington for at least another two and a half years, it made sense for them to buy a home rather than continuing to rent property.”

The $8.1 million purchase price makes the Obamas’ new home the second-most expensive in the Kalorama neighborhood, behind the $23 million that Jeffrey P. Bezos, the Amazon founder and owner of The Washington Post, paid for the former Textile Museum.

D.C. records show that Lockhart sold the home for $8.1 million to Homefront Holdings LLC, which is controlled by the Obamas. The deed transfer was recorded on Wednesday. Lockhart bought the home in 2014 for $5.295 million, records show.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.1d9e04e0e02a
The increase in value and what the Obama paid at closing sounds fishy to me unless the values have increased so much over there.

Of course price is what two parties agree on and what buyer is willing to pay and in the end it is up to Obama to over pay or not.

It shows what a bad business man Obama is and he did the same to the Country.

In the past Obama already had a shady land/property deal with a deal in Chicago for a deal with a convicted felon neighbor.

But it makes a person think about the reason why anyone with good intentions is willing to pay such an increase unless there was a huge remodeling that makes this transaction a honest deal and not a shady deal to transfer money.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:08 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
What does it matter if Obama bought an $8.1M home. Especially with the wealth of the current president? This thread seemed to be started to show that it's somehow unsavory of him to do this. Why?

I think everyone who has come out of the presidency in, probably, the past 50 years has benefitted from it financially. Certainly, most of the U.S. politicians do in some way. I don't care for it; however, no sense singling one person out for it. What would be the reason for that?

Old 06-01-2017, 05:12 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Reportedly, the Obama's put their wealth in indexed funds, so that if the nation's economy did well, so did they. Worked out well for them and for us.

Plus, they just got a $60 million advance on a couple books. So paying $8 million for a home probably works in their budget.

Wouldn't this have made a great Househunter episode? Michele looking for something with garden space and Obama wanting a putting green.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:16 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
What does it matter if Obama bought an $8.1M home. Especially with the wealth of the current president? This thread seemed to be started to show that it's somehow unsavory of him to do this. Why?

I think everyone who has come out of the presidency in, probably, the past 50 years has benefitted from it financially. Certainly, most of the U.S. politicians do in some way. I don't care for it; however, no sense singling one person out for it. What would be the reason for that?
I don't care (as I mentioned in my previous post) whether Obama rents or buys but it does highlight the rampant hypocrisy of the Left and the political establishment that someone that made all of their money in government or selling favors of public office can afford a "temporary $8.1M home."

Old 06-01-2017, 05:18 AM

17,797 posts, read 13,698,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
So, WHAT?

Who cares?

There's always a first time for everything.
I guess the OP is trying to insinuate that there is some sort of ethical issue with the Obama's staying in D.C.

Just more right wing paranoia.

Old 06-01-2017, 05:31 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
The thing with Trump though is he admits he's wealthy and embraces it.

Obama doesn't. He acts like he's just a regular middle class guy, just like Hillary .
When I heard about their dual $65 million USD book advance deal, one of the first things I thought about was Obama's 'At some point you've made enough money' comment' and thought well.....I guess that point must be 90 million plus/100 million plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies