Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2017, 05:16 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Some Ivy schools are more selective than others.
Harvard and Yale.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:23 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 29 days ago)

27,651 posts, read 16,138,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Used to being the pretty girls ? What exactly do you mean by that ?
Probably means somebody's used to being ugly. One guess

Old 08-04-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Animal, vegetable or mineral is more my speed. True.

But yes, being more "black" than "white" and having a phenotype of a dark-skinned Puerto Rican (without having no known Puerto Rican blood in me) makes me tough to box in.

Pun intended.

I think not having a collectivist grouping has been a blessing for me. Everyone hates or loves me for me.

Well, except for the white man. He's the devil.

We try!

Old 08-04-2017, 05:37 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
i thought harvard is full of jews.
Not any more...it's funny you brought that up though. My husband and I were just talking about this issue, he said his best friend was rejected from Harvard (decades ago) even though he had impressive academic credentials. He told my husband he was rejected because he was "too Jewish" during the interview.

Which led us to wonder if maybe the Asian kids don't interview well, or maybe they don't have a resume that includes a variety of extracurricular activities that might impress an interviewer. Or perhaps they have spent so many years being hyper-focused on academic achievement that they fall short on their ability to have a conversation on non-academic issues which is probably required to convince an interview panel that they are well rounded and adaptable. In other words maybe they share a similar trait to my husband's friend and come off as "too Asian"

Old 08-04-2017, 05:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
A college parental coach (not sure what he called himself exactly) who helps parents get their kids into elite colleges said if you are Asian or white you are at a disadvantage unless you are a sports star, have accomplished something remarkable or your parents are alumni.

If colleges are insisting on quotas, they should at least make them reflect the population of the US by race -- majority is white.

If I am becoming a minority I want to take advantage of the minority and affirmative action programs. In some cities that are minority white, it might make for an interesting lawsuit.
Or just do what Caltech does and primarily consider SAT/ACT scores and GPA and essays. Their undergraduate class is 42% Asian

Old 08-04-2017, 08:28 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Two of my sons friends went to two different Ivy leagues - one a white kid and one a black kid. The black kid got in with a 4.2 gpa. The white kid got into his school with a 4.0 gpa.

You think that was racial favoritism?
Really? One data point? That's your example?

Old 08-04-2017, 08:30 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If only race was just skin color...
lol Why does that matter? Whether discrimination is based on skin color, or sex, or religion.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
lol Why does that matter? Whether discrimination is based on skin color, or sex, or religion.
Because if race was just skin color there would be no need to have different standards to have a more equal outcome in the first place.

And since race means a lot of things more than who has an extra few points on an SAT or GPA, an institution might want to pick more people who may have scored a few points lower. You are assuming that race is just skin color and all races are exactly the same in everyway except for 'skin color'. Discrimination isn't necessarily bad and race can be a valid reason as any.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Really? One data point? That's your example?
Did you see the post I was responding to? Yeah, when someone makes extreme all or nothing statements, as the poster below did, you really only need one example to disprove what they posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICANRICAN
The problem with the ivy schools the application is standard is very low now how many news reports there is when some kid latino or black been accepted in 5 or 6 ivy schools I know some of these kids are smart but not that smart. Schools must rise the standard and only if Asian and whites get in then so be it getting in the schools should not be based on your skin color or surname that is liberal racism!!

Old 08-04-2017, 09:45 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Race is a specifically protected class under the Federal Civil Rights Act.

LGBT Status, Income, "Experience," Extra-curricular activities participation... are not.

Therefore, my question about the very valid juxtaposition remains...

If race-based discrimination is OK at private universities, why isn't LGBT Status-based discrimination OK at privately-held businesses? Race is a Protected Class under the Federal CRA; LGBT Status is not.
Keep side stepping the question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies