Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:57 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,851,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The great stock market advance and jobs creation after we elected Republicans in 2010 to run Congress continues and the good times are accelerating with Trump in command....life is fantastic!
Is that why job growth has slowed since Trump took office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 09:59 AM

3,251 posts, read 2,557,978 times
Time to Organize and for the working class to get their share of that MONEY!

Old 08-05-2017, 09:59 AM

7,682 posts, read 5,541,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Yes yuuge jobs report, really bigley, amazing, life is good! Well at least until you actually look at the new jobs that were created and realize that (62,000) were in "leisure and hospitality" and only 1,000 were in mining, so I'm not sure how happy those laid off coal miners will be in their new career of scraping chewing gum off the walkways in resorts.
https://www.bls.gov/web/empsit/ceshighlights.pdf
Only 1,000 new jobs in mining? How can that be?

Trump in a speech last month:

Quote:
In Pennsylvania, two weeks ago, they opened a mine, the first mine that was opened in decades. Opened a mine! And you know all the people that were saying the mining jobs? Well we picked up 45,000 mining jobs in a very short period of time. Everybody was saying, well, you won’t get any mining jobs. We picked up 45,000 mining jobs,”
Where Did Trump Dig Up 45,000 Mining Jobs? - NBC News

Old 08-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
While you are correct...Had the economy dipped or at least stayed the same it would have been spun to blame Obama. I will say though...I work in Oil and Gas and Jan 20th was like a light switch.. all my clients all of a sudden had money to burn where as the last 2 years prior not so much. We went on a hiring frenzy, we are having record quarters and all time monthly earnings statements. It doesn't appear to be slowing down. I dont think Obama was good for big business and the stats show that the GDP grew at a very slow rate under his presidency.
So far the GDP is not growing any faster than during the Obama presidency. Oil and Gas expanded during the Obama presidency; so much so that the US started exporting Oil and Gas.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"U.S. consumers are the most confident in the U.S. economy in 15 years, buoyed by the strongest job market since before the Great Recession."

Consumer confidence hits 15-year high - MarketWatch

All incidences are up AFTER Trump won the election.
Article from Feb 2017. The "strongest job market" would be a reference to the job market prior to Trump taking office.

As the article notes millions of Americans have found new jobs over the recent years.

"Millions of Americans have found new jobs since 2010, tugging the unemployment rate below 5% and forcing companies to increase pay somewhat faster after years of sluggish wage growth. What’s more, companies continue to hire at a steady clip and job openings remain a record high."

Job growth has actually slowed during 2017, which isn't that surprising given that almost everyone who wants a job and is employable has a job.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:18 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,175,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"U.S. consumers are the most confident in the U.S. economy in 15 years, buoyed by the strongest job market since before the Great Recession."

Consumer confidence hits 15-year high - MarketWatch

All incidences are up AFTER Trump won the election.
"Consumer confidence hits 15-year high"

By Jeffry Bartash
Published: Feb 28, 2017 11:14 a.m. ET

Trump surely had a lot to do with this great "8 day turnaround."

Wouldn't the reporter have had to actually read the report and write the article AFTER this research was completed?
To all but the insane, this would have to reflect the Obama administration, not trump.

"Millions of Americans have found new jobs since 2010, tugging the unemployment rate below 5% and forcing companies to increase pay somewhat faster after years of sluggish wage growth. What’s more, companies continue to hire at a steady clip and job openings remain a record high."

Oh, wait... I see; just like all the other economic good news that is being attributed to trump, this is just another continuation of the Obama Administration trend...

Hmmmm. Uh oh!

Here is another organizations analysts that shows that the consumer confidence is at a nine month LOW. Now what has changed over the last nine months?

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-...mer-confidence

"The University of Michigan's consumer sentiment for the United States was revised up to 93.4 from a preliminary of 93.1 in July of 2017 and compared to 95.1 in June. Still, it is the lowest reading since October of 2016 as the future expectations declined, although less than previously estimated, while barometer of current conditions rose further. Consumer Confidence in the United States averaged 86.10 from 1952 until 2017, reaching an all time high of 111.40 in January of 2000 and a record low of 51.70 in May of 1980."

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 08-05-2017 at 10:48 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 11:39 AM

404 posts, read 193,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Another lie. From the agency that calculates GDP:

https://www.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.cf...&isuri=1&903=1
GDP growth in selected quarters under Obama:
+3.2% in Q1 2015
+5.2% in Q3 2014
+4.6% in Q2 2014
+3.1% in Q3 2013
+4.0% in Q2 2013
... and so on, and so forth. It's amazing the way some people have to make up facts in order to support their beliefs.

Now now now. Selectively picking individual quarters for some years does not cut muster. As we all know the figures you cite are just % changes from the preceding quarter. Look at annual increases and it is completely different. Please be better informed before jumping in with misleading data presented to serve a point.

Lets look at annual averages and even your own CNN, of all people tell a completely different story. I will provide the link below

Economic growth (GDP) - The Obama economy in 10 charts - CNNMoney

A vastly different story indeed.

Your faux pas illustrates that point.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:36 PM

30,477 posts, read 19,236,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If the stock market had declined after Trump became President and other economic indicators fell as well, you know you would be blaming Obama and the democrats for it. Many of us think the stock market is due for a correction and its just a question of when. I'm sure you'll try to blame that on the democrats too because--in your world--Trump cannot do anything wrong.

The problem with giving Trump credit for low unemployment is that 90% or more of the job gains occurred while Obama was President. How quickly we forget. Unemployment was at 10% at height of this recession. When Obama left office, unemployment was less than 5%. In six months, there isn't time for anything Donald Trump has done to make any significant impact on unemployment. Yet, you disingenuously give him credit for that.

As a result, I see posts like yours as lacking credibility.

The truth is you want Trump in office. Despite his dismal legislative record and personal behavior that is worse than any other President since Richard Nixon, you will continue to grasp at straws to defend him. You will make excuses for him that you would not allow from other presidents.

You are entitled to support whomever you want too for President. The problem is the basic lack of honesty involved.
Yes, if you would be honest, you would have to agree with me. I know I'm right and you probably know I'm right as well.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:37 PM

30,477 posts, read 19,236,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Is that why job growth has slowed since Trump took office?
Yes, that's why job growth and stock market growth has done the opposite of slowing down since Trump was elected.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yes, that's why job growth and stock market growth has done the opposite of slowing down since Trump was elected.
Sorry to inform you but jobs were growing faster last year than this year. In fact the last several years have been better for job grwoth than this year. That doesn't make this year a bad year, but it certainly doesn't make it an unprecedented achievement that only Trump could bring about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies