Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 01:55 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
But that is assuming that the Trump administration is "Alt-Right". They don't seem to be. At most, if you want to go down that route, they're Alt-Lite, which means they think in terms of cultural and economic nationalism, not racial. They believe anyone non-white can also be welcome into the American system as long as they have the right culture. So theirs is a civic nationalism, not a racial white nationalism. Some of those things overlap which is why left wingers and liberals believe they hear dog whistles and covert racism. It's not that they're racist, I don't think so, it's that they're cultural chauvinists.

And again, we're not talking about a conspiracy or projection on the part of the Trump administration. I am taking about conservatives which include NEVER TRUMPERS. They call these far left groups fascists too.
I think we will simply have to disagree here

I believe that the majority on the right, are normal conservatives some of which may be racists but most about the normal level of racism.

But i also believe that the GOP has allowed its executive branch to be captured by white nationalists and headed by an electable fool. I beleive Miller , gorka, bannon and many more are white supremacists and fascists. They have a direct line to Trump and have strong control over him. I think Trump thinks he is using them but they are using TRump.

the Never trumpers calling the left fascists is exactly what one would expect. Propaganda works well when you get echoing. thus the alt right seeds the internet and airways with "identity politics" 'fascist " etc precisely to get GOP , never trumpers, and everyone else using the expression, weakening it and making sure their opponents are tainted. this is why we see masses of memes with subtle and not so subtle use of these words and phrases, "triggered" went from zero to everywhere and it was applied to the left in order to shut up anyone who disagrees . ie "it was a joke why are you so triggered". " snowflakes getting triggered over memes" . thus raising the bar for dissent... "shrill" "hysterical" are used the same way, but more often used to silence women or imply a man is displaying femininity.

This stuff is not accidental and it is intended to discourage resistance while being able to maintain the pretense of "nothing to see here, just some banter".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 01:55 PM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Michael Bluth View Post
I hate to break it to you, but 63 million Americans voted for Donald Trump. Not all of them are hardcore Trumper bigots, in fact I'd say most of them aren't, but they all felt compelled to vote for this disgusting turd of a human being. They don't have much to be proud of.

I despise the Far Left with a passion. The "watch the world burn" types who voted for Jill Stein while claiming to be the last word on liberalism? They make me want to vomit.
And I was not one of them. I voted for Gary Johnson who probably would not know where Pyongyang is located.

And we'd be better for it.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:56 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,011,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is being dishonest with yourself.
Nazi's were Fascist, as was Mussolini. Lenin and Stalin were Communist. Not far off from each other.
They were buddies in the beginning...
They were far off from each other even if they had ideological roots. You're being dishonest or just intellectually lazy.

Nazis and Fascists were right wing in the European sense. They were anti-Enlightenment, anti-Democracy, anti-Republicanism. They were for monarchy, authoritarianism, etc.

Communists believed they were taking the Enlightenment principles to the fullest extent. They thought they were creating the ultimate democracy. Think the French Revolution taken to the tenth degree, to it's most logical extent. Of course it ended up in tyranny.

So fascists did with their eyes OPEN, what Communists did with their eyes CLOSED.

They're not kin. I don't know why American conservatives are so terrible with this part of history. We have everything going for us because we believe in Republicanism and conserving the liberal ideals of the Enlightenment.

I honestly think many conservatives in America DO NOT know or at least understand this part of history.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:57 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
And I was not one of them. I voted for Gary Johnson who probably would not know where Pyongyang is located.

And we'd be better for it.
Yea but I mean he made a GAFFE. I mean comon it was a GAFFE. We can't elect someone who would make a GAFFE. So we elected Trump instead. SMDH

As for the fascist/communist labels, why are we counting the angels that could fit on the head of a pin over which Ad Hominem attack we prefer to use.

"I wanna use this fallacy!"

"I wanna use the same fallacy in a different way!"

Both positions are wrong because they don't address anything in particular, they are just smears.

But the OP is right in that Communist is a smear that looks slightly less stupid than Facist for the far left.

Expunge both terms from your vocabulary and watch the quality of your arguments improve.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Talking Why do conservatives call the far-left fascists?

It's no mystery.

No need for any analysis paralysis.

RWNJs use any and all insults no matter how feeble or inappropriate.

They even sometimes call non-RWNJs "fascist commies" if they're in the mood, probably without the merest hint of recognition of the oxymoron. When stupidity is a sufficient explanation, there's no need to look further.

Not the sharpest tools in the shed.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:59 PM

I think I may understand where the problem lies. American conservatives just see authoritarianism and think it's all cut from the same cloth, so you could label it fascist or communist, it's all interchangable. Well that doesn't leave room for understanding what these movements were really about. It shows a LACK OF ABSTRACT THINKING.

That is not a good thing.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:04 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,833,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think I may understand where the problem lies. American conservatives just see authoritarianism and think it's all cut from the same cloth, so you could label it fascist or communist, it's all interchangable. Well that doesn't leave room for understanding what these movements were really about. It shows a LACK OF ABSTRACT THINKING.

That is not a good thing.
A guy just won the election for President of the United States of America on a promise that he was going to build a wall that Mexicans would pay for.

Are you just now noticing the lack of abstract thinking?

Old 08-11-2017, 02:05 PM

Will someone, anyone, liberal or conservative, help me understand just why conservatives are actually arguing for the use of the label of fascist against people who are clearly anti-fascist, or are far left???

I am offering a better alternative to strengthen the conservative case by actually referring to the instances of far left tyranny in history they could tie to these violent far left groups. As well as TERRORISTS, such as the Weather Underground or the Baader Meinhoff gang in Germany.

In one fell swoop you could start to unravel the appeal of these far left groups on college campuses and the radicalization of the left in this country. But you people are actually still arguing that it's proper to label them fascists?

I am dumbfounded.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:07 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
All of which apply even more so to conservatives except for the last one, which can generally be rephrased as "I don't have much money, I might even be getting government benefits, but if I had money, I'd want to keep it all for myself and not let any of it go to other people the way I've been getting some myself"

Red states are the taker states, after all
What a crock. 85% of all Mortgage Modifications took place in Blue States. Adding Trillions to the National Debt.

Even without the Loan Mods, the Red States have FAR less people sucking out Medicaid, Section 8 & Snap money than the Blue States.

Add to that all of the Government Grants that Colleges in Blue states receive, & it swings WAY over to typical Blue State dwellers being addicted to spending other people's money.

However none of these data points plug into the Progressive's myopic statistics...or their silly narrative.

Old 08-11-2017, 02:09 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,456,856 times
Quote:
... I think today's Left mostly resembles Mao's fabled Red Guards from the Cultural Revolution of the 60s and 70s. That crowed was, of course, characterized by a high level of violence and destruction.

Of course, most Leftists know nothing of China except that they make a lot of stuff for Walmart.
Most Rightists don't know anything about China either.

The Red Guard in China was launched by Mao to take control of the local elements of the party. Mao was older and he felt the Central Committee was pushing him and his ideology aside.

When launched, it was particularly focused upon attacking members of government and people who were strongly attached to the traditional culture (the 'Four Olds'), which Mao felt was holding the country back. One purge led to another and successive members of government found themselves together in camps. This had interesting parallels to the 'Reign of Terror' in revolutionary France.

As a movement it got out of hand, split into battling factions and Mao finally decided (or agreed) to shut it down. He proved his point to the Central Committee: 'don't ignore me, I am still relevant'.

This bears no similarity to what we are seeing these days on the streets of American cities on the right or the left. So that's a fail.
Quote:
At the end of the day, Fascists and Communists have a lot in common- supremacy of the state, social engineering on a widespread scale, street violence, censorship, and an anti-intellectualism that has not been seen since Hitler had his bonfires on the Safe Space, I mean Bebelplatz.

So, since you have earned the tag, why not wear it with pride?
Both movements [Fascism and Communism] are historically authoritarian, not democratic in any way, both have put their trust in strong men to do the heroic heavy lifting for them (leaders and saviors), both considering leadership based upon free elections to make for a ineffective government, but after that there is no comparison.

I found this definition to be somewhat appropriate regarding Fascism :
  1. Ideological formation and the creation of a party with quasi-military cadres. Talk of national humiliation, lost vigor, and the failures of liberalism and democracy.
  2. Entry of the party into national politics. Intimidation of rivals, and planned acts of “redemptive violence” against suspect minorities and radical rivals.
  3. Arrival in government, often in alliance with conservatives.
  4. Exercise of power, in concert with institutions and business. The regime expands its control at home: restricting the press and democratic processes, corporatizing business, and collectivizing the people. Abroad, it asserts itself militarily.
  5. Radicalization or entropy: Some fascists go down in a Götterdämmerung, but most die of boredom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies