Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 08:15 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Just out so.........

A case where a church applied for a grant but was denied simply because it was a church. Court says a state can not do that.

Correct ruling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2017, 08:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just out so.........

A case where a church applied for a grant but was denied simply because it was a church. Court says a state can not do that.

Correct ruling.
Link?

Old 06-26-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Link?
Just announced in the court.......isn't one yet.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:24 AM

Ruled for the church.

Argument analysis: Justices leaning toward a ruling for Trinity Lutheran on the merits - SCOTUSblog

Old 06-26-2017, 08:40 AM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just out so.........

Correct ruling.
Yes, correct, and really unnecessary since the state had already reversed that position. The 7-2 ruling also demonstrates a strong legal position on the part of the church and not so much any difference that Gorsuch made, as I suspect some conservatives will want to suggest...

Old 06-26-2017, 03:16 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Yes, correct, and really unnecessary since the state had already reversed that position. The 7-2 ruling also demonstrates a strong legal position on the part of the church and not so much any difference that Gorsuch made, as I suspect some conservatives will want to suggest...
I don't think that this decision opens up an opening large enough to destroy the 1st.

Still, I like the Missouri constitution's adamant separation of church and state.

Of course the ruling applies to mosques, synagogues, ashrams, etc. SCOTUS I am sure internally asks itself this question every time a 1st amendment issue comes up. Whatever else these 9 people are, they are not so dense as to be unaware that others will be asking this question if they don't.

And I agree, SCOTUS would likely have ruled this way regardless of Gorsuch.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:32 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Default US Supreme Court embraces the Theocracy taxpayers to subsidize religious schools.

Well if this is correct , Welcome to the Theocracy of the USA. Maybe we should call it the UTA (United Theocracies of America.)

Quote:
U.S. Supreme Court on Tuesday threw out a lower court ruling prohibiting the use of public funds to pay for children to attend private religious schools, a day after it issued a major ruling narrowing the separation of church and state.

US Supreme Court throws out rulings barring religious school subsidies
""""entities cannot be categorically denied public money even in states whose constitutions explicitly ban such funding""""

searched did not see this story post yet, maybe i am just rubbish at searching..

Old 06-28-2017, 04:34 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
In an apparent attempt to limit the reach of the decision, at least for now, Roberts dropped a footnote declaring that the ruling applied only to discrimination for playground resurfacing, and that "we do not address religious uses of funding or other forms of discrimination."

Supreme Court: Religious School In Missouri Can Use Taxpayer Funds For Playground : NPR
This does not bode well.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
If the schools are accredited, I don't see the problem.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:40 PM

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
Well if this is correct , Welcome to the Theocracy of the USA. Maybe we should call it the UTA (United Theocracies of America.)

""""entities cannot be categorically denied public money even in states whose constitutions explicitly ban such funding""""

searched did not see this story post yet, maybe i am just rubbish at searching..
i thought this was for the playground - helping them make it safer??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies