Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 01:10 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,327,268 times

Advertisements

I'm of the generation who came of age amid the unrest of the late Sixties, and I can speak from experience that the people advocating for "progressivism"/Liberalism had a lot more heroes/martyrs back then:

Martin Luther King and Robert Kennedy were the most prominent, but there was Medgar Evers, Viola Liuzzo and a number of acolytes.

Not to forget Goodman/Schwenner/Chaney (Mississippi Burning), the four demonstrators killed at Kent State, and the three at Jackson State.

But these individuals, with the exception of the two prominent public figures and two Kent State students probably felled by stray bullets, were all self-styled "activists" and with the exception of the two national figures, had little or no prominence.

In comparison, only one person -- Heather Hyer -- can be clearly categorized as a fallen hero of the Left, or a deliberate target of the "organized" so-called right wing in recent years (Yes, Lefties, I'm aware of Dylan Roof, but Roof acted alone and without deliberate and/or direct provocation of any kind).

The point I seek to make here is that Antifa, or at least some of its leadership needs victims and martyrs to fire up its mostly young (and impressionable) potential following.

And this is really nothing new; I can recall seeing flyers for "Attica Brigade" -- a group which advocated confrontation, in my own undergraduate days. The campus conservative groups countered with an explanation of the "martyrdom strategy". (And in fairness, the possibility of personal harm was admitted by the "recruiters"); campus conservatives usually countered with an examination of the "strategy of martyrdom".

https://www.marxists.org/history/ero...a-brigade.html

Guess they just don't make martyrs (and suckers) like that as easily as they did back then.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-24-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 01:15 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,525,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op
Guess they just don't make martyrs (and suckers) like that as easily as they did back then.
You can say that again.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:17 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,348,584 times
Yes.
Both sides always can use a martyr or two.

You're right in pointing out the difference between the Charlottesville riot and Dylan Roof.

I don't think any law abiding American loves the deadly lone wolves like Roof, and they will never have any organized support.

But when groups are organized and someone becomes a martyr, an incident can and does rise to a higher cause that is not soon forgotten by all sides.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:20 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
it's too bad Antifa can't be inspired by the Buddhist monks during the Vietnam war.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:23 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,722,465 times
Someone will push a bit harder and they'll have a Horst Wessel in no time...

Old 08-24-2017, 01:24 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,931,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
it's too bad Antifa can't be inspired by the Buddhist monks during the Vietnam war.
They plan on burning something else than themselves. As for martyrs, the right has theirs already, such as LaVoy Finicum, and will get more, so it looks as both sides are ramping up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies