Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 02:35 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

I think it may also have to do with the fact that a lot of those countries you study what your parents tell you you're going to study and parents like to pick subjects that make you more valuable as a employee, a marital prospect, or with job prospects in academics.

I think what we like to do in this country is tell women they have lots of choices and then slam them behind their backs or in front of their faces for making those choices. Tell them directly and indirectly that they don't belong and that their feminity has been compromised. But the whole time we like to tell them that they are so lucky to have all these choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 02:48 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,330,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Wouldn't traditional gender roles disqualify women from working in those fields.
Where did the chart come from and who is Claire Leahmann that we should take notice of her twitter?
She is the founder and editor of quillette Home - Quillette. It comes from The International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED)

Feminism is all about victimization, sex harassment law suits , stupid stuff like "womens studies". Its like in extremely feminist Nordic countries, you have the Nordic Gender Equality Paradox

The Nordic Gender Equality Paradox

"In one international ranking after another, Liberal nordic nations are shown to have few women among top-managers and business owners. Another surprise is that the three Baltic countries, which have more conservative societies and a more small-government approach than their Nordic neighbors, have more women managers, top executives and business owners.

In this book, Dr. Nima Sanandaji shows that the apparent paradox has a simple answer:

Nordic welfare states are – unintentionally – holding women back. Public sector monopolies and substantial tax wedges limit women’s progress in the labour market. Overly generous parental leave systems encourage women to stay home rather than work. Welfare state safety nets discourage women from self-employment. On the other hand, the much-avowed affirmative action laws in Norway have not helped further women’s career possibilities.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Maybe they're trying to get STEM degrees so they don't have to get married to jerks.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I think it may also have to do with the fact that a lot of those countries you study what your parents tell you you're going to study and parents like to pick subjects that make you more valuable as a employee, a marital prospect, or with job prospects in academics.

I think what we like to do in this country is tell women they have lots of choices and then slam them behind their backs or in front of their faces for making those choices. Tell them directly and indirectly that they don't belong and that their feminity has been compromised. But the whole time we like to tell them that they are so lucky to have all these choices.
Truth. There is very much truth in this post.

We tell women they can major in whatever they like, be whatever they want... then, when they choose it, we either tell them they're too ambitious or not ambitious enough.

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:53 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Am I reading that graph wrong...women in the USA are much more likely to have a BA or higher degree, just a smaller % of women who do go into STEM?

There is a point to be made about degrees like "gender studies" and "social justice" not being conducive to careers as a STEM degree, but is that not a point of pride that the US has many educated women even if in "other" fields.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Or because the culture of these countries is such that men are more accepting of women in the sciences and women who want to go into STEM fields aren't belittled, harassed and scorned for "trying to act like men" as many are here in the good ole misogynistic USA.
Are you kidding me, how often does that happen?

There are scholarships specifically for women in STEM, affirmative action specifically for women in STEM, specific conferences and workshops for women in STEM, School functions to bring in women who have careers in STEM to meet with girl students, Nick Jr./Disney Jr./etc...that promote women in STEM with their programming, etc...

Google, Yahoo, and others specifically go out of their way to help women into STEM.

I honestly can't recall a single time in my life where I have ever actually heard any woman in real life get belittled to her face or behind her back for choosing STEM. Yet I can recall countless examples of things like my wife's company going out of their way to try and hire a STEM woman.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:54 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

Pretty much.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:56 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They may get more tech degrees but what is the workplace culture like for them in those countries? Maybe they just put up with a lot of bs like we used to.

Just look through these forums and you can see if these posters actually act like they think/type, then everyone has to put up with a lot of BS, not just women.

BS is part of life, and always will be.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:01 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Places without all the gender confusion and militant feminism like the home of marie curie, Poland, produce far higher percentages of female stem majors than the good ole feminist USA.

Probably because serious science and math majors are needed for the economy while we get feminist inspired crap like "womens studies" and tons of left wing garbage "social sciences" and these so called "strong independent" western feminists that suffer breakdowns at the use of sweetheart.

It doesnt surprise me so many eastern european countries also still have a much stronger sense of masculinity than the west and arent as accepting of the refugee and immigration invasion as an increasingly emasculated west

SCIENCE is a ticket to ride. All over the world if you want to get to a better economy science or marriage is the best way to do it. Those who can take hard sciences because there are jobs all over the west that pay very well indeed.

why are woman in ex soviet block nations taking science with a side serving of science? to get good paying jobs in richer countries...

Old 08-10-2017, 03:04 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Am I reading that graph wrong...women in the USA are much more likely to have a BA or higher degree, just a smaller % of women who do go into STEM?

There is a point to be made about degrees like "gender studies" and "social justice" not being conducive to careers as a STEM degree, but is that not a point of pride that the US has many educated women even if in "other" fields.

Are you kidding me, how often does that happen?

There are scholarships specifically for women in STEM, affirmative action specifically for women in STEM, specific conferences and workshops for women in STEM, School functions to bring in women who have careers in STEM to meet with girl students, Nick Jr./Disney Jr./etc...that promote women in STEM with their programming, etc...

Google, Yahoo, and others specifically go out of their way to help women into STEM.

All the time in ways big and small in homes, K-12, college and the work place. The presence of the things you mention, while nice, don't really mean much in the face of overt and/or unintentional discouragement of parents, teachers, classmates and coworkers. If you're really interested in what's happening academically to girls, just Google "Girls discouraged in Academics" and read any one of the many articles and studies that come up.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Just look through these forums and you can see if these posters actually act like they think/type, then everyone has to put up with a lot of BS, not just women.

BS is part of life, and always will be.
rubbish you are merely trying to defend attacking and belittling women because you are most likely afraid you don't measure up.

i think most of the guys here who put women down all the time, are just weak guys who are afraid their wives/partners will leave them if they have their own income and security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies