Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:48 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times

Advertisements

Instead of using so much energy on statues and street names, etc; instead of just standing around holding signs - do something that will actually help someone today - right now - in a practical way.

Volunteer with at-risk youth - you can tutor, mentor (I did this until my health got too bad), etc.

Donate to, and volunteer at, food pantries.

Volunteer at shelters for domestic abuse victims.

Volunteer daycare services for single working moms.

Etc., etc.........

These things will mean something positive to both you and the folks you help - right now!

Stop complaining about the Civil War and people who died before you were born. Help someone who is living and needs help now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 07:54 PM

39,239 posts, read 27,623,465 times
I agree with you 100%

Sadly, your thread will not be popular.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:06 PM

11,350 posts, read 16,714,274 times
This thread will die a slow death.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:27 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Agree..........I spend my time writing checks for organizations that actually help people.........and volunteering for my local food bank which feeds hungry people.

I encourage all Americans to do the same. How could you possibly justify spending your time taking down a statue when someone in your community of any race is going to bed hungry?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 26 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,556,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
Instead of using so much energy on statues and street names, etc; instead of just standing around holding signs - do something that will actually help someone today - right now - in a practical way.

Volunteer with at-risk youth - you can tutor, mentor (I did this until my health got too bad), etc.

Donate to, and volunteer at, food pantries.

Volunteer at shelters for domestic abuse victims.

Volunteer daycare services for single working moms.

Etc., etc.........

These things will mean something positive to both you and the folks you help - right now!

Stop complaining about the Civil War and people who died before you were born. Help someone who is living and needs help now.
Why is it not possible in your mind to do all of those things , and also not want schools and roads named after men who fought for slavery ?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Agree..........I spend my time writing checks for organizations that actually help people.........and volunteering for my local food bank which feeds hungry people.

I encourage all Americans to do the same. How could you possibly justify spending your time taking down a statue when someone in your community of any race is going to bed hungry?
Shouldn't the fact that your law makers spent money putting those statues up be more of a concern ?????

Old 08-22-2017, 08:41 PM

[quote=dsjj251;49282685]Shouldn't the fact that your law makers spent money putting those statues up be more of a concern ?????[/QUOTE

Most of those statues went up many years ago.

Why in the world would I be more concerned about that than a child who is going to bed hungry tonight?

My priority is food for hungry people.

If yours is statues, have at it, but in my book, if that is your priority, you are a horrible person.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:51 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,653,455 times
[quote=Blondy;49282733]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Shouldn't the fact that your law makers spent money putting those statues up be more of a concern ?????[/QUOTE

Why in the world would I be more concerned about that than a child who is going to bed hungry tonight?

If yours is statues, have at it, but in my book, if that is your priority, you are a horrible person.
^^This is why. Amazing it's not self evident. But it seems to indicate that a lot of these folks aren't really interested in helping anyone - they just want to whine and complain - which is not constructive and helps no one.

Old 08-22-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post

As many News organizations have reported, there are plenty that are being put up as we speak. So no, you cant use the excuse that "whats done is done". But as I said to the other poster, why cant you do both ?????

Old 08-22-2017, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
As many News organizations have reported, there are plenty that are being put up as we speak. So no, you cant use the excuse that "whats done is done". But as I said to the other poster, why cant you do both ?????
Where are statues being put up today that offend you?

I could do both, but every hour I spent on removing statues that might offend someone would be an hour I took away from children who are going hungry. Why would I do that? Let children go hungry to deal with stone/marble/granite? Who in there right mind thinks like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies