Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 04:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
For First Time in Modern Era, Living With Parents Edges Out Other Living Arrangements for 18- to 34-Year-Olds | Pew Research Center

Pew Poll results attribute this broad shift in living arrangements to "primarily the dramatic drop in the share of young Americans who are choosing to settle down romantically before age 35."

According to Pew 32.1% in the 18-34's demographic live with their parents. That compares with 31.6% married or cohabitating.

But anyone who has been following the economy as well as social trends knows that

1. fewer college grads can find jobs that pay the food and rent
2. Additionally, they are graduating with crushing college debt that often equals a house payment. Read the horror stories

Real Student Debt Stories • Student Debt Crisis

Also cited are the fact that few women will get into a romantic relationship with a young man who has little or no good job prospects. This results in a lower birth rates among the middle to upper middle class. Also cited are men and women unwilling to get into a relationship with a partner $100,000+ in college debt.

Don't expect this problem to get better. Socioeconomic pressures are just going to push greater and greater numbers of young people back home. Their only hope of ever owning a home is if they are single children who inherit their parents' house.

The Regressive's, that call themselves Progressives, News at 11.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 04:32 PM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't like Trump's personality, but he knows a heck of a lot more about business than the Community Organizer before him.
Using this logic, then we can make the same argument that Obama knew a heck of a lot more about the Constitution than the businessman after him.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:38 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
It's because Millennials are lazy. All they have to do is go out there and grab one of the many high-paying jobs waiting for them and then they can purchase an affordable home in a desirable area.

Old 08-03-2017, 04:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Thread title is incorrect. The article says: "In 2014, for the first time in more than 130 years, adults ages 18 to 34 were slightly more likely to be living in their parents’ home than they were to be living with a spouse or partner in their own household." However, more are living alone or as single parents, or in some other arrangement such as with a grandparent, aunt/uncle, sibling, or residing in group quarters such as a dorm or in jail, 36% in 2014 vs 25% in 1880. Plus, in 1940, more lived w/parents than at any other time, 1880-2014.
Source: link in OP

Old 08-03-2017, 04:49 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I don't mean to break your Biology degree superiority complex, but there is nothing more worthless than wasting money on an apartment.
False. Around here I could rent for around $400-500/month and $650 a month very comfortable, but buying something, anything at all, will cost double that per month when factoring in utilities, property taxes, insurance, etc.

If you don't need the extra space renting is practical and money saving. Houses are money pits. I got my house at auction and had instant equity from buying it, otherwise I would have kept renting. Throwing away an extra $500+ a month just so I can "build equity" is foolhardy. Add in all the expected and unexpected expenses, the time cost of yardwork and cleaning, and houses aren't for everyone.

Now what IS a waste of money is throwing down $100 in a single night at a sports bar, when you could buy a 30 pack for $20 and have it last 2-3 drinking sessions. Nothing is more worthless than wasting money on (insert your hobby here)

Plus... neighbors in residential areas can be obnoxious.. people and their bleeping barking dogs.. my God.. 4 different homes nearby where the dogs are just left outside and bark randomly. If it was one or two I could take them on, but after that I throw in the towel and acknowledge we just live in a dog worshiping culture where the concept of proper training or consideration of neighbors is a foreign concept.

Last edited by sholomar; 08-03-2017 at 04:58 PM..

Old 08-03-2017, 07:07 PM

35,702 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
False. Around here I could rent for around $400-500/month and $650 a month very comfortable, but buying something, anything at all, will cost double that per month when factoring in utilities, property taxes, insurance, etc.

If you don't need the extra space renting is practical and money saving. Houses are money pits. I got my house at auction and had instant equity from buying it, otherwise I would have kept renting. Throwing away an extra $500+ a month just so I can "build equity" is foolhardy. Add in all the expected and unexpected expenses, the time cost of yardwork and cleaning, and houses aren't for everyone.

Now what IS a waste of money is throwing down $100 in a single night at a sports bar, when you could buy a 30 pack for $20 and have it last 2-3 drinking sessions. Nothing is more worthless than wasting money on (insert your hobby here)

Plus... neighbors in residential areas can be obnoxious.. people and their bleeping barking dogs.. my God.. 4 different homes nearby where the dogs are just left outside and bark randomly. If it was one or two I could take them on, but after that I throw in the towel and acknowledge we just live in a dog worshiping culture where the concept of proper training or consideration of neighbors is a foreign concept.
I can rent a 10x12 room in my house for $600 a month - this is very subjective to area! I also have 5 colleges and the largest in Fl 8 miles away .

Old 08-04-2017, 01:31 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Perhaps you've not seen how many lard asses are present at NASCAR races and I'm pretty sure they're not all "snowflake libs" by a long shot.

Most of rural red staters are quite rotund and they may not be "paying" for "tail" but let's look at the sort of tail they can get and ask if it's better for those so-called "snowflakes" to be paying for some that's a bit less likely to be their cousin, eh?
You seem to be really sucked into partisan politics. You shouldn't be allowed to be a mod IMO

Old 08-04-2017, 03:24 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
This is what 8 years of the Obama economy brought America.

Millions of jobs outsourced, and illegals coming in like water through a sieve.
Way too simplistic. This has been going on for decades. It started with Reagan (who I think was a great president)....giving amnesty to illegal immigrants, which only caused more illegal immigration and therefore downward pressure on wages. Don't forget a much tougher job market and runaway rent. Many factors.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:30 AM

4,765 posts, read 3,732,475 times
Anyone who acquires $250,000 in college debt and cannot find a job , is not someone I would hire either.

I have absolutely no problem with multi generational households pulling together to support each other.

Unfortunately, my son who graduated a year ago, used his "useless progressive" college degree to get a job paying $65K right out of college and has his own place.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:31 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,846,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
That's because Progressivism brought useless degrees to colleges and made kids weak SJW's who can't get real jobs now. It was planned to go like this to weaken our society and position in the world. The same thing with Trans in the military.
Haha...

Too funny

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies