Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2017, 01:57 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
I'm not privy to the policies of the NYCSD. What kind of social engineering kabuki theater do the megalomaniacs got going on over there?
Some now call it 'educational gentrification'!

Brooklyn Tech had once had a reputation of being the school 'black kids' were steered to! For example, L. Londell McMillan went to Tech in the 80s. As a lawyer, (add to that Cornell undergrad and NYU Law), he is highly 'unqualified' to represent the estates of both Prince and Michael Jackson! Countless others that I grew up with, I can give you examples! But now, as you can see with the data, the 'steering', or 'social engineering kabuki theater', as you call it, is going the other way......!

http://www.chalkbeat.org/wp-content/...2.21.38-PM.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 01:58 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
AA by definition is racist. Those who support it are racist as well as sexist.
I gave you the definition of racism.

Affirmative Action is not racism....

It makes no remarks regarding the inferiority or superiority of any group of people based on physical characteristics.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:58 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
If the Trump wants to eliminate AA, then he should just as aggressively eliminate legacy admissions, of which he was one.
He doesn't want to because that it is a form of affirmative action for whites. That's ok with him, of course.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:01 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Qualified minorities would have been rejected if not for affirmative action. Just as the government had to force desegregation, it had to force universities to admit qualified students of color. Racist whites caused affirmative action and anyone who acts is though they did not is in denial of their own prejudice.

Talk to me when you are in favor of removing ALL racial identification in college admission period and throughout society on a whole.
On the bold, I'd add also gender identification and requests for financial information AND especially names/legacies in regards to college admissions of children of wealthy families.

IMO to get rid of AA all interviews would need to be blind and when speaking everyone would need to have their voice go through a machine to make them sound like a robot lol.

I don't think that bias and prejudiced in school and the workplace, honestly, will ever go away.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:01 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,674,904 times
So, then, are we going to 1) emphasize class, and 2) improve those schools in poor neighborhoods, so that those in those neighborhoods can get a shot at doing well on the SAT's.....!

I think I know the answer.....!

Old 08-02-2017, 02:02 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Forget "racism" in the modern context, that's the gist of the problem right there. The real privilege is the privilege of being born to two parents who can educate you & guide you towards a quality life. I'd much rather be born Black to parents who are college educated & have a plan, than be born White in a trailer park to a meth head Mom & a dead-beat Dad.

The real debate shouldn't be why everything is so racist today (because it's not), but rather how to repair the damage racism did to the Black community in the past. Reparations are a non-starter. Affirmative action is filled with unintended consequences that cause more problems than it solves. The real solution is to incentivize poor family's (mainly Black, but all races face the same issue on some level) to stay together, so that kids aren't being raised in single parent households. How do you do that? You help the fathers earn an honest living so they have self-worth & can be good examples to their kids. You provide job training & actually place JOBS in the inner-city! You create mentor-ship programs. You teach people trades. You demand employment from able-bodied welfare recipients. You wean people off the dependency & teach self worth.

As for education, you demand the same of those kids in public schools as you do from any other kid. The idea that poor Blacks are so helpless & feeble, that we have to eliminate homework, discipline and pre-graduation skills testing, has negative consequences, not positive ones. You don't place unqualified kids into higher education scenarios that they're unprepared to handle. Everyone goes where they should & people need to work their way from there. That doesn't mean poor Blacks who score poorly shouldn't have an opportunity to go to school if they're applying themselves. That's what state schools & community colleges are for. That teaches equality. It instills hard work, perseverance and instills pride in having earned their way.
Good post, I can get behind much of this. It's definitely complex.

One thing is, even if you present a "level" playing field by eliminating AA, those who come from middle, upper middle, upper class families more than likely will still have advantages through resources, money, legacy admissions and so on. Those without the guidance and resources more than likely get left behind and remain apart of the vicious cycle.

And then there will be those, who haven't experienced what that is like, will respond with, "oh well" and "that's how the cookie crumbles". But those will undoubtedly be the same people who will turn around and complain about crime/drugs/other issues in those poor/inner city communities.

Everyone gets help. Some get it in different ways. Some are born with it, others have policies to help them. Some get small, seven figure loans.

And thanks for being intelligent enough to actually have a thoughtful response, unlike other posters.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:03 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,174,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I gave you the definition of racism.

Affirmative Action is not racism....

It makes no remarks regarding the inferiority or superiority of any group of people based on physical characteristics.
Don't waste your time. Not even in your league.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:04 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,749,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
This black woman isn't. Your thought on what our government thinks of us is wrong. AA is getting a foot in, whether it's college or jobs. Trust me, once you are in and you can't keep up with the others, you drop out or get let go.
Which is partly why the college drop out rate is so high for Black students & graduation rates so low.

I read an interesting article in the local paper where Black students (poor Black students more specifically) were angry with the local public high schools for letting them graduate unprepared.

Pre-graduation testing has been eliminated to raise graduation rates for Black students. Discipline has virtually been eliminated for Black students. Homework has been eliminated or virtually eliminated in order to give the appearance of equality & help poor Black graduate. Entrance requirements to college have been relaxed to let unqualified Black students in.

What are the results? These inner-city Black students were angry that they'd been given their diplomas and sent off to college, being told they were qualified. Once on campus, they had to do placement tests and the average Black student from our school district was 2.5 years away from ever earning a college credit that counted towards graduation. While the other students took their Freshmen & Sophomore requirements, the Black inner city kids were stuck taking remedial classes. They were also required to turn in homework now, study for tests & behave themselves. They became frustrated, embarrassed & eventually far too many dropped out because they saw it as hopeless. Now, they've dropped out, have student loan debt they can never repay, have no degree & no real job prospects.

The PC educational & Affirmative Action policies helped no one but well-off, White school administrators & corporate bankers who got to sink their teeth into these unqualified students for loans.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:04 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Racism and sexism are wrong.

Sorry, no way around it.
Then you should also complain when White women benefit from affirmative action. I will take it serious when people complain about EVERYBODY who benefits from AA, legacies, and having someone buy their way into acceptance.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:05 PM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Chick on CNN just stated affirmative action is a civil right for people of color. Whhhhaaaattttt??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies