Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think Bill Clinton's impeachment over lying about the Lewinsky affair was right?
I am a Republican; Clinton lied under oath and impeachment was justified 23 21.30%
I am a Republican; Clinton's crime wasn't worthy of impeachment 6 5.56%
I am a Democrat; Clinton lied under oath and impeachment was justified 6 5.56%
I am a Democrat; Clinton's crime wasn't worthy of impeachment 19 17.59%
I am an Independent; Clinton lied under oath and impeachment was justified 30 27.78%
I am an Independent ; Clinton's crime wasn't worthy of impeachment 24 22.22%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 05:26 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

I don't think his impeachment was only about Lewinsky. In fact, I don't recall that it had anything to do with Lewinsky.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 05:29 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think the hypocrisy of Gingrich witch hunting an adulterer is a fine example of how dysfunctional Congress and government in general has become. I don't think he should have lied but I don't think his affair was any business of Congress either.
Gingrich didn't "witch hunt" anything. He wasn't SOTH or even in the majority party when Janet Reno appointed an independent counsel. Why is it so difficult for folks on the left to grasp even the basic facts of the matter?

At any rate, IMO impeachment was warranted if for no other reason than to create the precedent that committing multiple federal felonies while you are the nation's sitting chief law enforcement officer is an impeachable offense.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:43 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I think the hypocrisy of Gingrich witch hunting an adulterer is a fine example of how dysfunctional Congress and government in general has become. I don't think he should have lied but I don't think his affair was any business of Congress either.
Couple of issues. Gingrich wasn't the President. He didn't lie under oath to the Senate or Congress and in the end, paid dearly in politics for his mistake. Probably the reason he wasn't made SOS. Too much baggage all these years later....

Meanwhile, thanks to the new book out on the Clintons and this campaign, we all get to see a peek at the real Bill. Not a nice guy. The irony is that Bill Clinton is probably the only sitting president that could have said, "my fellow americans....I don't think you heard me.....I DID have sex with that woman" and most would have let it go.....even Hillary...she stopped sleeping with Bill decades ago...who can blame her?

Irony there is, he beat her to it.....Christ, the crack of dawn didn't have a chance around that guy......no matter, Clinton got off (in all ways imaginable) and that...was that....we all know what the definition of is......is.....no need to split that hair Bill. He was a scoundrel liked by many, hated by as many, and got away with lying. Hillary did too until the hacks. She lied almost as well as Bill but, ultimately got caught and THAT is what cost her the election. Not the Russians. It was her server and lying that ruined her. The end.

She lost to a guy that was only barely more tolerable....amazing election...drive long enough, we are going to get a flat sooner or later......

Anyway, Bill lied. It's almost impossible to argue that point. Now? No one cares. Monica Lewinski, in fairness, has gone on with her life and now lectures about making those types of mistakes in the seat of power. Not sure why she would want to revisit that chapter but, she does. I think she gets 25K a pop so that probably has a LOT to do with it.....the most famous ******** of all time!

My favorite moment is when she came on national TV on the Barbara Walters interview and said, and I quote "he was such a great kisser".....somewhere in America, a frying pan was going on Bill's head...."watch out Monica! You have NO idea where those lips have been!!!"......something like 50 million or so were watching....nice....and yet he prevailed.....he was caught and they let him go....

Christ, getting blown in the oral, er, oval office didn't raise much of a stink, outside of the janitorial crew, some near 20 years ago. I think you would have to be satisfying a Camel in Times Square to get much more than a sound bite now. And yet, Hillary would do ANYTHING for a vote so......

Now Trump is facing as much scrutiny without the sex. Of course, he's married to Melania so that would pretty much end ANY normal man's desire to look further. She is truly remarkable to look at. Don't know how one gets Sophie and her to have such cheekbones but, it works...striking.....sigh.....

Makes you wonder, did/does Bill still carry on like that? I don't think Hillary cares, she has no morals, dignity, or self-esteem. She's more than proven that through the years. That anti-Christ will do ANYTHING to get elected. Even stay with Bill.

I do wonder though if he plays around at all. Might be hard. He's getting older by the interview. Not picking on him, he just is. Charming guy. I can see how he talked all those women into bed. Wonder where they all are now and if THEY think he should have been impeached?

Does anyone have the list of trists he has had? I remember Jennifer Flowers, that big nosed girl, Monica, and Kathleen Willett but, I read there were legions more....why don't we ask them.....mmmmmmmm?

Old 06-07-2017, 06:08 PM

26,496 posts, read 15,079,792 times
He lied under oath - which for a fact is perjury. He told others to lie, which for a fact is obstruction of justice. The investigation started due to serious allegations of crimes by women against Bill, before going off on the affair tangent.

He deserved to be accused of a crime - which is what impeachment is.

The punishment doesn't have to be removal of office, but is the most known punishment.

He shouldn't have been removed from office, but partisans shouldn't pretend that it was "just an affair" when he perjured and obstructed justice. I think the House made the right choice, but so did the Senate in not removing him.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:42 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
He lied under oath - which for a fact is perjury. He told others to lie, which for a fact is obstruction of justice. The investigation started due to serious allegations of crimes by women against Bill, before going off on the affair tangent.

He deserved to be accused of a crime - which is what impeachment is.

The punishment doesn't have to be removal of office, but is the most known punishment.

He shouldn't have been removed from office, but partisans shouldn't pretend that it was "just an affair" when he perjured and obstructed justice. I think the House made the right choice, but so did the Senate in not removing him.
Exactly. Perjury is a crime, no matter what the lie was about.

Also, Clinton was also guilty of obstruction of justice and witness tampering.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:51 PM

727 posts, read 390,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Trump won't be impeached. Hillary Clinton won't be President.

CNN rots people's brains with nonsense.
And five times a day you roll our your orange shag carpet and pray in the direction of Mar-A-Lago.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:01 PM

57,297 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Exactly. Perjury is a crime, no matter what the lie was about.

Also, Clinton was also guilty of obstruction of justice and witness tampering.
Witness tampering, the GOP leaders interviewed her behind closed doors they couldn't contain themselves in this important moment in history. I guess that's normal procedure for congress to interview victims of a consensual affair, how horrible.

Henry Hyde was the right person to head up this investigation with his experience, thank god he was never put under oath back in the 1960's.
Quote:
Hyde made the admission after the online magazine Salon, which has relentlessly attacked independent counsel Kenneth W. Starr, told his office it was publishing details of his affair with a former beauty stylist named Cherie Snodgrass. Hyde, 74, who would head any inquiry into impeaching President Clinton, is the third Republican lawmaker in two weeks to acknowledge an affair after being confronted by a journalist.
According to Salon, Hyde's affair began in 1965, a year before he was elected to the Illinois House. Hyde, who was married, was 41, and Snodgrass was 29. Her ex-husband, Fred, gave Salon two photographs of Hyde with his ex-wife. One was inscribed, "I love you Cherie!!!!" and signed "Hank, Dec. 30, 1966."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...hyde091798.htm

Last edited by Goodnight; 06-07-2017 at 07:13 PM..

Old 06-07-2017, 07:37 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Bill Clinton was not impeached for his Lewinsky affair. He was impeached for his ties to the Whitewater investment group. In the end, all that was found was the Clintons got burned in their Whitewater investment, along with many other investors.

Lewinsky was coincidental, and though some of the Republicans in the committee tried to make her a separate focus point, doing so blew up in their faces. Bringing her into the impeachment caused New Gingrich to suddenly resign from both the House Speakership and Congress, because his own affair was uncovered, and that threw the House investigation into disarray, as suddenly, they needed to elect another Speaker.

And then Gingrich's replacement, Bob Livingston, just as suddenly resigned from Congress for the same reason, leaving the House in an even greater uproar. The impeachment proceedings had to be ended fast, so it came to a sudden vote and Clinton was cleared of all Whitewater charges.

Gingrich was the sole architect of the Republican party's triumphal 2004 election with his Contract With America. He was so successful that he went straight from being a junior Representative to the Speaker of the House, and then blew himself up so totally in less than a year his political career was killed as dead as a smelt. Livingston vanished back into private life, and Denny Hastert went on to serve as Speaker for years until his own sexual disgrace caught up with him.

Sex is poison in politics, period. That's the biggest takeaway of all from that entire mess, and Trump is the only President since then who has had anything but a perfectly squeaky-clean marital record. Until then, it was an unspoken fact of life in D.C. that officials played around with party dolls.
Once in a while, when a Senator or Congressman got caught in some flagrant episode, like Fanny Foxe and Sen. Wayne Mills, who were busted while splashing around in the reflecting pool drunk on their butts, an official would resign fast and call it a day.
Much more often, when the rumors began circulating, an offender would end in in a closed door office meeting and told he wasn't going to run for office again, ever. If he did, the party would out him.

But the Watergate impeachment made anyone who wanted to be President would have to be a saint in comparison to the average person on the street. That attitude only changed with Trump's election. Up until then, only one President had ever been divorced, much less caught fooling around on the side.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:00 PM

26,496 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto Jeff View Post
I have no issues about him being prosecuted for lying under oath. It's against the law. However, I do think it was ridiculous that he was investigated for getting a blowie to begin with.
He was getting investigated for sexually harassing women and as women talked they divulged evidence.

Almost all of the evidence the women divulged was "he said versus she said" - except one woman said a different woman (Lewinsky) had a blue dress with Bill's DNA on it...which then Bill lied about when going over the accusations/evidence put forth by women accusing him of sexual harassment (none of which were Lewinsky).

Then they gave him a second chance and people told him to be honest as it was under oath, but under oath he lied again and told other women to lie to investigators. Boom - crimes, period. I don't think the crimes were enough to remove from office, but crimes - period.

Bottom line is that Bill Clinton factually committed crimes and he himself is to blame for it.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:19 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Got to give it Slick Willie for having no problem appearing on Prime Time TV and tell this lie. There's a reason that "Clinton" is synonymous with liar. None do it better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBe_guezGGc

Should he have been impeached for it. I don't think so. And I do take note that it was a Republican Senate which did not remove him from office once the House had impeached him.
Ha ha ............he was rightly impeached for lying to the American people so brazenly. He could have said, it doesn't matter if I cheated on my wife, or its no ones business what he does in his personal life, blah blah.

But, the fact that he lied so blatantly..........yeah.........that was worthy of impeachment alone.......forget the fact that he lied under oath in a courtroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies