Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:03 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,127,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Read up on marketing. Not all ads looks like ads.

What if what you are reading on FB came to you from a friend? Or a trusted organization?
Well I don't have FB so whatever went on there had absolutely no influence on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Do you understand that the knife cut both ways. This time it was Billary, next time it might be your guy.
Well only if "my guy" screws up on his own like Hillary did.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 PM

10,531 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Well only if "my guy" screws up on his own like Hillary did.
What are you saying? That you are good with Russian interference until such time that Trump screws up? Because that appears to be what you saying.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:24 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
So tell me please, how are people are going to go about this research other than looking it up on the internet? Where are they going to go? Fox news I suppose? Do you think people can go there for an unbiased viewpoint?

Tell me, where ARE people going to go?

How are people going to know if they are 'being gullible' if they only ever have access to one point of view and one political bias?
You are right in one respect. Main stream media is almost as bad as social media, and I include Fox news and CNN in this.
They have to verify with as many sources as possible. Follow links in the story to see if what is being said reflects the actual source. I've read many stories that say one thing, then you follow the sources and find the article was completely off and it was mainly just an opinion. If there are no links to the original source don't believe a word of it before you cross reference it with other sources. The key here is not to just read a single story and take it as truth.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
What are you saying? That you are good with Russian interference until such time that Trump screws up? Because that appears to be what you saying.
Meaning I'll make my own decision on who screws up and who I vote for based on what that particular person did, not what Russians or ads are saying.

So how exactly did Russia influence me to vote against Hillary?

Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,445,026 times
Quote:
There is no way it can be called interference from the Russians. The US doesn't own social media and it is a world wide platform where ANYONE can post ANYTHING they wish. It's up to the reader to decide what to believe and what not to believe. If we want to hold Russia accountable for any fake stories put out, we need to hold EVERYONE accountable for that and that list is going to include many politicians, MSM and regular people.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:31 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Default Mystery of Russian Fake on Facebook Solved, by a Brazilian

Mystery of Russian Fake on Facebook Solved, by a Brazilian - NY Times

Quote:
When Russia created Facebook profiles of fake Americans to influence the 2016 American election, it could make up the names and biographical details; but it needed photos, too.
Quote:
Last week, The New York Times featured Mr. Redick’s Facebook profile as an example of fake social media accounts that were used to attack Hillary Clinton, promote leaked emails obtained by Russian hackers and propagate the Kremlin’s political views.
Quote:
The photos, Mr. Costacurta told the site, were 2014 shots of himself and his daughter, then 3, now 6, that he had posted on Facebook.
We have known that this kind of stuff happens - but it's interesting to see people confirm it.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:31 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
so.... Mark Zuckerberg is now going around like a guy running for President in 2020. He could not do that if Hillary had won...

Old 09-14-2017, 12:33 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,912,422 times
Quote:
^^^ This.

I'm amazed that Trump supporters just seem to be totally fine that Russians are surreptitiously influencing how Americans think and are okay with them just getting away with it scott free, because Putin just happens to be on Trumps side.
This is irrelevant. Surely the loyalty should be to their fellow Americas, not the Russians.
Also the constant harping back to 'Hillary did this' and 'Obama did that' is irrelevant also.
We have entered a new uncharted era of propaganda by social media and Americans are not the ones that are winning.
You'd think this is how people would feel about these Russian efforts...but, the downplaying has been obvious from day one when this story started.

Old 09-14-2017, 12:35 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
Who's fault is it that Americans and people the world over are so stupid that they fall for fake news? It's their own gullible faults. The internet, especially social media, is full of fake news and propaganda from our very own people and MSM, forget about the Russians. If people don't do their own research and just believe whatever they read on the internet, then the problem is only going to get worse. Social media and the internet in general are making people more stupid and lazy by the day.
THIS!!!! ABSOLUTELY!!! The world laughs about us and our dumb fake news!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies