Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2017, 08:33 AM

1,640 posts, read 795,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
None of this applies to only Ivy schools. Top-ranked state flagship universities can be very selective, as well.
I think the data is being conflated and inaccurately interpreted. Using 4 year degree completion as an outcome metric for enrollment in 2 year degree programs, and subsequently using that as a way to highlight drop out rates as an argument against AA in Ivy's, flagships, or even B schools, is a misuse of the data. People need to be careful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:49 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I think the data is being conflated and inaccurately interpreted. Using 4 year degree completion as an outcome metric for enrollment in 2 year degree programs, and subsequently using that as a way to highlight drop out rates as an argument against AA in Ivy's, flagships, or even B schools, is a misuse of the data. People need to be careful.
If certain demographic groups, in general, can't hack it at a community college, what makes you think they are qualified for a selective admissions 4-year college?

Old 08-03-2017, 08:50 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Oriental are people from the Orient, which is what I mean. Not from anywhere in Asia.
I see that you're quite obstinate after being informed several times that Oriental is an archaic term that isn't used to refer to people? Not surprised, really.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:50 AM

6,828 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
What makes you think people don't know that Asians, in general, outperform everyone else academically?

And if eliminating Affirmative Action in college admissions removes the handicap placed on Asians for their high levels of achievement, how is that a bad thing? Why shouldn't college admissions be merit-based?

I did not make my first post clear so I will add this one. If whites think going strictly merit based is going to help them they will find out it will not. Blacks/hispanics make a much smaller percentage than Asians and Indians at elite schools. Removed AA and you will a decline in black/hispanic numbers but it will not surpass the increase in numbers that we will see with Asians/Indians. My point is Asians/Indians not whites will benefit the most with the removal of AA from elite schools. Ask a student at Stanford if you think this is not correct. In other words many whites are looking at the minorities who are taking their spots but don't understand they are taking a larger number of spots from Asian/Indian. Make everything equal and their numbers will drop at a larger rate than those of blacks/hispanics. If legacy admission was removed (it will never happen) those numbers would be even worse.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I did not make my first post clear so I will add this one. If whites think going strictly merit based is going to help them they will find out it will not. Blacks/hispanics make a much smaller percentage than Asians and Indians at elite schools. Removed AA and you will a decline in black/hispanic numbers but it will not surpass the increase in numbers that we will see with Asians/Indians.
Nope. Read Post #72 again and note the respective SAT score point bonuses and penalties. Asians aren't penalized as much as Blacks and Hispanics are propped up artificially.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:00 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Lol. So now whites will finally stop crying when minorities still get into institutions and eventually beat them out for jobs, like me.
Not to step on your happy dance, but admissions doesn't mean graduation. The dropout rate of college students is significantly higher among black students than it is white students.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Not to step on your happy dance, but admissions doesn't mean graduation. The dropout rate of college students is significantly higher among black students than it is white students.
Sadly, that's true.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:13 AM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times
I've long noted that there are huge problems with race-based Affirmative Action standards.

IRONICALLY I think it's increasingly bad for a lot of poorer black students to look at "black" instead of considering metrics like the school they attended, family income etc. because it's a whole lot easier to rock the SAT when you can do all the prep classes etc. instead of having to work 25 hours a week to help the family. (Same goes for other races)

You see more and more black youth coming into those schools with parents that are educated and nowhere near poor so those applicants would naturally squeeze out black applicants that were poorer and with less opportunity.

This phenomenon has even been noted and complained about within the black community when schools start giving slots to students applying from Africa and thus counting as black diversity.

Also noting that there are so many people out there that are 1/4 this, 1/4 that....I know all kinds of people that look white that have enough black\Mexican etc. in them to qualify for scholarships and fill out forms as non-whites...so frankly that stuff needs to go away and we need to focus on their personal background, economics etc.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:19 AM

6,828 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Quote:
Well, here's the reality:

For Asian Americans, a changing landscape on college admissions - LA Times

Whites are treated on par, given neither a bonus nor penalized.

At a school like Stanford blacks make up 6% of the student body. Remove the athletes and that number would drop to about 4%. Whites make up 36% while Asians make up 21%. Base admissions on strictly merit and you find white students would suffer a hell of alot more than blacks base on the percentages. Whites would gain the 2% of the black spots but they would lose a hell alot more spots than 2% to Asian students.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
At a school like Stanford blacks make up 6% of the student body. Remove the athletes and that number would drop to about 4%. Whites make up 36% while Asians make up 21%. Base admissions on strictly merit and you find white students would suffer a hell of alot more than blacks base on the percentages. Whites would gain the 2% of the black spots but they would lose a hell alot more spots than 2% to Asian students.
Show the math on that. Remember that there's a 50 point SAT score difference between Asians and Whites, and a 200 point difference between Blacks/Hispanics and Whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies