Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:29 AM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Perhaps I am not the best to understand all this. I don't smoke pot, rarely drink and enjoy life and have no need to escape it. If one needs to regularly take the edge off or escape reality they need to ask why.
You also appear to be locked into the stereotypes. Please read my previous post. In my case it is NOT about escape. FYI, millions of regular users don't use it as an escape.

But the stereotypes are too strong. It will take a very long time to break away from them.

Quote:
I use it for focus, creativity, and energy. I don't ever use the strains that produce the effects that are so stereotyped: Couch lock, munchies, lethargy, and lack of motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 08:55 AM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
You also appear to be locked into the stereotypes. Please read my previous post. In my case it is NOT about escape. FYI, millions of regular users don't use it as an escape.

But the stereotypes are too strong. It will take a very long time to break away from them.
No, I am going by personal experience of people around me not stereotypes. If some of my personal experiences mirror your stereotypes so be it.

Pot smokers I have known rationalize why they smoke. Its some complicated explanation instead of the truth that they like to get high. Perhaps I get this sort of thing from people since I am a non pot smoker and skeptical of its necessity. I know people with chronic pain issues of which pot helps them greatly. I don't judge them. I understand. Most people I know who smoke pot are not in chronic pain.

Pot smokers always put themselves up on this pedestal that what they are doing is much better than cigarette smokers, alcoholics or dangerous drug users or even gamblers. And when you compare it to very destructive addictions sure it looks better in comparison. But to say its not some sort of escape from a sober life is denial.

And if you have young children. Deal with the kids as the priority. Life can be tough. If you need to escape from it wait till the kids are asleep.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 08-02-2017 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 09:11 AM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
No, I am going by personal experience of people around me not stereotypes. If some of my personal experiences mirror your stereotypes so be it.

Pot smokers I have known rationalize why they smoke. Its some complicated explanation instead of the truth that they like to get high. Perhaps I get this sort of thing from people since I am a non pot smoker and skeptical of its necessity. I know people with chronic pain issues of which pot helps them greatly. I don't judge them. I understand. Most people I know who smoke pot are not in chronic pain.

Pot smokers always put themselves up on this pedestal that what they are doing is much better than cigarette smokers, alcoholics or dangerous drug users or even gamblers. And when you compare it to very destructive addictions sure it looks better in comparison. But to say its not some sort of escape from a sober life is denial.

And if you have young children. Deal with the kids as the priority. Life can be tough. If you need to escape from it wait till the kids are asleep.
Weed is not a drug, it is a natural lifestyle enhancement product.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:

So interesting to hear "expert" comments from non-users.

Besides creativity (which it works for, research it), focus (which it works for, research it), and energy (which it works for, research it), I also used it for this:

I am a child of two chain-smoking alcoholics, with countless (literally countless) sleepless nights spent in my childhood listening to my drunk parents fight. This rampant alcoholism goes back many generations in my family, and most professionals will tell you that a child of two alcoholic parents has a 90% chance of becoming an alcoholic themselves.

I have successfully overcome the alcohol demon in my family with cannabis. I can even crown this achievement, by telling you how my 38 year old daughter does not drink to this day. Breaking a generations old alcohol addiction in my family is something I personally consider to be an outstanding achievement.

Compare this to my 71 year old brother, who wasn't able to escape the hold of alcohol. I could fill the next 2 pages with his trials and tribulations as a lifelong alcoholic.

But you go ahead and judge ALL non-medical users. Your experience obviously is greater than my 45 years worth.

https://azarius.net/news/306/Carl_Sa...y_on_cannabis/

Old 08-02-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
So interesting to hear "expert" comments from non-users.

Besides creativity (which it works for, research it), focus (which it works for, research it), and energy (which it works for, research it), I also used it for this:

I am a child of two chain-smoking alcoholics, with countless (literally countless) sleepless nights spent in my childhood listening to my drunk parents fight. This rampant alcoholism goes back many generations in my family, and most professionals will tell you that a child of two alcoholic parents has a 90% chance of becoming an alcoholic themselves.

I have successfully overcome the alcohol demon in my family with cannabis. I can even crown this achievement, by telling you how my 38 year old daughter does not drink to this day. Breaking a generations old alcohol addiction in my family is something I personally consider to be an outstanding achievement.

Compare this to my 71 year old brother, who wasn't able to escape the hold of alcohol. I could fill the next 2 pages with his trials and tribulations as a lifelong alcoholic.

But you go ahead and judge ALL non-medical users. Your experience obviously is greater than my 45 years worth.

https://azarius.net/news/306/Carl_Sa...y_on_cannabis/
There is such a thing as self control. Personally myself I am concerned about becoming addicted to things. I have seen it all and decided on self control.

I just said that every non medical issue pot smoker I know has given me a long complicated explanation of why they do what they do and how pot is the better choice if you have an addiction. And then you do exactly the same thing. Thanks for proving my point. Perhaps 45 years of pot smoking has made you less focused than you think you are.

You kept from being addicted to one substance by becoming addicted to another one. That is not rationalizing?????

Norm McDonald has this joke about gambling. Sure its an addiction but its the only addiction where you can become filthy rich.

Rationalization.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
There is such a thing as self control. Personally myself I am concerned about becoming addicted to things. I have seen it all and decided on self control.

I just said that every non medical issue pot smoker I know has given me a long complicated explanation of why they do what they do and how pot is the better choice if you have an addiction. And then you do exactly the same thing. Thanks for proving my point. Perhaps 45 years of pot smoking has made you less focused than you think you are.

You kept from being addicted to one substance by becoming addicted to another one. That is not rationalizing?????

Norm McDonald has this joke about gambling. Sure its an addiction but its the only addiction where you can become filthy rich.

Rationalization.
Unbelievable. I have come across your type often myself, including a previous poster in this thread. You are someone who has had a bad experience, or know someone close who has had a bad experience, and as a result you have a completely biased viewpoint. The previous poster admitted openly that is the case, but you appear to claim expertise.

You will NEVER get it. You are too close minded. If I told you I had 45 years of experience with growing grapes, you would probably proclaim me as an expert on grapes. But since we are talking about cannabis, not only do you disregard the experience, you further seem to believe that there is no such thing as a cannabis expert! After all, anyone who uses it is less focused, right?

You take the cake for closed mindedness.

But thank you anyway for not being a prohibitionist.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:53 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
It's a plant.

Outlawing plants is stupid policy.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Unbelievable. I have come across your type often myself, including a previous poster in this thread. You are someone who has had a bad experience, or know someone close who has had a bad experience, and as a result you have a completely biased viewpoint. The previous poster admitted openly that is the case, but you appear to claim expertise.

You will NEVER get it. You are too close minded. If I told you I had 45 years of experience with growing grapes, you would probably proclaim me as an expert on grapes. But since we are talking about cannabis, not only do you disregard the experience, you further seem to believe that there is no such thing as a cannabis expert! After all, anyone who uses it is less focused, right?

You take the cake for closed mindedness.

But thank you anyway for not being a prohibitionist.
I have had no personal bad experiences like you have had. My close family members fortunately were not drug or alcohol addicted. Some had big issues but not those kind.

Where I grew up I did know lots of people with different addictions as has been the case for all of my life. Cigarettes, alcohol, pot, and so called dangerous drugs. You are far from the first recreational marijuana user I have spoken to or known. 40 plus years of experiences like this. I was in business where I had to identify drug use before hiring someone. We did not have the budget to drug test every applicant. By necessity you get good at picking out those with issues. Not a perfect science but I usually got it right.

I am not an alcoholic but I don't have to be one to have an opinion on it. And I am not a pot smoker but I have formed an opinion on recreational pot smoking. And for whatever reason pot smokers find the need to justify smoking pot more than other things. And you don't need to. Enjoy it. If you have impressionable children keep it at a distance to them.

Just like the name of this topic I don't believe pot smoking makes people better parents. If you believe you think better, clearer etc under the influence good for you. Clearly smoking pot gives some people that belief. My personal observations of people under the influence of pot while I was sober is I highly doubt that it is really the case. They are certainly not outwardly more focused. Not in the least.

If you are going to choose an addiction like you have done pot is a better choice than alcohol. I agree with you. And just like alcohol people should be free to use it without fear of going to jail if they are consuming it in a responsible way. But I guess its the holier than thou attitude that its not at all an addiction that rubs me the wrong way. It is just like food, sex and any number of things can be.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 08-02-2017 at 10:31 AM..

Old 08-02-2017, 10:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
If smoking pot helps them be better parents and more productive citizens, let'em smoke it.

Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,045,543 times
Quote:
Reaction times may be slowed
Coordination may be impaired
Yeah alcohol does that also. But here is the difference, you CAN be high on marijuana and play as a wide receiver or sprint a race(not saying it helps you but you can do it) you literally can't do these when drunk. Big difference.

Quote:
Marijuana makes you lazy
I think most people who smoke and are lazy would have been lazy without marijuana. I think we will see more of the good marijuana users come out of the closet, athletes, top level executives, teachers, etc If pot smokes had some sort of sign on their chest that everyone could see, I think we would be very very surprised at how many successful people smoke pot. Hell how many Presidents admitted to doing it? The last handful of Presidents tried it on more than one occasion.

If you are still against Marijuana as a choice someone can make(not saying you have to like it or believe it has medicinal uses) pay attention, there are bigger fish to dry. Like alcohol, prescription drugs, GMO, chemicals all around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies