Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:22 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times

Advertisements

Wages have gone down so the only people benefiting are employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
No. Unless both Obama and Trump are lying about employment numbers, we have very low employment. Who cares if a legal immigrant is taking a blue collar job?

You are competing with the entire world. Reducing immigration in the US doesn't lesson the competition of American workers with global workers.

Our infrastructure is old as we haven't been keeping up with it. In 2017, we need to rebuild our infrastructure.

Less people means less growth and less opportunities. What little scraps are you speaking of?

The so-called low unemployment numbers are only because many Americans stopped looking for work, their unemployment ran out or they are working two job to make ends meet, or are working for low wages. So it's all smoke and mirrors. Trump has only been in office for less than a year so don't blame this on him.

Who cares about global workers? I'm speaking of workers within our own borders. Illegal immigration in particular has diminished blue-collared jobs and as has been pointed out in here by many employers are also hiring cheaper legal immigrants instead of hiring Americans. Examples have also been provided in here.

I agree our infrastructure needs improving. However, that's not the only area that needs improving.

We don't need any more growth via immigration at this time. A smaller population to fit a smaller economy is much healthier for our own citizens. Less demands on everything that are vital to a society. I said, if we continue with this explosive growth via both legal and illegal immigration we will all be fighting over scraps. With automation being a factor in the future and the outsourcing of our jobs why would we need more immigrants?

Old 08-03-2017, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Look at which sectors are having trouble filling positions with skilled labor.....

Like I said.... the unemployment rate is low.... only you have yourself to blame if you can't find a job right now.

You made the claim. It's up to you to back it up. It's more like employers want to pay the cheapest wages they can so they claim they can't find Americans to do those jobs and hire "immigrants" instead.

Excuse me, but I'm retired. I don't need a job. I know many unemployed Americans who want and need work though. They aren't lazy our unskilled either.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
I agree. We should grant amnesty to those who can prove they have been here for a year and go after the most important driver of illegal immigrants, employers. Mandating a federal e-verify system is the most effective way at preventing illegal immigration.

Well sure, it's not like they planned a wave of refugees from the Middle East, based on several American administrations' incompetence, coming due to the Arab Spring. Again, the US has two large oceans separating us from most of the world's population..... European paranoia and fear mongering doesn't concern me in America.

No, we shouldn't grant another amnesty. We tried that back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. It never makes sense to reward law breakers. How are Americans going to get their jobs back if millions of illegal are amnestied once again? Both the employers and the illegals are equally breaking the law yet you only want the employers punished? No one dragged these people over the border to work here. They knew what they were doing was illegal. The employers need to be fined out of existence and the illegals need to be deported. Why should the latter escape justice?

By the way, Trump has e-verify in his 2018 budget and he is deporting illegal aliens. So both will be punished and no one is rewarded and that's the way it should be.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:43 PM

22,473 posts, read 11,998,943 times
Quote:
No. Unless both Obama and Trump are lying about employment numbers, we have very low employment. Who cares if a legal immigrant is taking a blue collar job?

You are competing with the entire world. Reducing immigration in the US doesn't lesson the competition of American workers with global workers.

Our infrastructure is old as we haven't been keeping up with it. In 2017, we need to rebuild our infrastructure.

Less people means less growth and less opportunities. What little scraps are you speaking of?
When our country had 200 million people, we were doing very well. Blue collar families were able to buy homes. Many families survived quite well on one income.

More people means less growth and less opportunities. Illegal aliens have displaced many Americans in unskilled jobs and skilled ones like construction work. Construction work once paid very well. Growing up, I had a friend whose father worked in construction. Since winters were bad, he didn't work then. They were a one income family. When he worked, they put aside money to get through the winter and did just fine. Today, no construction workers can live like that anymore. Illegal aliens have depressed wages and many sleazy employers don't bother to provide safe working conditions.

Do you think we have unlimited potable water and buildable land? I bet you look at all that land in the southwestern desert and think we have lots of buildable land. Well...guess what? People who live in the desert have to have their potable water trucked in. That's already a reality for some Indian reservations and the water they do receive is never enough.

Why do you cheer on more population growth? How many people will be too many for you? 1 billion? 2 billion? India has 1 billion people. How's that working for them? Answer---not great. Bangalore doesn't have enough potable water for their residents. Millions of Indians don't have electricity or indoor plumbing. I want better than that for my grandkids. Why don't you feel the same?

Yes, our infrastructure is old. It takes money to repair it. However, the more people we add, the more new roads need to be built or existing roads need to be widened. There is only so much money to go around. Local governments have to decide which is more important---repairing the existing infrastructure or adding more.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:33 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
I never said government should be involved. I would promote less government, not more. After all, government happily sold the American worker out with NAFTA, which greatly benefited the corporations. Government also subsidizes varies industries and corporations. We already have a damn near planned economic system, which I find appalling. Government controls far too much of our economy and our lives as it is. This country as founded on the promise of limited government, and I feel we should move back towards that direction, for the benefit of the American people as a whole.
Pretty sure businesses wanted NAFTA and the government was the vehicle to make it happen.

Well your limited government ideology doesn't mix well with keeping mulitnational companies in check as per your previous post. Seems like limited government means more globalization unless you want the government with it's hand on the economic scale.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The so-called low unemployment numbers are only because many Americans stopped looking for work, their unemployment ran out or they are working two job to make ends meet, or are working for low wages. So it's all smoke and mirrors. Trump has only been in office for less than a year so don't blame this on him.
So they don't have the skills to get the better jobs that are going unfulfilled.....

Quote:
Who cares about global workers? I'm speaking of workers within our own borders.
Because there are billions of working age adults across the globe..... Reducing the supply of labor at home won't do much if the total pool of labor keeps growing......

Quote:
Illegal immigration in particular has diminished blue-collared jobs and as has been pointed out in here
Not here in Texas.... we are doing quite well. Seems like there's a different underlying issue here..... Quite a few states doing well with large illegal immigrant populations. In fact, I know the Rust Belt and Industrial NE has been in overall decline for decades.

Quote:
by many employers are also hiring cheaper legal immigrants instead of hiring Americans. Examples have also been provided in here.
So take less money? Unless you are some democrat who wants the government to level the playing field.....

Quote:
We don't need any more growth via immigration at this time. A smaller population to fit a smaller economy is much healthier for our own citizens. Less demands on everything that are vital to a society. I said, if we continue with this explosive growth via both legal and illegal immigration we will all be fighting over scraps. With automation being a factor in the future and the outsourcing of our jobs why would we need more immigrants?
Explosive growth? LOL.... have you seen the size of America on a map? I know they stopped making land but come on.....

Sounds like your plan is to shrink the economy, cause massive upheaval as America shrivels up to fit your smaller population and smaller economy plan...I wonder how much job loss that will cause...just because you got a certain opinion about immigrants.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
When our country had 200 million people, we were doing very well. Blue collar families were able to buy homes. Many families survived quite well on one income.
It's easy to do well when your competition is rebuilding after major world wars and technology was such that a high school graduate could go work in a factor and support a family.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You made the claim. It's up to you to back it up. It's more like employers want to pay the cheapest wages they can so they claim they can't find Americans to do those jobs and hire "immigrants" instead.
Here's information to the BLS Monthly Labor Reports and Article Archives
https://www.bls.gov/opub/mlr/home.htm

​Desperately seeking workers: The looming job crunch - CBS News
Electricians, rail and water transportation workers, and machinists are blue collared, but more skilled now.

https://www.thestreet.com/slideshow/...d-workers.html

How many more articles?

Quote:
Excuse me, but I'm retired. I don't need a job. I know many unemployed Americans who want and need work though. They aren't lazy our unskilled either.
That's just anecdotal. In reality, there's a whole big world that you aren't aware of since you are retired.

Maybe it's just where you live? The medium to large cities of Texas, the South, and the SE have been doing quite well for decades since a lot of manufacturing moved to non union states along with strong population growth.....

Quote:
No, we shouldn't grant another amnesty. We tried that back in 1986 and now we have at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. It never makes sense to reward law breakers. How are Americans going to get their jobs back if millions of illegal are amnestied once again? Both the employers and the illegals are equally breaking the law yet you only want the employers punished? No one dragged these people over the border to work here. They knew what they were doing was illegal. The employers need to be fined out of existence and the illegals need to be deported. Why should the latter escape justice?

By the way, Trump has e-verify in his 2018 budget and he is deporting illegal aliens. So both will be punished and no one is rewarded and that's the way it should be.
Economics isn't a zero sum game again. The employers are the root cause, so yes they should be "punished" by verifying the status of the prospective employees.

I just don't see it, people add to the economy regardless of legality. I would prefer we amnesty them and make them legal so they can add even more to the economy.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:44 PM

er
Quote:
So they don't have the skills to get the better jobs that are going unfulfilled.....

Because there are billions of working age adults across the globe..... Reducing the supply of labor at home won't do much if the total pool of labor keeps growing......

Not here in Texas.... we are doing quite well. Seems like there's a different underlying issue here..... Quite a few states doing well with large illegal immigrant populations. In fact, I know the Rust Belt and Industrial NE has been in overall decline for decades.

So take less money? Unless you are some democrat who wants the government to level the playing field.....

Explosive growth? LOL.... have you seen the size of America on a map? I know they stopped making land but come on.....

Sounds like your plan is to shrink the economy, cause massive upheaval as America shrivels up to fit your smaller population and smaller economy plan...I wonder how much job loss that will cause...just because you got a certain opinion about immigrants.

Why are you being so obtuse? All of a sudden we don't have enough skilled American workers? Since when? What skills are you speaking of? Americans were plenty skilled in construction until millions of cheap illegals flooded our border with less or no skills willing to work for less. Why can't you just admit that it's not about Americans not being skilled but employers wanting to pay less and skills be damned? How are we reducing the supply of labor in this country when we don't even have enough jobs for those already here?

The only ones doing well with high illegal immigration numbers are the employers within those states. The rest of their citizens are picking up the tab for the $113 billion a year that they cost us and their wages being reduced and their jobs being stolen. Illegals also send billions back to their homelands not spent in our economy.

Why should any Americans takes less money than a fair wage to compete with illegal aliens who don't even have a right to work here?

You obviously don't know what ariable land space, the resources and jobs required to sustain a certain population number is. Do you want every square inch of this country covered with buildings, roads and people? My opinion about "immigrants"? Well, for one thing illegal aliens aren't "immigrants" and for another I have no problem with legal immigrants being admitted when we can supply them with jobs and resources without it negatively impacting our own citizens and keeping population growth in mind. Sounds like a sane a reasonable approach to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies