Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:35 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,402,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
You just told us why whites should not want to be another minority in this country. And you rejoice in the harm to whites.
Nonsense.

I do not support or rejoice in the harm of anyone. I find it telling that people are up in arms about minorities becoming the majority and this article is a perfect example of it.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
The answer to past racism is perpetual racism?

And they call you folks "progressives"?
Never said that. Try again.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Discrimination is wrong regardless.

When your applying for college they should choose applicants based on merit, not race.

I understand that doing this could put black and hispanic students, who are more likely to come from areas with fewer educational resources, at a disadvantage, and I want to do something about that. However, the thing to do about that is not to change the standards for higher education and screw over white or Asian students who were high achieves so that the photo on the college website can look nice and ethnic. The solution is to invest into better education for black and Hispanic students so that they can compete.

I know that in the short term, that's not helpful. But a long term solution will do a lot more for all of us than doing feel good, short term solutions.
I read the article last night so perhaps I am forgetful but where did it say Harvard "changed the standards o higher education"?

Old 08-04-2017, 06:40 AM

14,517 posts, read 11,338,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'll say the same exact thing to the Asian Americans in on this lawsuit. Get over it. I know whites AND Asian Americans are used to being the pretty girls in the room but that's changing and I'm glad for it.
Based solely on the complexion of their skin or the shape of their eyes?

You're a bigot!

Old 08-04-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The prospect of becoming not only a minority in the country you built, but one that is actively discriminated against by the government and leading institutions, should be of concern to any rational person. I can only guess as to the mental landscape of someone who would "LOL" about it.
And I can only guess as to what motivates people to be fearful of becoming the minority in their own country. Well actually I don't have to guess. I know very well why some people are fearful of it. Because they know how minorities in this country have been treated. They know it way deep down, won't admit it, but they KNOW IT. And they don't want to be in that place.

I'll let your "mental landscape" slide this time. Learn to participate without insults.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I'm personally not worried about becoming a minority. That means little to me.

My concern, and we're seeing this now, is that because I'm white (and a man as well... a cisgendered one at that!), I am less valuable. I'm inherently racist and lack any sort of empathy to the point where I can't even sympathize with black people or gay people... unless of course, I sacrifice my identity.

It's a troubling thing. I fancy myself a progressive, but I don't feel I should be ashamed for being white or a man. Nor do I feel anyone should feel shame for being black or a woman. People should be able to take pride in themselves and their heiritage, without fear of backlash. No matter your race.
I agree with this.

When its okay to make fun of white people, you've (general) gone too far.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 AM

14,517 posts, read 11,338,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
So the people who never had a problem with discrimination before are now up in arms and call it racism while the people who did have an issue with it before now don't think it is a problem any longer.

Humans are an amazing species!
Wake up! It's 2017 not 1950.

The vast majority of Americans are not racists and are not OK with discrimination of any kind.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:44 AM

17,034 posts, read 12,656,781 times
Damn those Asians working so hard. Asian privilege. They need to stop it. Its not fair!

Old 08-04-2017, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
That's complete BS.
Where was your ire when Harvard was a mostly white school?

Old 08-04-2017, 06:46 AM

89,511 posts, read 45,198,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I mean that Asian Americans are typically seen as the smartest ones in the room. They've, rightfully, had an edge in higher education for a long time. Now that other minorities are doing the same, it seems some people don't like it.
That's because the other minorities aren't doing it on academic merit. Standards are artificially lowered for them. It's race-based discrimination, plain and simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies