Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 11:44 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times

Advertisements

It's starting to happen now. We're seeing cities recover but places like Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago seem to still not recover from urban blight and other issues. I'm aware that people believe that the real problem with inner cities schools starts in the home. Parents who do not demand that their children tow the line or act with respect are the ones who do not do well. If they're not being held to high behavioral standard in schools and at home then it can transition into adulthood but why do you believe this happens in the first place especially in inner cities? If these cities have gone into such disrepair then why don't the residents in the city come together? What's stopping it? I don't think the bureaucrats are to blame entirely. Corruption and financial mismanagement could be an issue in some places but I wouldn't say it happens in every city. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 11:46 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
It's starting to happen now. We're seeing cities recover but places like Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago seem to still not recover from urban blight and other issues. I'm aware that people believe that the real problem with inner cities schools starts in the home. Parents who do not demand that their children tow the line or act with respect are the ones who do not do well. If they're not being held to high behavioral standard in schools and at home then it can transition into adulthood but why do you believe this happens in the first place especially in inner cities? If these cities have gone into such disrepair then why don't the residents in the city come together? What's stopping it? I don't think the bureaucrats are to blame entirely. Corruption and financial mismanagement could be an issue in some places but I wouldn't say it happens in every city. What gives?
Institutionalized racist against black people.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:51 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,642,454 times
Out in the country we just take care of our own territory. It is a daily thing that doesn't need coming together. See trash, pick it up and throw it away. Simple as that. Clean up the area outside your door. I can't remember where I was recently but a person just walked on something that had fallen to the floor. That is the attitude that causes junky places.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:52 AM

21,155 posts, read 19,742,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
...by black people.

Old 07-11-2017, 11:56 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,316,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I'm going to doubt that institutional racism wasn't an issue 50-60 years ago. Anyone who would deny that would be clueless but that term is very vague especially in 2017. I can name insitutions that were racist at THAT time but what institutions today would fit in that category? To use that term without evidence is the same as complaining and doing nothing.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:09 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times
Didn't I just read that Portland, Hawaii (highest rate of homelessness in US) and Sacramento have huge homeless problems and NYC is having a lot of problems with their homeless population, too?

Homelessness skyrockets in New York City

NYC survey shows surge in people on streets - Story | WNYW

Street Homelessness in NYC Increased by Almost 40 Percent: Report

Street Homelessness in NYC Increased by Almost 40 Percent: Report | NBC New York

Growing homeless encampments prompt proposal for armed park rangers (Hawaii)

Growing homeless encampments prompt proposal for armed park rangers

Portland's homeless population jumps nearly 10 percent, new count shows

Portland's homeless population jumps nearly 10 percent, new count shows | OregonLive.com

Homeless Population Up 31 Percent in Sacramento, New Report Finds

Homelessness Up 31 Percent Over Two Years in Sacramento, New Report Finds | FOX40

How do you clean up this?

Old 07-11-2017, 12:10 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,100,635 times
Quote:
What's preventing people in the inner cities from coming together and clean up their city?
Great society programs destroyed families, inner city taxation, organized crime, government regulation and pollution control destroyed most blue collar jobs, the rest is due to uncontrolled immigration of people who do not share our cultural values. Unions failed to consider student needs over their own as a result our public education system has failed in many urban areas. Take a look at some 3rd world countries, some U.S. cities have become similar, to the extent a U.S. city resembles a 3rd world city and there is a lot of immigration, it's mostly due to uncontrolled immigration.

Illiterate men, who are kept from being in integrated families, tend to turn to violence and crime. Illiterate women are taught the welfare system will give them a basic quality of life IF they don't get married, denounce their children's father, don't work, and have no savings. Instead of sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell, we have women go to HUD, men go to prison. Sad fact for far too many inner city residents today.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:11 PM

275 posts, read 185,805 times
Quote:
Maybe they should team up with WV and Kentucky and find some solutions to meet a higher bar without extra help

Old 07-11-2017, 12:20 PM

5,176 posts, read 4,952,233 times
When it all started, I don't know. But it's now a several-generation-old mind set. When a child is born into a society that doesn't care about their surroundings, education, or (fill in the blank), it's all they know. If only there were more role models like Dr. Carson who worked his way out of poverty, then maybe the cycle could one day be broken. Sadly right now, it looks like it's a loosing battle.

Old 07-11-2017, 12:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,579,129 times
Quote:
I'm going to doubt that institutional racism wasn't an issue 50-60 years ago. Anyone who would deny that would be clueless but that term is very vague especially in 2017. I can name insitutions that were racist at THAT time but what institutions today would fit in that category? To use that term without evidence is the same as complaining and doing nothing.
I was being completely sarcastic in my original post.

But the real racist against the black is the Affirmative Action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies