Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 12:18 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times

Advertisements

Yes, one of my retirement funds is in various stocks, and for the last 17 years I have taken an average of $16,000 from them each December, and by the next December their value is back up to were it was the previous December, so I'd say they are doing well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 01:25 AM

1,229 posts, read 859,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I wish I owned stocks. Too late now since conventional wisdom is Buy Low, Sell High.
After reading a few of these other threads, you might be better off not owning them.

If a US attack on North Korea is as imminent as many here seem to believe, the stock market could run into a gigantic, extended down trend. There is just no way to know what the machines are going to do although bad news has been a trigger for them to buy in the past.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:29 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by At-Chilles View Post
Every Presidency since Regan has presided over some type trickle-down/supply-side economics policy, whether in stealth mode or not
And Obama had more Trickle Down on his watch than any president in US History.

Obama is the King of Trickle Down and he would blast Trickle Down in unqualified terms while his supporters cheered and then make every Fed pick a QE pusher. Hilarious. I've wondered if his cheering supporters were mostly clueless or knew Obama was BSing, but didn't care.

QE3 is 'trickle-down' economics for today: Pimco's Gross - The Tell - MarketWatch

Trickle-down quantitative easing: James Saft | Reuters

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
My point is were or are stocks overpriced? Did all the new buyers of stock or increased monetary supply drive stock prices up to unreasonable levels? On the whole, until very recently, I would say no.
My point is, Obama's stock market benefitted from the Fed's asset sheet growing ~$1,500,000,000,000.00 in the first 6 months of his presidency while inheriting a low point in the market.

Honey Boo Boo could have had an increase in the stock market were she president at that time.

By some measure the stock market is overpriced...

Schiller P/E ratio is currently 30.28, historical mean is 16.12.
Shiller PE Ratio

S&P 500 P/E ratio is currently 24.69, historical mean is 15.66.
S&P 500 PE Ratio

S&P 500 Earnings Yield is currently 4.05%, historical mean is 7.39%.
S&P 500 Earnings Yield

Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
And Obama had more Trickle Down on his watch than any president in US History.

Obama is the King of Trickle Down and he would blast Trickle Down in unqualified terms while his supporters cheered and then make every Fed pick a QE pusher. Hilarious. I've wondered if his cheering supporters were mostly clueless or knew Obama was BSing, but didn't care.

QE3 is 'trickle-down' economics for today: Pimco's Gross - The Tell - MarketWatch

Trickle-down quantitative easing: James Saft | Reuters

My point is, Obama's stock market benefitted from the Fed's asset sheet growing ~$1,500,000,000,000.00 in the first 6 months of his presidency while inheriting a low point in the market.

Honey Boo Boo could have had an increase in the stock market were she president at that time.

By some measure the stock market is overpriced...

Schiller P/E ratio is currently 30.28, historical mean is 16.12.
Shiller PE Ratio

S&P 500 P/E ratio is currently 24.69, historical mean is 15.66.
S&P 500 PE Ratio

S&P 500 Earnings Yield is currently 4.05%, historical mean is 7.39%.
S&P 500 Earnings Yield
As I previously wrote until recently I didn't think stocks were overpriced. I think the "Trump Bump" has definitely moved them into overpriced territory. Earnings will either increase or there will be a pull back. Those historically high levels is only since Nov 2016. It seems pretty clear to me that the market is betting future earnings will be significantly higher, presumably because of Trump's policies.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:21 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Overall I'm pretty flat. I'm made a killing in the stock market under Obama.
That's a load. But you keep trying.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
No the economy isn't doing well so it's not a good barometer. We're still closer to the all time high levels for people on food stamps than to the the pre crash year of 2006 levels even though UE is similar.
A massive number of people on food stamps are illegal aliens.

If people come into this country by breaking the law, then they risk being a part of the economic underclass.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:53 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I didn't vote for Trump and won't be in the future. (Also didn't vote for Hillary)
Just realize that voting for a third party candidate is an automatic wasted vote.

It is virtually impossible for a third party candidate to win the election in our system, unless there is some earth-shattering change in our politics that hasn't happened in 220 years.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:52 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,725,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
I'm retired living on small investment income. When Trump was installed, I imagined that his presidency would be chaotic, so I moved a large percentage my funds from stocks to bonds and other more stable investments.

I understand why our business community reacted positively and would be hopeful now that conservatives control all three branches of our government (thankfully not our fourth estate) and so far the stock market has reflected that confidence. So I haven't earned as much as I might have since January.

But how long will it take before investors wake up and realize that there's still gridlock in DC and no legislation is being passed? How long will it take before investors realize that authoritarian personality types don't like doing business in public and don't work well with others? How long can investors ignore his Russian investments and his, guilty as hell, behavior? How long will it take before investors realize that for all his reported deal making skill, we have a man-child in a dysfunctional WH?

As long as chaos reigns supreme in the WH, I know I made the correct decision...
Apparently you don't agree about what fuels the stock market up or down then, as commented more than a few times in this thread already...

"While most company results this quarter are supporting the case for a firm global economy that’s propelling equity gauges to new highs, questions remain about how long the rally can run amid stretched valuations and mixed U.S. data."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...s-markets-wrap

Old 08-02-2017, 09:57 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Just realize that voting for a third party candidate is an automatic wasted vote.

It is virtually impossible for a third party candidate to win the election in our system, unless there is some earth-shattering change in our politics that hasn't happened in 220 years.
Just realize that your personal opinion has absolutely zero correlation to the facts.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:00 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Sold all my stocks as I am no longer working and retired. I do not want to lose the earnings and interest I have already acquired. I am financially secure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies