Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 12:16 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times

Advertisements

Most civilized countries have a merit based immigration system so it's about time we did the same.
More information here.

The Alt Left should be happy because they are always crying for immigration reform. Be careful what you wish for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 12:54 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Immigration needs to be overhauled but not like that. Trump thinks we lrt criminals in? No, they are subject to a background check.

Merit based is good but don't let up on marriage based or people sponsoring their parents. As usual, he goes to far, too cruel.

Most important is to curtail illegals.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:03 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
Wow. Let people in who will improve the country--novel idea!

Diversity for its own sake is sick. The end result of absolute, unchecked diversity is the Middle East and the Balkans, two of the most violent places on earth. Nor is Japan suffering because it lacks that woderful, magical diversity.

Forced diversity when you are still pushing affirmative action policies is criminal, pure and simple.

Enough divsersity for the sake of a slogan. From now on, make immigrants state up front what they are brining to the table.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
IMO nobody who is immigrating should get access to any entitlement unless they deserve so by having built up the points like anyone else is required.
No welfare and no food stamps for a minimum of 15 year.

If they can't afford to pay for health care and don't speak English then no green card!

That's my two cents. Btw that's also how my country of birth handles immigration so nothing weird about these requirements.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
If they can't afford to pay for health care and don't speak English then no green card!
Little problem of English not being our official language, here.

I think it should have been made official, but that bus has probably already left the station and we would end up with Spanish as a second official language in some states.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
IMO nobody who is immigrating should get access to any entitlement unless they deserve so by having built up the points like anyone else is required.
No welfare and no food stamps for a minimum of 15 year.

That's my two cents. Btw that's also how my country of birth handles immigration so nothing weird about these requirements.
You would likely be happier in the country of your birth.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:12 AM

1,350 posts, read 2,299,479 times
I have a very difficult time supporting Trump. 99% of the things that he does are appalling.

This I would support. We don't even let the citizens of our closest allies have a good chance at residency in America. For example, its very difficult for a British citizen to move to America. They can marry an American or get an H1B (or L1B) but you cannot just apply for residency. You can have education, experience....nope. Canada, NZ and Austrailia have a merit based system though.

26,467 posts, read 15,053,236 times
If Automation is truly going to do away with large swaths of low-skill jobs and even some high-skill jobs in the next 2 to 3 decades, it makes sense to stop taking in so many low-skill immigrants. This isn't the Second Industrial Revolution anymore where factories can't get enough bodies in the door.

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Most civilized countries have a merit based immigration system so it's about time we did the same.
More information here.

The Alt Left should be happy because they are always crying for immigration reform. Be careful what you wish for!
Whether or not you have a merit system or a set of criteria what the heck does it matter.

Immigration problems in the USA does not stem from those who go through the proper channels.

This is lipstick on the pig.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:16 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Yes, stop the flow of ILLEGAL ALIENS. They don't go through ANY background checks. I know that the Trump Admin has reduced the flow from Mexico, and central/south America which is a good start. I would support a merit based system like most other countries have as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies