Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 09:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times

Advertisements

I did a quick search, just wondering if there were any Black slave owners or overseers and was suprised to find that evidently and shockingly there was a significant amount of Black slave owners back in the 1800's.
I wonder what BLM/Anti-Faaaa and the Left would do with this if it was actually reported?

Quote:
Carter G. Woodson, whose grandparents and father had been slaves, was one of the first to write about the Black slave owners. In Free Negro Owners of Slaves in the United States in 1830 (published in 1924) Woodson gives the names and number of slaves owned by free blacks counted in the U. S. Census of 1830, listing them by name and the number of slaves owned.[34]

Michael P. Tremoglie, in "The Black Roots of Slavery" also noted the issue of Black slave owners.
Moderator cut: copyright violation
Black slave owners in the United States

Quote:
In 1619, 20 Africans were brought to Virginia as indentured servants to work in the tobacco-growing colony. At the end of their indenture, officials in Virginia decided to enslave some of these people. Some historians believe that one of these slaves became a slaveholder himself (Abrams, 2001, ix). This began the long history of blacks owning other blacks.
Black Slave Owners in Charleston

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-18-2017 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-18-2017, 11:46 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,375,164 times
Oooohh now you done it.

We ain't supposed to talk about that.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:47 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,785,631 times
Fine, where are their statues, let's take them down.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:34 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,468,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I did a quick search, just wondering if there were any Black slave owners or overseers and was suprised to find that evidently and shockingly there was a significant amount of Black slave owners back in the 1800's.
I wonder what BLM/Anti-Faaaa and the Left would do with this if it was actually reported?

Black slave owners in the United States

Black Slave Owners in Charleston
It's no secret.

Anyone who likes to read about the era and the war would know, it was well documented.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:37 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,598,194 times
Some states allowed slaves to buy their freedom and own property, too. Virginia was one as I discovered when I toured Colonial Williamsburg. Highly recommend everyone who wants to know American history visit this magical town. Educate yourself.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:40 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,885,882 times
Because if anyone thinks the left's agenda is about slavery or even blacks, I have a bridge to sell you.

It's all about censoring the right and shutting down real immigration reform and reduction.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:43 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,009,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:45 PM

34,244 posts, read 18,603,941 times
Please don't ruin the Liberal/Progressive narrative and anti white male agenda. We all know even though blacks owned slaves, and sold slaves in Africa to each other, and to foreigners, it was still ALL the white man's fault.

We must therefore remove all evidence of white Confederate men, and pretend they didn't exist. In that way we will "FEEL" less guilty, and "feel" better about ourselves. OK?

If only one less person "FEELS" less offended it is worth it.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:47 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,835,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Oooohh now you done it.

We ain't supposed to talk about that.
LOL, so we aren't supposed to talk about that when it was black people who first brought it up. PS I mentioned in another thread that Carter G Woodson - the Father of Black History was one of the first people to write a history of black slave owners.

Honestly too many of you are very entrenched in your political biases and ignorant about the fact that all the stuff you think is "hidden" and " not supposed to be talked about" has already been talked about and discussed and is not hidden.

There really isn't anything new under the sun. And especially not in regards to the history of our nation and black history in particular. Many of you would be shocked at the volume of work of Dr. Woodson in particular who made it a point to research and document as much about the history of black people as he could during his lifetime. He also trained black historians to do the same with his diligence.

I'll be honest again and state that the fact that so many people think that this is "hidden" and isn't "supposed to be known" is because you decide to keep yourselves ignorant about black history in America. Black historians, anthropologist, and sociologists have documented nearly every aspect of each era of the existence of black people in this country over the past 150 years. Because you decide to believe what your white conservatives tell you about us on a rather large scale and because you don't think that our history is important enough to be taught in schools, you keep yourself ignorant on significant aspects of American history. Most of Woodson, DuBois, Frazier, and Franklin's works are available electronically either on archives.org or via Amazon for free or less than $5. Educate yourselves so you will quit thinking things are hidden from you instead of the real reason being you just don't like to read anything created by black intellectuals.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:48 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,835,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
I also was going to mention this.

I doubt you can find a statue of a black slave owner being revered by white supremacists lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies