Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 05:25 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,449,306 times

Advertisements

I made this point before on city data but nobody really listened to me because they focused on my other question. Now Japan doesn't have to be a multiracial or multiethnic country like some European countries are because they didn't colonize so many parts of the world, like England or France. However it would be good for Japan to accept immigrants from countries that were a part of their colonial empire like Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, and others.

This could be good for Japan. Japan has a falling birth rate and this could hinder the economy.

Japan's falling birth rate posing serious problems for economy | The Independent

In addition to this, many Japanese men are not dating but if immigrants come they might have more options. I know the Japanese tend to be ethnocentric but at least Japanese men will have the option of dating outside their ethnicity or staying ethnocentric and quite possibly lonely. Many Japanese men are going to "classes" where they see naked women just so they could draw them.

I feel it is fair for Japan to open its doors to immigrants from their former colonies, at least.

Old 07-12-2017, 05:31 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,582,206 times
You need to take a history course. Japan never had a colonial empire. There are no former colonies.

What they had was a WWII era imperial empire which lasted a maximum of about 6-7 years. There were no Japanese landlords or investors that moved to Manchuria, Vietnam, China, Singapore, etc. It was a military dictatorship that still engenders bad feelings today despite Japan having more than 50 years as a pacifist nation.

Now what was your question again ?

Old 07-12-2017, 05:52 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,449,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
You need to take a history course. Japan never had a colonial empire. There are no former colonies.

What they had was a WWII era imperial empire which lasted a maximum of about 6-7 years. There were no Japanese landlords or investors that moved to Manchuria, Vietnam, China, Singapore, etc. It was a military dictatorship that still engenders bad feelings today despite Japan having more than 50 years as a pacifist nation.

Now what was your question again ?
Well if they weren't considered colonies on paper, they still colonized much of Asia.

Japanese Colonization - Indonesia Imperialism

They occupied Indonesia for natural resources and because of their location.

Japan also took Taiwan and this was way before World War II. Again natural resources came into play.

JAPANESE OCCUPATION OF TAIWAN (1895-1945) | Facts and Details

Korea was a colony of Japan way before before World War II too.

20th CENTURY: Korea as a Colony of Japan, 1910-1945 | Central Themes and Key Points | Asia for Educators | Columbia University

Japan had a colonial empire in Asia. Nothing wrong with saying that. And I don't think that there is really not much of a difference between occupation and colonization.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:40 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,731,048 times
no, it should not.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:37 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,901,614 times
Japan is going to have the allow immigration at some point or somehow get its people to start having more babies.

Japan can start by allowing strict immigration based on wealth, that is something I would do if I was Japan. Maybe they already have it, but if someone invests say $2+ million USD they should be able to get permanent residency in Japan with a semi easy path to citizenship. Japan doesn't want to allow non wealthy immigrants into their country at this point.

Old 07-12-2017, 07:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
No, it should not.

Expanding populations is not a good approach for long-term sustainability. It's an idiotic short-term , western-thinking approach, that assumes short-term economic gain is the only thing that matters, and screw all the rest that come after "me".

It's not the type of thinking you'll encounter in Japan.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:27 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I made this point before on city data but nobody really listened to me because they focused on my other question. Now Japan doesn't have to be a multiracial or multiethnic country like some European countries are because they didn't colonize so many parts of the world, like England or France. However it would be good for Japan to accept immigrants from countries that were a part of their colonial empire like Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia, and others.

This could be good for Japan. Japan has a falling birth rate and this could hinder the economy.

Japan's falling birth rate posing serious problems for economy | The Independent

In addition to this, many Japanese men are not dating but if immigrants come they might have more options. I know the Japanese tend to be ethnocentric but at least Japanese men will have the option of dating outside their ethnicity or staying ethnocentric and quite possibly lonely. Many Japanese men are going to "classes" where they see naked women just so they could draw them.

I feel it is fair for Japan to open its doors to immigrants from their former colonies, at least.
Be careful of that term. Japan's "colonial empire" was extremely short lived, some originating after the turn of the century indeed but others, what you are indicating - Malaysia, Indonesia, Phillipines, Vietnam is best described as "period of military occupation, subjugation, enslavement, and mass murder". There was no attempt by japan to really colonize as they were preoccupied with a global war - they installed puppet governments, fought the resistance, massacred civilians, shipped their woman off to "comfort camps", set up garrisons and bases and used them as buffers to allied invasion. That is the extent of there colonial efforts.

The people of those countries would never identify themselves as part of the former Japanese colonial empire, and there is a hatred that still exists for Japan particularly among the older population.

Last edited by Dd714; 07-12-2017 at 08:43 AM..

Old 07-12-2017, 09:08 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,899,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Japan had a colonial empire in Asia. Nothing wrong with saying that. And I don't think that there is really not much of a difference between occupation and colonization.
You mentioned these 4 countries specifically - Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia...don't treat them like Manchuria or Korea or Okinawa. Japan occupied Philippines for 3 years and massacred over half a million of their citizens.
Just a warning - you approach a Filipino national and say "hey you were part of the Japanese colonial empire" as if it's an honor and you are liable to get punched in the face.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:19 AM

12,390 posts, read 8,159,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You mentioned these 4 countries specifically - Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia, Indonesia...don't treat them like Manchuria or Korea or Okinawa. Japan occupied Philippines for 3 years and massacred over half a million of their citizens.
Just a warning - you approach a Filipino national and say "hey you were part of the Japanese colonial empire" as if it's an honor and you are liable to get punched in the face.
I don't know about a punch more of a what are you crazy look. To the point of having more young Japanese it might be conformation bias but it does seem like a high percentage of Filipinas who were OFWs in Japan leave a child behind when their employment contract is up. While young adults may hold onto their virginity employers seem to be taking biological advantage of their economic clout

Old 07-12-2017, 09:35 AM

210 posts, read 200,409 times
I think the question is not if they should, but more when and how much immigration they will allow. Didn't Japanese themselves emigrate in large numbers in a not so remote past?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies