Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:29 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,235,353 times

Advertisements

This may be a brilliant plan to kill off some Democratic voters in colder northern states. I'm sure right-wingers approve.

Quote:

President Donald Trump has proposed eliminating heating aid for low-income Americans, claiming it's no longer necessary and rife with fraud. People needn't worry about being left in the cold, he says, because utilities cannot cut off customers in the dead of winter.

But he is wrong on all counts.

Trump proposes end to heating aid for low-income Americans

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-04-2017 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 03:34 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
This may be a brilliant plan to kill off some Democratic voters in colder northern states. I'm sure right-wingers approve.

Beb0p, you're really on a roll here.

Thank, I hadn't heard this. Perhaps next he'll work to privatize water, as they did in South America. That might kill off a few more people.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:37 PM

8,498 posts, read 4,563,867 times
Can't give massive tax breaks to the rich if government is helping the needy with heating aid or health care.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:48 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
This is more complex than it looks on the surface because of the interaction between LIHEAP & food stamps.

LIHEAP (the heat assistance program) triggers higher food stamp payments and a bunch of states aggressively give out the bare minimum LIHEAP amount to far more people than need it to pull down more federal food stamp dollars than otherwise would be given (supplementing with state dollars if and when the federal ones for LIHEAP run out). Used to be $1 would do it; in 2014 the minimum was raised to $20 to stamp out the behavior but predictably several of the states just went up to $20.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/human-s...farm-bill.aspx

http://www.heritage.org/agriculture/...ojections-farm

Can get a lot of the savings by ending this link rather than LIHEAP as a whole, it's about a third as much money as the entirety of the direct spending on LIHEAP and wholly unnecessary.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:51 PM

736 posts, read 353,685 times
I think a few months ago people posted a thread about this program in the economics forum and most people said in that forum that the program is outdated and a good percentage of those people sell the oil. This program should be eliminated. The majority of people who receive this oil don't use it for heating.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:02 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,656,546 times
Good !!!!

I spend $ 300 a month on AC without any government aid. If I paid taxes I wouldn't want them going to pay someone's heating bill. I'd rather send the extra heat I have through the mail directly to someone I chose.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:24 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Once again DT proves he is a tone deaf idiot set upon catering to his own (the wealthy) at the expense of everyone else.

While in many areas of the USA utilities cannot "cut you off during the winter" what of it? Soon as the official heating season is over there will be a *HUGE* bill that must be paid and then utilities can and often do turn people's gas or electric off.

Those who depend upon oil for heating (a good part of the Northeast for example), propane or other delivered fuel don't have to worry about being "cut off". If they cannot pay for oil or whatever to be delivered, they won't have any, unless someone lets them run up a tab.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:42 PM

1,203 posts, read 618,753 times
Heating oil is not common in the Midwest. Most have electric or natural gas heat. Those who qualify get a credit on their bill. The electric/natural gas companies cannot disconnect people during the winter. Once the period ends, there is a lot of disconnections.

Every year, people freeze to death even with the heating program.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:48 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Quote:
President Donald Trump has proposed eliminating heating aid for low-income Americans, claiming it's no longer necessary and rife with fraud. People needn't worry about being left in the cold, he says, because utilities cannot cut off customers in the dead of winter.

But he is wrong on all counts.

Trump proposes end to heating aid for low-income Americans
No link within the link...

But damn.....how did everyone survive 100 years ago? That damn heating unit........oh...wait.....

Old 07-04-2017, 05:51 PM

1,184 posts, read 720,671 times
Real Pocahontas didn't use heating oil
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies