Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 01:02 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Dollar value over time is not the same as adjusting for inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 01:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Dollar value over time is not the same as adjusting for inflation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You are aware that inflation doesnt take into account rent increases right?

And why stop at 1960 levels of income? Why not 1800? Why is no real income improvement in 57 years acceptable, why not no real income improvement in 217 years?

The more you talk about inflation, the more you show how little you know about this subject.

The value of labor does not always go up as inflation goes up.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:55 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
The more you talk about inflation, the more you show how little you know about this subject.

So you are saying that workers lose value, yeah, I'm sure that will go over well.

Good luck retaining a work force if doing so will see the workers living standard decline to stay at the same job. That's why I quit a job I had for 3 years, I'm sure I wouldn't have been alone

Old 06-28-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
So you are saying that workers lose value, yeah, I'm sure that will go over well.

Good luck retaining a work force if doing so will see the workers living standard decline to stay at the same job. That's why I quit a job I had for 3 years, I'm sure I wouldn't have been alone
What do you mean "go over well"?

A fact is a fact. You may not like the fact, but it is still a fact.

Values of millions upon millions of work diminish. They were either replaced by machines or people just aren't willing to pay for them anymore.

At the end of the day, employers pay for value. If the worker can't generate enough value, he won't be compensated.

Old 06-28-2017, 02:10 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,963,795 times
Quote:

Are you claiming that rent increases are included in inflation? Thats simply not true. Its not. Inflation include price increases for goods and services but not rent.

Employers pay whatever they can get away with. If the puppets you vote for decide to import more workers and pay them slave like wages according to the laws they make, thats what the wage will be. If workers dont have a union to increase their leverage, then they have a weak bargaining position. To claim that workers are always paid a "right" amount because that is what the employers can get away with is just oligarchy propaganda. The oligarchy dont care about you, they laugh at working stiffs carrying their water and voting for their puppets. Why do you care so much about them? Are you afraid they will call you "jealous"?

Old 06-28-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
What do you mean "go over well"?

A fact is a fact. You may not like the fact, but it is still a fact.

Values of millions upon millions of work diminish. They were either replaced by machines or people just aren't willing to pay for them anymore.

At the end of the day, employers pay for value. If the worker can't generate enough value, he won't be compensated.
Well, riddle me this Batman, why is it that a workers value diminishes, while what the worker produces increases in value (hence inflation)?

Old 06-28-2017, 03:03 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,279,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Simple answer, don't move to Seattle. Our unemployment rate is 3.1% Anyone making so little can't afford to live downtown anyway.
I think this post is racist.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Are you claiming that rent increases are included in inflation? Thats simply not true. Its not. Inflation include price increases for goods and services but not rent.
Some inflation is included in the rent increase.

The increase in rent is from a combination of:
1. Inflation
2. Demand
3. Valuation of the asset
4. Property tax
5. Repair
6. Other factors that I don't know.

Quote:
Employers pay whatever they can get away with. If the puppets you vote for decide to import more workers and pay them slave like wages according to the laws they make, thats what the wage will be. If workers dont have a union to increase their leverage, then they have a weak bargaining position. To claim that workers are always paid a "right" amount because that is what the employers can get away with is just oligarchy propaganda. The oligarchy dont care about you, they laugh at working stiffs carrying their water and voting for their puppets. Why do you care so much about them? Are you afraid they will call you "jealous"?
Everybody including you pays whatever we can get away with. It's called "Fair Market Price."

To suggest that employers doing that is somehow immoral or sinister is dishonest and ignorant.

Workers don't have leverage because there are a surplus of workers who will undercut each other. Having a union does increase the leverage, but it's doing so by monopoly, not free competition.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Well, riddle me this Batman, why is it that a workers value diminishes, while what the worker produces increases in value (hence inflation)?
Supply and demand.

If an employer can pay an illegal for $2/hour without being caught, who would hire legal immigrants and citizens for $15/hour?

Old 06-28-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Some inflation is included in the rent increase.

The increase in rent is from a combination of:
1. Inflation
2. Demand
3. Valuation of the asset
4. Property tax
5. Repair
6. Other factors that I don't know.

Everybody including you pays whatever we can get away with. It's called "Fair Market Price."

To suggest that employers doing that is somehow immoral or sinister is dishonest and ignorant.

Workers don't have leverage because there are a surplus of workers who will undercut each other. Having a union does increase the leverage, but it's doing so by monopoly, not free competition.
So in your view, anyone who doesn't own their own business is cannon fodder, did I get that right?

P.S. If you ran for office, you wouldn't make it past the primaries, even the current Republicans look like angels compared to this world view
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies