Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Texas get federal clean-up funds?
Yes, it's the right thing to do 126 87.50%
No, they should practice what they preach 18 12.50%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 10:50 PM

21,486 posts, read 10,598,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
2.3 million in Houston and 6.9 million in Houston metro. Where would they go? Then what? So many have or will lose everything.

Houston accepted about 200,000 evacuees from Louisiana after Katrina and was strained to meet their needs.

Media is reporting Dallas has agreed to accept 5000 evacuees.

Maybe it's time for Texas to consider imposing a state tax to take care of damaged infrastructure and disaster recovery sites throughout the state.
They already do in Houston, but with this much flooding it doesn't make any difference. Still, my neighborhood recently had municipal trucks outside working on our drainage system from our neighborhood to Mason Creek (about four months ago). It seems to be better than it was during the Memorial Day 2015 flood.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,053,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
The death toll is up to five now. The fake news networks have been going on and on about trump's speeches and tweets and have treated the Hurricane as a minor afterthought. Maybe if the they had been covering actual issues and dangers, people would have taken the threat more seriously.

Thoughts?
You are a troll.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:23 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,481,710 times
Photo not fake:

Nursing Home Residents Seen Sitting In Waist-High Water Before Rescue
An alarming photograph shows several women sitting in the murky water, one of them apparently knitting.

As for why the residents weren’t evacuated before the storm, Kim McIntosh told the New York Daily News that her mother was advised not to because the facility had never flooded before.

Nursing Home Residents Seen Sitting In Waist-High Water Before Rescue | HuffPost

Old 08-27-2017, 11:33 PM

17,637 posts, read 17,730,526 times
Bad premise for topic. The local news covered this throughly andpeople born and raised in the gulf coast area know all about this. National news coverage had nothing to do with the lack of an evacuation. However, a huge densely populated area like Houston would be very difficult to evacuate. The gridlock caused by such an evacuation would cause more deaths than if most people stayed home and only those who know their home area may flood had evacuated. While hurricanes path and point of impact can be predicted reliably, what can't be predicted is the exact amount and location of flooding. All one can do is take what they feel is reasonable precautions for where they live and hope for the best.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:48 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,638,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They already do in Houston, but with this much flooding it doesn't make any difference. Still, my neighborhood recently had municipal trucks outside working on our drainage system from our neighborhood to Mason Creek (about four months ago). It seems to be better than it was during the Memorial Day 2015 flood.
I wonder if it is possible to roll tanker trucks in there to suck up the water and dump it elsewhere? I know it would take like 1000 trucks working overtime to do it, but i think it would be worth it

Old 08-27-2017, 11:50 PM

579 posts, read 369,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I wonder if it is possible to roll tanker trucks in there to suck up the water and dump it elsewhere? I know it would take like 1000 trucks working overtime to do it, but i think it would be worth it
would be just as effective as using teaspoons

Old 08-27-2017, 11:51 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,636,432 times
Default Houston...We have a problem !

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x25...-a-problem.jpg

Why does America's 4th. largest city continually flood?

I was watching Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel interview a gentleman tonight who moved to Houston in 1963 and said this is the 4th. time he has been in a major flood since then and said why hasn't the city of Houston prepared for such events.

He also went on to say that infrastructure is lacking including lack of sidewalks and it was embarrassing.

What's wrong with Houston?

Old 08-27-2017, 11:58 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,464,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
The death toll is up to five now. The fake news networks have been going on and on about trump's speeches and tweets and have treated the Hurricane as a minor afterthought. Maybe if the they had been covering actual issues and dangers, people would have taken the threat more seriously.

Thoughts?
If the "fake news" media had told people to evacuate Houston, you would have called it a liberal "fake news" ploy and ignored it. . DUH! Your phony blame game is funny.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:06 AM

33,567 posts, read 37,175,863 times
The bottom line is...Nobody has a crystal ball that works. Hind sight is meaningless until the next disaster, but only if we learn form it....No two hurricanes are the same.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:13 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,247,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
https://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x25...-a-problem.jpg

Why does America's 4th. largest city continually flood?

I was watching Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel interview a gentleman tonight who moved to Houston in 1963 and said this is the 4th. time he has been in a major flood since then and said why hasn't the city of Houston prepared for such events.

He also went on to say that infrastructure is lacking including lack of sidewalks and it was embarrassing.

What's wrong with Houston?

They're next to the Gulf of Mexico where massive hurricanes sometimes make landfall. Can you point to a place in the world that's set up to take 50" (1270 mm) of rain in 4 days and not flood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies