Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 09:44 AM

6,265 posts, read 5,077,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Not a very good 9/11 memorial thread....if that's what this was supposed to be....the original post is all over the place and the responses only made it worse.

But as somebody that was wearing the US military uniform when the towers came down, I will never forget 9/11.
1. I remember the horror of that day. I was working in an office in a small rural community hospital when a nurse came running in to say that both Twin Towers in NYC had been hit. I got up from my desk and followed her down the hall to an empty patient room where a TV was on. The room was full of people - doctors, nurses, office staff, visitors. The room was full all day as people wandered in and out, consumed with trying to get more news about what happened. We were all scared, horrified, angry, worried as we realized that our nation was under attack. Mesmerized and horrified as we watched planes crashing, citizens jumping from buildings, and first responders running towards danger. Watched as buildings fell, people ran for their lives, and watched knowing that many had just died in front of our very eyes. Watched as Bush grounded every plane in the country. I will always remember that day. And I will never, ever forget.

2. I remember Bush squandering the good will of the world when he attacked Iraq. I remember the constantly moving target of justifications for war - from WMD to "spreading democracy around the world"

3. I remember my son doing two tours in Iraq and know how grateful I am that he came home in one piece. I remember every.......single.........dead and broken veteran of the past 16 years of war and wonder every day exactly what we accomplished and if our nation thinks that the sacrifices our sons and daughters made was worth the price they paid.

4. I remember the thousands of innocent citizens who died that day, the hundreds of first responders who died that day, and the hundreds of citizens and first responders who have died since (and continue to die) - from cancers and other WTC diseases. And I remember all the husbands and wives - and sons and daughters - who were left behind without their loved one.

5. Most of you people who have responded to this thread seriously suck. This country responded terribly to this event. We haven't gotten any damn war right since WW2. We still grovel to and accommodate our enemies. Much of the refugee crisis in Europe and the ME was created by our nations' policies. There is injustice perpetrated against others. But today - ON THIS DAY - it doesn't cost any of you one damn thing to just remember and respect the innocent American lives that were lost to terrorism on our own soil. In our own land. They were your fellow citizens. Just take one minute to think about them today before you move on to business as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 09:51 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,649,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I must ask, do we, the voters, bear no responsibility for the decisions made by the politicians we voted into the office?
It's rare that the voters hold politicians accountable.

Elections have become a game of "keep the other party out."

I constantly read posts on her defending their politicians to the end. Even when a politician sells his vote to a lobbying group, these people will blame the lobbyist and give the politician a free pass.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:52 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,273,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
1. I remember the horror of that day. I was working in an office in a small rural community hospital when a nurse came running in to say that both Twin Towers in NYC had been hit. I got up from my desk and followed her down the hall to an empty patient room where a TV was on. The room was full of people - doctors, nurses, office staff, visitors. The room was full all day as people wandered in and out, consumed with trying to get more news about what happened. We were all scared, horrified, angry, worried as we realized that our nation was under attack. Mesmerized and horrified as we watched planes crashing, citizens jumping from buildings, and first responders running towards danger. Watched as buildings fell, people ran for their lives, and watched knowing that many had just died in front of our very eyes. Watched as Bush grounded every plane in the country. I will always remember that day. And I will never, ever forget.

2. I remember Bush squandering the good will of the world when he attacked Iraq. I remember the constantly moving target of justifications for war - from WMD to "spreading democracy around the world"

3. I remember my son doing two tours in Iraq and know how grateful I am that he came home in one piece. I remember every.......single.........dead and broken veteran of the past 16 years of war and wonder every day exactly what we accomplished and if our nation thinks that the sacrifices our sons and daughters made was worth the price they paid.

4. I remember the thousands of innocent citizens who died that day, the hundreds of first responders who died that day, and the hundreds of citizens and first responders who have died since (and continue to die) - from cancers and other WTC diseases. And I remember all the husbands and wives - and sons and daughters - who were left behind without their loved one.

5. Most of you people who have responded to this thread seriously suck. This country responded terribly to this event. We haven't gotten any damn war right since WW2. We still grovel to and accommodate our enemies. Much of the refugee crisis in Europe and the ME was created by our nations' policies. There is injustice perpetrated against others. But today - ON THIS DAY - it doesn't cost any of you one damn thing to just remember and respect the innocent American lives that were lost to terrorism on our own soil. In our own land. They were your fellow citizens. Just take one minute to think about them today before you move on to business as usual.
I do not see people as American's or Canadians or Iraqi's or Libyans. I look at them as people.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:55 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,575,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We will never forget who caused 9/11 and the lives lost on and after 9/12 that were all related to 9/11!

Many first responders got very sick due to their heroic and brave work on 9/11, and died later!

Freedom has and will never be the same as prior to 9/11!
Great, fine, whatever.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:10 AM

8,183 posts, read 6,938,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Not a very good 9/11 memorial thread....if that's what this was supposed to be....the original post is all over the place and the responses only made it worse.

But as somebody that was wearing the US military uniform when the towers came down, I will never forget 9/11.
Then you, more than anyone, should understand the OP and the others who posted about things such as Saudi Arabia, blowback and nation building, etc.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 AM

15,651 posts, read 10,413,163 times
https://twitter.com/StigAbell/status/907233394672762881

We will never forget. Never.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:17 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,926,777 times
Quote:
But today - ON THIS DAY - it doesn't cost any of you one damn thing to just remember and respect the innocent American lives that were lost to terrorism on our own soil. In our own land. They were your fellow citizens.
372 foreign nationals from 61 nations were killed in the September 11th attacks.

I'll remember them as well.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:16 PM

4,491 posts, read 3,937,333 times
Quote:
But today - ON THIS DAY - it doesn't cost any of you one damn thing to just remember and respect the innocent American lives that were lost to terrorism on our own soil. In our own land. They were your fellow citizens. Just take one minute to think about them today before you move on to business as usual.
Well said.

On 9/11 I make it a point to rewatch "102 Minutes That Changed America" on the History Channel. I don't even know why really, other than to take time out of my day to show some respect for the thousands who were viciously lost and the tens of thousands who were affected by their loss. In my mind, it's "the least I can do". I've done this every year for the past 15 years and will again tonight. If truth be told, I think I also do it to stay angry.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:33 PM

8,183 posts, read 6,938,956 times
A terrible, dark day for all.
Not only were so many innocent lives lost, and so many families affected, but we are all paying the price in terms of the diminishing of our freedom, liberty and privacy. So much has since been slipped by us in the name of "security". Once these things are gone, it is not easy to get them back.

Old 09-11-2017, 12:47 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,981,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We will never forget who caused 9/11 and the lives lost on and after 9/12 that were all related to 9/11!

Many first responders got very sick due to their heroic and brave work on 9/11, and died later!

Freedom has and will never be the same as prior to 9/11!
You're right about that. Every American will forever be punished for the terrible actions of a few individuals 16 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies