Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 01:05 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

I see football being less and less of a thing and wouldn't be surprised if it went away almost entirely in another generation. It's not going to be the big thing anymore, something will replace it.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:49 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,938,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Same as if the City slickers I know who live where I live stop buying their season tickets and all the apparel for themselves and their kids . I have liberal nfl friends and family in Jersey, NY, Conn and Philly. Liberals can afford all the same junk conservatives waste money on. The NFL can't survive with just Trump supporters and racists buying stuff.
So what's your argument? No one has said libs don't like football. I'm simply postulating that conservative males (white males) make up the largest group of NFL fans. Obviously, the NFL will suffer if this group in particular is offended by the anthem stuff.

Here is a little data on NFL fans:

Quote:
A recent Experian Simmons study shows that this is true demographically. Of people who identified themselves as part of the NFL fan base 83 percent were white, 64 percent were male, 51 percent were 45 years or older, only 32 percent made less than $60,000 a year, and, to finish the point, registered Republicans were 21 percent more likely to be NFL fans than registered Democrats. Another factoid: NFL fans were 59 percent more likely than the average American to have played golf in the last year. You think the NFL is a lunch-bucket league? Not unless the lunch bucket is from Hermes.
NFL: Last sports bastion of white, male conservatives

Old 09-23-2017, 01:53 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Have the ratings for college went up or stayed about the same?

Most of the football fans I know are pretty conservative with a low tolerance for BS so I can see why ratings are down.
There's also a large group of people not watching the NFL because Colin Kaepernick isn't playing. I personally know several people in this boat..

Old 09-23-2017, 03:20 AM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
The Rams were originally from Missouri. They keep moving around so no one cares about them. Why not ask the Steeler, Patriots, and Redskins fans.... etc. Their stadiums are full
No.
They were the L.A. Rams before moving to St. Louis
in 1995 after the Cardinals moved to Arizona in 1988.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:25 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Again I will ask this question. Why play the national anthem at all? They don't play it at other forms of entertainment such as music concerts or basically anything else. Do they play it at the movie theatre before the movie begins? No. Why even make it an issue? If the game is scheduled to start at 1:05 then start it at 1:05 with the KICKOFF. Problem solved.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:28 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Again I will ask this question. Why play the national anthem at all? They don't play it at other forms of entertainment such as music concerts or basically anything else. Do they play it at the movie theatre before the movie begins? No. Why even make it an issue? If the game is scheduled to start at 1:05 then start it at 1:05 with the KICKOFF. Problem solved.
Just as it's not really anyone else's business if someone doesn't want to stand, it's really not any one else's business how one decides to start off a game.

Old 09-23-2017, 04:38 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just as it's not really anyone else's business if someone doesn't want to stand, it's really not any one else's business how one decides to start off a game.
It's merely a question. I don't care whether they do the national anthem or not.
I've got a flag in front of my house and I'm a nationalist.
But I don't care one way or the other whether they play it at the start of the game.

Last edited by BeerGeek40; 09-23-2017 at 04:55 AM..

Old 09-23-2017, 04:41 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
It's merely a question. I don't care whether they do the national anthem or not.
I've got a flat in front of my house and I'm a nationalist.
But I don't care one way or the other whether they play it at the start of the game.
I suppose the answer would be "because they want to". We do know though that the NFL was paid off to do things like this by the government.

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/4/9...report-million

So...........make what you will of that. Is paid patriotism real patriotism?

Old 09-23-2017, 06:48 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,197 times
I find it ironic that, as a form of peaceful protest, some NFL fans claim they no longer tune into football due to a handful of players peacefully protesting during the national anthem. Just out of spite I think I will protest the protesters of the original protesters. I am confident that my protest will clear things right up.

Just how weak is ones patriotism ... to allow a few players kneeling ... to keep someone from watching a game they enjoy?
I mean, the kneeling players went on to play the game. The show must go on. And it did. The product was no different because of a few kneeling players. I want to stress that point. The game was no different because of what happened during the anthem.
When the President of the United States says that these kneeling protesters should leave the country or be fired from their jobs I cannot help but hang my head in shame. To me that is the ultimate disrespect of our flag (country). In my opinion, the guy who represents us on the world stage just spat in the face of that rag tag bunch who gave the finger to the King of England. And the women who wanted a say. And those who no longer wanted to drink from separate drinking fountains. Or those that did not agree with the Vietnam war. And many other protesters, whether they were "successful" with their protests or not.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

It seems those highlighted parts no longer apply. Sad.

Old 09-23-2017, 06:52 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,668,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I suppose the answer would be "because they want to". We do know though that the NFL was paid off to do things like this by the government.

https://www.sbnation.com/2015/11/4/9...report-million

So...........make what you will of that. Is paid patriotism real patriotism?
You must be one of the Russian posters that help the trump campaign rig the election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies