Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:33 AM

672 posts, read 699,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I'm not buying that. There are all kinds of government grants, scholarships, and other financial aid available to low-income minority students that the white middle class students can't get.
ReineDeCoeur is correct to asses that money does play a factor in college attendance for many black people.

What about working class to middle class blacks? That makes up the majority of black americans. What do they get? My sister graduated with $38k in student loans. I no longer qualified for a pell grant when my income reached $12k my first year working combined with my dad's working class $42k yr at the time. He could in no way help me pay for school and they don't give out student loans for public community colleges to my knowledge. If I didn't have an academic scholarship I would have had to stop attending after my first year.

If a one time $300 minority grant towards my tuition, that I didn't ask for or had any knowledge of, constituted as lopsided unfair advantage against white students, I don't know what to tell you.

Black students have to take out loans just like their white counterparts. I would say that the majority of black college students don't know about all of these 'wonderful loans' for minorities that you guys always talk about. Many of them end up saddled with student loan debt with mediocre job prospects just like any other student in today's economy. Only, they don't have the same general economic safety net that their white counterparts have. The wealth gap between whites and blacks as a whole are real, even if it's not so apparent to some who like to act like an ostrich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 10:42 AM

672 posts, read 699,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why are their public schools subpar? We already know it isn't lack of funding. Camden, NJ and Washington, DC spend among the most per student of all public school districts in the US yet continue to have subpar schools.
How much of that funding actually makes it into the classroom? It seems that many public school systems tend to be top heavy in administration.

Low test scores! Let's cut teachers and add some more administrative level people to micro manage teachers even more.

I will agree with you; that the majority of your inner-city public school systems leave much to be desired. I just don't think a voucher program or charter schools will solve the problems. In my city, charter schools, which just came online in the last few years, for the most part are doing worse than the city schools.

Last edited by dc1538; 08-27-2017 at 10:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies