Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do wealthy people owe the 99% something? Should they?
Yes 78 35.62%
No 141 64.38%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 10:57 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,803 times

Advertisements

This is a difficult question and I guess Iĺl answer narrowly because it just really depends on how the company is run.

Let us take Walmart for example. The average worker at Walmart qualifies for government assistance like food stamps and free healthcare. So, in actuality, our taxes (you and I) are subsidizing Walmart employees income. The CEOs of Walmart are making a lot of money off of this, and don't have any thought of paying us back.

So, I guess Iĺl answer back with a question. Do you agree to subsidize a large company like Walmart through itś employees so that Walmart can remain a huge company and the CEOs of Walmart can earn large checks? Or do you think a company that cannot pay a living wage shouldn't be allowed to make huge profits in our capitalist system?

At the end of the day, is it fair that I help Walmart employees make a livable wage? What do I gain from this exactly? Roll down prices? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 10:57 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
I'm sure scam or illegal activities exist but its not every wealthy people who pull these stunts. That is just silly.
It is not illegal..these are loopholes that guys like Trump use.

I laugh hard at all of the sheep that don't get it and are so clueless.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post

Please provide one example.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:59 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,801,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Please example. I don't claim to be an expert on this subject at all. I have run my share of business and haven't figure out how to write things off yet.
I'm not running your business for you sorry. Better get up to speed with what the big dogs are doing.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
This is a difficult question and I guess Iĺl answer narrowly because it just really depends on how the company is run.

Let us take Walmart for example. The average worker at Walmart qualifies for government assistance like food stamps and free healthcare. So, in actuality, our taxes (you and I) are subsidizing Walmart employees income. The CEOs of Walmart are making a lot of money off of this, and don't have any thought of paying us back.

So, I guess Iĺl answer back with a question. Do you agree to subsidize a large company like Walmart through itś employees so that Walmart can remain a huge company and the CEOs of Walmart can earn large checks? Or do you think a company that cannot pay a living wage shouldn't be allowed to make huge profits in our capitalist system?

At the end of the day, is it fair that I help Walmart employees make a livable wage? What do I gain from this exactly? Roll down prices? lol
1. Let's stop all the subsidies, real or fake.
2. It is only fair to pay people for what they are worth or their work is worth. Want more money? Produce more value. It is totally unfair to pay people for MORE THAN they can produce.
3. Walmart's profit margin is only 3%. If someone didn't sneeze right, they would be losing money. Apple would be a much better example.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:01 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Have you run any business? How does one create a fake business to claim losses legally? I want to know. Creating a business only costs a few hundred dollars. If I can write off as much as I want, that would be lovely!

Do you know what a tax write off is? It's you give me $100 and I give you $30 back. If you like that write off, we can do this as long as you please.

I'm telling you now that's going to be hard for many to understand. Allow me to clarify a little...

Tax write off:

Taxpayer is paying a 30% effective tax rate.

Taxpayer pays $100 in tax but gets $30 of that back for a $100 write off. Taxpayer still pays $70 in tax.

Many still might be confused.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
I'm not running your business for you sorry. Better get up to speed with what the big dogs are doing.
Please provide one example to support your claim.

I worked in Fortune 500 companies and saw their accounting practices for a long time.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:06 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:

donating money to minimizing taxes is legal. If its a loophole, then so be it. If you want to close that, then write to your constituent. I'm sure the non profit world will be in a world of hurt.

Foundation is legal too. Some people push it to the limit or flat out abuse it. Clinton's foundation is pretty sketchy. I wonder how much impact it have in really helping out the Haitians. Some non profit CEO rake in 4 or 5 million a year...its raises eyebrows.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,489,626 times
Quote:
Putting money into a "charity" that they control to avoid paying taxes? Yeah, that's like giving all your money away.
Um you're directly contradicting your argument about people creating fake businesses just to write off expenses. No one would create a charity just to avoid paying taxes... It's the same situation, you give $100 just to save $30. There are way better ways to save the $30, or more, than charity.

Not to mention the Gates have pledged to give half their money to charity. Who gives away half their money to avoid taxes? It would be an absurd strategy that doesn't pay off... unless they were genuinely interested in philanthropy causes.

Plus, they're creating thousands of jobs with the Gates Foundation. Geez, what's wrong about this situation again?

Old 09-22-2017, 11:09 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,941,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
No, no, no, and no.

America is the land of opportunity. Someone needs to tell the freeloaders what that means.

If you want something, get off your ass and earn it. Nobody owes you anything for your existence.
Thats right all those damn poor people just need to die
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies