Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 03:27 PM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times

Advertisements

Simple question really.

If you think the country is moving politically to the Left, please give at least two examples of why you believe this to be true. If you think the country is moving to the center or the right, please also give two examples of support for your position.

If you would like to add a reason or two as to why in your opinion this movement is happening that would be interesting, too.

I think the country is moving to the center after a major progressive swing to the left under the previous administration. The reasons are 1) Trump's election (he is NOT a conservative Republican) 2) 2/3 of all governorships are now Republican.

Why we are swinging back to the center, in my opinion, is American's core beliefs of family, marriage, freedom of speech, and Christianity/Judaism religions have been under attack by the Democrats and most Americans support these core values. I think the swing back to the political center is a very good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 03:44 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
I don't think you can give a directional swing for the entire country.

If there's a growing trend, it's on of dissatisfaction, which cannot be viewed as left or right. I guess you could call that moving to the center, but that's frankly arbitrary.

The fact that a man who is obviously not a Republican won as a Republican should give you an idea of how people feel about the Republican party. You look at the division within the Democratic party, where a non-Democratic progressive ran a pretty good race against a more centrist Hillary. Ultimately, Bernie succeeded in an ideological war becasue more progressives are in leadership positions within the Democratic party and even Hillary started moving the to left in some key issues.

I was saying this in another thread, but this is why we need more than two parties. Logically, to suggest that two sides can present 300 million people is completely stupid. Based on what we saw in 2016, there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the parties and the electoral system more generally, and yet somehow, discussing solutions on that are not making it into mainstream conversation, which is really troubling for me as it gives me little hope that America will be bounding back from these problems anytime soon.

I'm fully expecting 2020 to be the same sort of ****show 2016 was. Probably worse.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:48 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Do you think majority of the country is moving Left/Center/Right politically?
This question may not be answerable. Do you mean citizens, legal residents, or total population? There has become quite a spread between these groups.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,626,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I don't think you can give a directional swing for the entire country.

If there's a growing trend, it's on of dissatisfaction, which cannot be viewed as left or right. I guess you could call that moving to the center, but that's frankly arbitrary.

The fact that a man who is obviously not a Republican won as a Republican should give you an idea of how people feel about the Republican party. You look at the division within the Democratic party, where a non-Democratic progressive ran a pretty good race against a more centrist Hillary. Ultimately, Bernie succeeded in an ideological war becasue more progressives are in leadership positions within the Democratic party and even Hillary started moving the to left in some key issues.

I was saying this in another thread, but this is why we need more than two parties. Logically, to suggest that two sides can present 300 million people is completely stupid. Based on what we saw in 2016, there is a lot of dissatisfaction with the parties and the electoral system more generally, and yet somehow, discussing solutions on that are not making it into mainstream conversation, which is really troubling for me as it gives me little hope that America will be bounding back from these problems anytime soon.

I'm fully expecting 2020 to be the same sort of ****show 2016 was. Probably worse.
Touche !

Old 08-13-2017, 03:54 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Impossible to say.

Keeping in mind that only about a quarter of the country voted for Trump, and there is a major revulsion toward Trump that is daily increasing, it's possible that the country may react with a leftward pull.

By the way, Christianity/Judaism have never been under attack by the left, and the fact that you'd say that only shows your own bias. The left simply believes in the classic separation of church and state, and doesn't think any religion should be in everyone's face.

Old 08-13-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
This question may not be answerable. Do you mean citizens, legal residents, or total population? There has become quite a spread between these groups.
I'm asking for personal opinions, so I hope some in C-D politics and other controversies have an opinion.

I leave it up to the person to decide who is considered "the country". In my opinion, any citizen from 18 up in age is "the country".

Old 08-13-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Impossible to say.

Keeping in mind that only about a quarter of the country voted for Trump, and there is a major revulsion toward Trump that is daily increasing, it's possible that the country may react with a leftward pull.

By the way, Christianity/Judaism have never been under attack by the left, and the fact that you'd say that only shows your own bias. The left simply believes in the classic separation of church and state, and doesn't think any religion should be in everyone's face.
I gave my opinion. I feel like religion has been under attack by the Left and one reason why the country is moving more to the center. If you feel differently that is part of the discussion, but please don't tell me my opinion is wrong.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 08-13-2017 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 04:01 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
When we lack the civics lessons we so desperately need, and people get disillusioned with the state of the Republic, there will always be two camps ready to take the most disillusioned of people; Far Leftists and Far Rightists.

Those are the two visible camps that are duking it out for the extremes in this country. Everyone else will probably hopefully move closer to the center.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:01 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
No one is moving anywhere but the chasm is growing wider.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:03 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
The country has been moving left since the Baby Boomer generation started to come of age in the 1960s', but certainly very quickly far left since the 1970's. It has been fueled by a more, and more biased media, education system, government sustaining, and growing itself, and the Democrat Party which is now unrecognizable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies