Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 07:43 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,346,267 times

Advertisements

The VA is a socialized medical system to assist veterans. Why not expand it to cover ALL Americans?
Veterans will not lose coverage and the government doesn't have to re-invent the wheel. The system is already in place.
We can stop funding foreign governments and foreign wars then use that money to expand it.

(I think they might need to improve the quality of care because something like 80% of veterans are disabled. Somebody isn't doing something right.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 07:46 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Or just open up Medicare to everyone with a corresponding payroll tax increase, removal of basic private health insurance, and mandatory participation including everyone including congress.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:50 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
The VA is a socialized medical system to assist veterans. Why not expand it to cover ALL Americans?
Veterans will not lose coverage and the government doesn't have to re-invent the wheel. The system is already in place.
We can stop funding foreign governments and foreign wars then use that money to expand it.

(I think they might need to improve the quality of care because something like 80% of veterans are disabled. Somebody isn't doing something right.)
Are you implying that veterans are disabled because of the VA? LOL. You know they fought in wars too, correct?

Also, are you aware of the problems with wait times in the VA? Do you think flooding the system with non-veterans will help this?

Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,884,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
Are you implying that veterans are disabled because of the VA? LOL. You know they fought in wars too, correct?

Also, are you aware of the problems with wait times in the VA? Do you think flooding the system with non-veterans will help this?
Yeah the VA has maimed vets. It is well documented.
The better option would be to do away with the VA and just give Vets medical cards that are accepted by all hospitals and doctors. That eliminates the waits and the questionable care.

Old 06-28-2017, 07:56 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,786,272 times
Well the OP is on to something here and it helps explain what went wrong with the ACH as well as efforts to repeal and replace.

The ACH or its replacement adds yet another program to a system that has an array of programs:

Medicare; Medicaid; VA
Employer Provided Healthcare,
Emergency Room treatment in lieu of the above.

With the exception of resorting to emergency room visits, nobody wants to give up any of the others for ACH/Replacement.

Those that have nothing like it, assuming they can afford it or bother to sign up for it, but that does not create universal health care.

So yes, the OP is on to something....

Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,346,267 times
It's the VA who determines if they are disabled.
I've met VERY FEW who were actually injured in the line of duty.
All the ones I work with have 40-90% disabilities (along with the lifetime paycheck) and their injuries are for tinnitus, bad knees, hypertension, etc. All things those of us in the working world consider part of the job.
It's ironic to me that someone can be 90% disabled yet hold a full time manual labor job.
Which leads to my point of the VA not being very good at diagnosing and healing our veterans.
maybe if the expanded coverage to all Americans the quality will improve.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:01 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post

How about not. I don't think anyone with any real credibility is advocating for an NHS style nationalized healthcare system. A multi-payer system that included a veterans focused plan would be a much better option and the VA could then be either eliminated or greatly reduced in size.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:03 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
This is a sensitive subject and I can only speak for myself, and if you don't agree with my opinion, please understand this is NOTHING but an opinion, and please don't hate me for it because I am scared too.

The VA budget appears quite healthy on paper. $150 BILLION (if I remember this correctly) was requested for a particular year. Sounds like a very healthy budget.

Except there are "hundreds" of VA hospitals and health clinics, AND this budget also includes:
The benefits provided include disability compensation, pension, education, home loan, life insurance, vocational, rehabilitation, survivors’ benefits, medical benefits, and burial benefits.

So how much of that healthy budget is actually going to the medical side, and how much elsewhere; just as how many of the 280,000 employees are in health care versus in all these other VA entities?

Chronic health conditions, like many of those accompanying veterans of combat, aren't big money makers. So it might not be the quick fix that pro privatization folks think it might be.

"Privitization" has nothing to do with the free market. It's just corporatism. The free market is based on putting decisions in the hands of informed individuals.

In my opinion, VA should never be privatized. Instead, it needs to be "PROPERLY" funded. The combination of VA + private sector to make hospitals competing for veterans' business = answer.

Old 06-28-2017, 08:05 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
How about not. I don't think anyone with any real credibility is advocating for an NHS style nationalized healthcare system. A multi-payer system that included a veterans focused plan would be a much better option and the VA could then be either eliminated or greatly reduced in size.
A multi-payer system that includes a veterans focused plan

well said!

Old 06-28-2017, 08:15 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,661,250 times
Open the VA Health System to ALL Americans

Hell no !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies