Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:42 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Seriously?

If someone's gender security is that shaky, they have larger problems than what anyone else is saying to them and should seek counseling.

In any case, this whole issue of not liking something that is said to you by someone else was solved long ago by etiquette experts.

The appropriate response is to turn a shocked expression on to the person and say, "I cant imagine why you would say something like that." or "I cant imagine why you would think its ok to ask me that"

No need to reinvent the wheel.
I later stated that I don't care about that specific issue, but these messages add up in some situations. A lot of times, people don't even realize that they're saying them. All the microaggression training does is teaches people to be aware of this preemptively so they don't make these statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 09:00 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I later stated that I don't care about that specific issue, but these messages add up in some situations. A lot of times, people don't even realize that they're saying them. All the microaggression training does is teaches people to be aware of this preemptively so they don't make these statements.
Standards of politeness will evolve, but I doubt microaggression training will ever be taken seriously by the general public. It's just too ridiculous a term, and it's telling that the people pushing for it can't seem to grasp that fact.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:16 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post
What poor reporting. I was all ready to be outraged about what is presented as $250 *for this specific training.* It's not. It's for the entire registration fee for orientation per link in second article:

"Student Registration for Orientation ($250):
Registration for Frosh Orientation is*now closed. The deadline was May 1, 2017."

So orientation includes a piece on how not to offend other populations that you may not have experienced interacting with. I don't see the problem.
geezus

Old 07-30-2017, 09:35 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Standards of politeness will evolve, but I doubt microaggression training will ever be taken seriously by the general public. It's just too ridiculous a term, and it's telling that the people pushing for it can't seem to grasp that fact.
Exactly.

First of all, if you haven't learned to be socially appropriate by the time you graduate high school, there is little hope you are going to be a Rhodes Scholar at it going forward. No amount of training is going to fix that deficiency and you will only learn by getting slapped down time after time by any number of people in any number of places........whether thats college, the workplace, or anywhere else you go.

Second, if you are socially appropriate for the most part, there is no conceivable way that you can anticipate what might offend every person you come in contact with. I mean really who would think a comment about neat penmanship even if tied to sex could offend someone, lol. Too silly.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:37 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
So what are you saying? Is this penmanship a real thing, but you aren't bothered so its NOT a microagression?

Or, its a hypothetical and you just made up a bad example?

I don't get it.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:02 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Glad they didn't have this crapola when I went to college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies