Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 02:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
No, I don't believe that businesses should be able to discriminate for whatever they want to.
Thanks for the input. Just wanted to see if you had the guts to say it.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:28 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Everything we do on the internet is tracked by Google.

Companies pay Google for this info. It is not hard for them to gain access to your posts if you link your profile up to their site when you register. A majority of internet based companies track what you are doing online. That is how they know what sorts of ads to show you on social media.
I understand that (and hate it BTW) but I do not agree with using that info in the manner which ABB did in this case. It is the slippery slope which was so eloquently laid out earlier in this thread by others. I always appreciate your ability for rational discussion rather than casting aspersions as others do. We can agree to disagree on this particular issue.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:29 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I have not used the service but was considering using it frequently in the future. Now I will not. They are an unprofessional organization and do not respect users' privacy.
let them know this and your reason why.

Old 08-09-2017, 02:43 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,277,759 times
Quote:
I'm an atheist and am very familiar with him and his views and none of his views IMO were white supremacist minded.
I'm an atheist as well and I've read three of Dawkins' books and watched lots of his public appearances. He is a classical liberal. But...
Quote:
None of the people you mentioned are white supremacist and only people who lack critical thinking ability would believe that they were based on media articles alone.
The problem is, that underlined part exemplifies an entire post-modern worldview that is increasing in prevalence.
Quote:
Yes it would be justified. Forums/web pages are privately owned and paid for.
But I didn't ask anything about whether it's *legal* or not. I'm asking if it's right. I don't think it is. Doing all this behind the scenes "background checking" is, frankly, a little creepy.

A woman walks into a restaurant in the year 2037. The restaurant owner's AR glasses immediately identify her and flag several things in her internet history that he has set as things he doesn't like. He decides he's not going to serve her because she supported a political candidate five years earlier that he didn't like. He asks her to leave. CREEPY.

We've entered this weird reality where eventually *anything* you've ever said or liked or maybe even looked at could be held against you, and yes it's perfectly legal. What an experiment. And think what POWER the tech mega-giants have if they start doing litmus tests on the Entire History of You and using anything they might find to exclude you.
Quote:
Everything we do on the internet is tracked by Google.
Yes. It wields enormous power already, and as we enter the future of the Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence, and Augmented/Virtual Reality (and eventually, digital telepathy and the digitization of thought), its power will grow exponentially. I'm not saying we need laws to prevent it. I'm saying it sucks and I will criticize it.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:11 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
But I didn't ask anything about whether it's *legal* or not. I'm asking if it's right. I don't think it is. Doing all this behind the scenes "background checking" is, frankly, a little creepy.

A woman walks into a restaurant in the year 2037. The restaurant owner's AR glasses immediately identify her and flag several things in her internet history that he has set as things he doesn't like. He decides he's not going to serve her because she supported a political candidate five years earlier that he didn't like. He asks her to leave. CREEPY.
So the standard for whether behavior is "right" or "justified" is your view as to whether the behavior is "creepy"? Too bad Moses dropped that last tablet with the "Thou shalt not commit acts considered creepy Nepenthe's subjective opinion" commandment.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:18 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I'm an atheist as well and I've read three of Dawkins' books and watched lots of his public appearances. He is a classical liberal. But...The problem is, that underlined part exemplifies an entire post-modern worldview that is increasing in prevalence. But I didn't ask anything about whether it's *legal* or not. I'm asking if it's right. I don't think it is. Doing all this behind the scenes "background checking" is, frankly, a little creepy.

We've entered this weird reality where eventually *anything* you've ever said or liked or maybe even looked at could be held against you, and yes it's perfectly legal. What an experiment. And think what POWER the tech mega-giants have if they start doing litmus tests on the Entire History of You and using anything they might find to exclude you.Yes. It wields enormous power already, and as we enter the future of the Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence, and Augmented/Virtual Reality (and eventually, digital telepathy and the digitization of thought), its power will grow exponentially. I'm not saying we need laws to prevent it. I'm saying it sucks and I will criticize it.
I agree with you in general and especially on the bold. I have considered going "off the grid" but I'm honestly too lazy to do it lol.

Due to my laziness I've come to accept the fact that I will now be forever tracked and monitored by "big brother" of technology. It is creepy but it is the way the world is today. We have a choice of whether or not to participate. I go back and forth about it but, again, laziness keeps me participating.

In regards to if things are "right" or "wrong."

I think all people have the right to have their own beliefs about how their own business should be run. So I don't have a moral problem with this website denying people access to their platform over their political views, especially since the one in question is very much focused on and uses as a part of their business model, the idea that their service "breaks down biases" and "barriers."

Also, there are other options for websites to use for similar services and I think I'm just used to the fact that businesses can create their policies/procedures to fit their certain viewset.

For instance, I don't shop at Hobby Lobby because I don't like that they deny their employees birth control in their healthplans. I don't buy any music by R.Kelley or go to any of his shows because I think he is a pedophile. I have a facebook page along with a website and I block people on it who attempt to start what I consider "stupid" conversations (I write a blog about black history and culture and oftentimes I do get white supremacist commenters trying to start mess and I just block them because I maintain a very neutral, informative, site that is not focused on debating the information that I share).

So I think that it is "right" that AirBnB be able to do what they want to do in regards to maintaining the culture of their online community.

However, I do think it is creepy, the level to which companies go now to look into our lives. I always joke, but I'm serious, that I'm glad I got to live over half my life without the overarching influence of technology. I feel bad for my kids and grandkids who will never know the freedoms we've known and the ability to be anonymous in our day to day lives before everyone got online.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:21 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
It's intolerant, but I respect their decision as a private company.

With that said, if it had been a gay group that were evicted, would people be celebrating their decision with such glee?

Tolerance should run both ways.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:22 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
100% legal, no problem with that.

In the real world, most business owners only care about money. I go out to eat a lot and I haven't seen a single business owner that refuses service to minorities.
LOL of course you would not since the media and leftist would publicize it endlessly and a mob would form at the business, and it is unlawlful and they would be fined and sued out of business at the very least.

But if the law not to mention the media and public respected others' private property rights, rights to free association etc, you might see it.

What businesses and others do is decide where they operate a business to hopefully have a more desirable clientele.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It's intolerant, but I respect their decision as a private company.

With that said, if it had been a gay group that were evicted, would people be celebrating their decision with such glee?

Tolerance should run both ways.
Will note I don't think either is worth celebrating. They are business decisions.

Also, I'm not seeing AirBnB being celebrated for doing what they did.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Thanks for the input. Just wanted to see if you had the guts to say it.
Not sure why you would think I wouldn't state that.

We've had a similar conversation before.

I agree with our Civil Rights Acts in regards to providing access to businesses for people of any ethnicity, country of origin, religion, and gender/sex since these things (other than religion) cannot be changed and are just who people are.

I'll also admit that even though I am supportive of LGBT individuals, I honestly don't think that sexual orientation should be protected in all circumstances, I'd hope people would not be so discriminatory against LGBT individuals, but I also know that people are very biased against LGBT individuals and so I don't view it as a negative that they are protected in many circumstances. And again, I do feel that in many situations, especially the workplace that political affiliation SHOULD be protected.

Due to my career, I've seen people fired before over their political beliefs (and note it was not because they were conservatives in a liberal environment) mostly because of them disagreeing with their superiors on specific policy issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies