Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 05:00 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
And we wonder why the suicide rate is so much higher than for those outside the group.

It ain't a choice it's a mental illness.
Actually, it isn't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Live and let live is why America has gone downhill. Anything goes, right?
However, I do feel bad for anyone with severe mental illness like the person in the story has.
Really? By all means, if you find "live and let live" unacceptable, please tell us about your better plan.

Old 09-10-2017, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I agree with this.

I am personally not fully comfortable with people being allowed to make permanent changes to their body before puberty or in their early teen years. The reason why is that people that age are still developing and they can experience gender dysphoria that goes away after puberty. It's kind of like with homosexuality. Some boys have a gay phase during their teenage years and after that they become heterosexual adults. I also question what really is gender dysphoria and what is simply a matter of not fitting neatly into gender stereotypes.

Gays/trans being more suicidal is a result of the way evangelicals and society treat them. Christians have genuine, unfathomable hate for the LGBT community and it shows.
As a Christian who would fight to the death to protect the rights of my gay and transgendered friends, I ask that you revise this statement with that simple, but very important, word "some."

Old 09-10-2017, 05:12 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Breitbart, fake news. I highly doubt this is real. You really cannot believe everything you read on Breitbart. They are right up there with the National Enquirer.
How about the regional "real" news?

From girl to boy and back again, Zahra Cooper shares her journey: 'Everyone is different' - NZ Herald

According to multiple studies done across cultures and across time approximately 85% of children (the range was between 68-95%) who express a substantial desire to be the opposite gender will embrace their birth gender by the time they end puberty. This includes kids who have been socially transgendered, who by the way, have the most problems with depression and suicidal expressions, according to a recent study from the Netherlands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Sorry but it is not up to me to verify a story when someone posts links to Breitbart. If OP had posted links like you did, then I could have easily concluded whether the story is real or not.
Or you could have not commented on it unless you googled it yourself and saw either no other sources or only other sources you deem unreliable.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 AM

31,062 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So you are saying that there are people on a spectrum -- lots of people are definitely gay and never swing back and forth -- at the other end straight people who don't stray -- and in between all kinds. So we should allow folks to find their spot on the spectrum without judgement

People are born somewhere on the spectrum. BORN THAT WAY.
Im not debating that many people are born 100% or close to 100% one way or the other, just recognizing the fact of a "spectrum". I still have gay friends that swear that there are no bi men, only gay men in denial. Kinsey and others recognized this years ago so Im not sure where the confusion is. Personally, I believe that most people will adapt to the society standard around them, but that is for another post.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:29 AM

1,251 posts, read 1,078,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, it isn't either.
I'm not sure why you think you are the be-all, end-all expert on mental illness. We are get an opinion, correct? Yours counts no more than anyone else's.

Old 09-10-2017, 11:40 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default 14-yr old transgender boy/girl changes his/her mind

People with mental disorders need help, their disorder should not be encouraged.

Old 09-10-2017, 01:16 PM

31,062 posts, read 22,086,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
People with mental disorders need help, their disorder should not be encouraged.
That is a societal determination, in reality a popularity contest of the masses. If we were in the Islamic Republic of Iran, gay people can be forced to have their sex changed I'll take what we have over that anyday!

Old 09-10-2017, 06:38 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
My wife says that any man that thinks they should be a woman should experience a period, then they'll change their mind.

Old 09-10-2017, 06:48 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Reminds me of the 90s and into the 2000s when when the majority of the people in the Gay community were saying all gay people are born that way. Back then I had a cousin who came out right out of high school. A few years later at a family wedding she showed up with her fiance, a man Even back then I knew enough people that went one way, then swung back the other, or even went both ways, that "Born that way" didn't describe everyone.

Perhaps your cousin was born a bisexual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies