Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 11:43 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Oh please, are they going to remove the battlefields at Gettysburg, Ft Sumter, Manassas, Antietam, Vicksburg, Andersonville, Appomattox. We heard this same nonsense when they removed the confederate flag at the state capitol in South Carolina last year. The world didn't come to an end and the flag was placed in a museum as should be the case with these relics.
Actually the flag wasn't placed in a museum. It's being kept in storage and they still haven't done anything with it. Just adding some clarity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 12:38 PM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,278,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Native American statues.. you know, the history white Americans are OK with erasing
Cigar store Indians? /jk (maybe in poor taste)

I'm with you in spirit, but of all the things Native American that we've destroyed I don't think statues are very high on the list. Could be I'm in store for an education. In my state, which has the second highest population of Native Americans in the country, they are integral part of our society. The reservations are sometimes really depressing places, but their history and cultural relics are celebrated and visited by thousands of people a year.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:47 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If some of these statues were 4000 years old, I might have more respect for them for their historical significance. But 60-100 years old? Not so much. Besides, moving them to privately funded museums still preserves them - but not at my cost.
What are you talking about? We make National Parks out of stuff left behind by the Native Americans. Like I said just makes you look like ISIL

Old 08-15-2017, 01:21 PM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Removing these statues is like re-writing history. They are reminders, that is all. If they offend you, don't look at them.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:26 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
Why hasn't there been a protest to have the State of Georgia to change their flag? Georgia's flag is the Confederate States of America national flag. Most people do not understand that the Stars and Bars was a Confederate battle flag and not the Confederate States national flag.

The right to own people (slaves) ended in this country over 150 years ago, there is not a person alive today that was a slave. This would be akin to people who were descendants of British loyalist demanding the monuments honoring Washington, Jefferson and others to be removed because it offends them.
If what you say is true and it is in a public place that may come to pass but that is up to Georgia and other jurisdictions.

The right to own slaves may have ended over 100 years ago but the discrimination and violent acts against blacks continued right into the mid-1900's. Many of those monuments were built decades after the civil war, I find that very strange.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:35 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Removing these statues is like re-writing history. They are reminders, that is all. If they offend you, don't look at them.
No. Removing those statues is the recognition that some people do not deserve to be honored. Confederate soldiers do not deserve any honor. They fought for the Confederate cause. The Confederate cause's main goal was about keeping slavery. People who were willing to be traitors to this country so that they could continue an evil institution do not deserve to have public honors.

Erecting a statue of someone says that you celebrate and honor their over all cause. It isn't just a reminder. It is a an honor of what they were standing for. Confederates were standing for secession, a secession for the expressed purpose of keeping slavery. And don't lie to me trying to downplay slavery. Slavery was a major factor, and the biggest factor. VP of the CSA Alexander Stephens said from his own mouth in "The Cornerstone Speech" how secession was essential to continuing slavery, and how slavery was necessary for "the African".

Anyone who feels that the Confederate cause is worthy of some honor is basically saying "I want slavery back. I want a nation where Blacks know their place and have no say".

Old 08-15-2017, 01:44 PM

5,111 posts, read 2,052,447 times
I wonder how some social justice warriors will react to this one?
Mostly Black Dallas Group Forms To Protect Confederate Monuments « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Old 08-15-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
If what you say is true and it is in a public place that may come to pass but that is up to Georgia and other jurisdictions.

The right to own slaves may have ended over 100 years ago but the discrimination and violent acts against blacks continued right into the mid-1900's. Many of those monuments were built decades after the civil war, I find that very strange.
I live in Georgia. The majority of Confederate monuments, according to what I've read, are in south Georgia. So are the majority of counties named for Confederates. Oddly enough, "Union" County is in the far north of Georgia.

One prominent Confederate monument that no one thinks of in GA is the bas-relief carving on Stone Mountain. It depicts Confederate generals Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson. It also depicts Confederate President Jefferson Davis. This carving is larger than Mount Rushmore. The KKK had a resurgence at Stone Mountain right before the carving started. Let that sink in.

2nd paragraph: Slavery was an institution that slave owners in the South were not going to let go. This is why the Confederate states wanted secession. Even if Lincoln was willing to compromise, many in the South had a "it's our way or the highway" mentality. There was a mentality of fear. There was a fear of "if the Blacks are freed, they will take over and overrun us". Fear of "we'll have to compete with them". There were those who felt that slavery was "the natural state of the Black". Slavery ended. The South gave up slavery kicking and screaming.

Jim Crow, the KKK, acts of violence, Birth of a Nation movie, Confederate statues being erected, Confederate flags flying. All of it was "we can't keep slaves anymore, but we will keep the racial social order, with Blacks at the bottom". Jim Crow was South-wide. However, as things relate in Georgia, I don't think that it's a coincidence that the majority of Georgia's Confederate monuments are in South Georgia. That is where the cotton belt was, and the highest concentration of slaves in Georgia.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
I wonder how some social justice warriors will react to this one?
Mostly Black Dallas Group Forms To Protect Confederate Monuments « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth
Well, this is what I have to say. Said persons are an anomaly among Blacks.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:25 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
A defeated nation doesn't get to honor their heros on Americas soil. Do it on your own private property.
Isn't this what they were fighting for? States rights? If the state or city chooses to put up the statue, thugs and vandals from other states shouldn't tear them down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies