Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:36 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Here is something people can do though to avoid police shooting their pets. Don't break laws or hang out with those who do.
55 years old and never had the police come to my door.
You didn't even read the story, did you? Not breaking the law will NOT protect your pet from the police!

I am 60 and have had the cops at the door because someone reported a suicidal person but gave my address by mistake. If my dog had been outside, it might have been killed. If YOUR under-control dog would have been outside it might have been killed. Don't you get that?

Here's a newer link, where the owner who saved her dog and was arrested for it is now suing:

http://wvrecord.com/stories/51107735...y-shot-her-dog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 04:11 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
You didn't even read the story, did you? Not breaking the law will NOT protect your pet from the police!

I am 60 and have had the cops at the door because someone reported a suicidal person but gave my address by mistake. If my dog had been outside, it might have been killed. If YOUR under-control dog would have been outside it might have been killed. Don't you get that?

Here's a newer link, where the owner who saved her dog and was arrested for it is now suing:

Woman sues State Police after Trooper nearly shot her dog | West Virginia Record
Why would it be outside unattended? Unattended means not under control.
Then again my dog has been taught not to bark at people. It really isn't hard to do.
If it's in a fenced in back yard I still don't see the issue. Why would the police go to your back door instead of your front door?

I mean you can generate off the wall scenarios all you want. The fact is the majority of people don't get their pets shot by the police. Does it happen? Obviously yes. Is it a norm? Quite as obviously no.
If you have read any of my post regarding cops you would know that I am not some blind supporter of the police. I also know that there are far more irresponsible pet owners than those who take the time to properly train their animals.

Old 07-07-2017, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Why would it be outside unattended?
That's laughable! There are millions of unattended dogs outside right now!

You still didn't read the article, did you? I guess I'll have to give you a synopsis:

This dog that was saved was IN THE FRONT YARD TIED TO A TREE.

The cop was there because of a disturbance AT A NEIGHBORS HOUSE.

The cop walked across the yard that had the tied-up dog who then barked at the cop. THE DOG'S OWNER WAS NOT BREAKING THE LAW.

The cop drew his gun and has admitted in court that he would have shot the dog if the owner had not interfered because that is WHAT HE IS TRAINED TO DO.

The dog's owner was THEN ARRESTED FOR SAVING THE DOG.

I am sorry you feel that any dog, even tied up ones, that hasn't been taught to not bark at strangers is fair game for cops.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:18 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Why would it be outside unattended? Unattended means not under control.
Then again my dog has been taught not to bark at people. It really isn't hard to do.
If it's in a fenced in back yard I still don't see the issue. Why would the police go to your back door instead of your front door?

I mean you can generate off the wall scenarios all you want. The fact is the majority of people don't get their pets shot by the police. Does it happen? Obviously yes. Is it a norm? Quite as obviously no.
If you have read any of my post regarding cops you would know that I am not some blind supporter of the police. I also know that there are far more irresponsible pet owners than those who take the time to properly train their animals.
OMG! You have got to be kidding! I don't know about you, but I want my dog to bark when there is someone coming up to my house. It's my number one go to for house defense. Two, my dog will attack you if you attempt to come onto my property if you are not invited. 3, my dog will kill you if you try to hurt me or my family in any way.

And, like some people said, millions of dogs are left unattended because they are watching livestock, or they are guard dogs guarding a property.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:29 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
If a person or a dog threatens a police officer's life or safety in any way, I support the life and limb of the cop over the dog.

I love dogs, I have three and foster dogs, but dogs can be lethal weapons.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If a person or a dog threatens a police officer's life or safety in any way, I support the life and limb of the cop over the dog.

I love dogs, I have three and foster dogs, but dogs can be lethal weapons.
Sorry, but I don't see how a tied up dog's bark threatens a police officer's life or safety in any way. But maybe I just need new glasses, because they are trained to kill them.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:34 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
In any situation similar to this where they have the suspects in hand, they are cooperating, and there is no imminent threat there is absolutely ZERO excuse for not waiting a bit longer to be able to complete the incident without resorting to violence. ZERO! From their words, it seems this was a mean spirited punitive action to punish the owners for having the AUDACITY to ask for a warrant. The cops should be charged with the same crime I would be if I randomly walked over and shot my neighbors dog in their back yard.
Yes!

Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Sorry, but I don't see how a tied up dog's bark threatens a police officer's life or safety in any way. But maybe I just need new glasses.
Who are we to make judgements in the heat of the moment? We weren't there.

Old 07-07-2017, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Who are we to make judgements in the heat of the moment? We weren't there.
WATCH THE VIDEO.

I can't believe you would defend ANYONE who shoots a tied up dog. Cop or not.

The dog's owner was acquitted for saving the dog, and is now suing. The trial is set to start on July 20, 2018.

http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2016/03/w...oot-acquitted/

Last edited by Raddo; 07-07-2017 at 05:51 PM..

Old 07-07-2017, 05:38 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Here is something people can do though to avoid police shooting their pets. Don't break laws or hang out with those who do.
55 years old and never had the police come to my door.
How about this woman? Your advice wouldn't have saved her dog.

-------
In April of this year, Detroit resident Renee Attles said the police stormed into her home and killed her dog during a wrong-house drug raid:

"I am so hurt," said Renee Attles. "You all you don't understand, I am so freaking hurt. That was my dog."

Renee Attles says she ran out to her sister's car to decide where they were going to celebrate their deceased mother's birthday. All of a sudden Detroit police stormed her Ryan Street home.

"I said what do you want," she said. "They handcuffed me and her sister at her car before we even got right there. All I heard was pop, pop, pow. Just like that. I told them let me get my dog."

link is in OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies