Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 12:55 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times

Advertisements

ESPN and others are going down as people no longer see the worth in spending $100+/month to maintain a full cable subscription. It gets worse when self important sports "personalities" decide to make it political.
"...survey indicating that 56% of consumers would ditch ESPN completely if it meant saving the estimated $8 per month the channel costs each subscriber.

But when cable providers have tried to remove ESPN from core channel bundles, they've faced lawsuits from the "worldwide leader in sports," which apparently believes it will get to milk the existing bloated bundle cableTV cash cow indefinitely...."
Report: The Absurd Cost of Sports Programming is Unsustainable | DSLReports, ISP Information

Millions are cutting the cord as an alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 12:58 PM

18,029 posts, read 27,479,203 times
I don't watch sports anything now.

It's just more fake news.

I watch FOX when I'm taking a break from living my own life.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I don't watch sports anything now.

It's just more fake news.

I watch FOX when I'm taking a break from living my own life.
If you maintain that cable or satellite TV subscription, ESPN is still getting $8/month from you whether you watch it or not. And some of that money is ended up in the pockets of the multimillionaire asses bending knees on the playing field.

You have no choice in the matter because the cable company won't let you drop it.

Old 09-24-2017, 01:08 PM

30,651 posts, read 18,255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If you maintain that cable or satellite TV subscription, ESPN is still getting $8/month from you whether you watch it or not. And some of that money is ended up in the pockets of the multimillionaire asses bending knees on the playing field.

You have no choice in the matter because the cable company won't let you drop it.
True, but by not watching ESPN, we still hurt their bottom line as ad revenue decreases due to a decrease in viewers.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
True, but by not watching ESPN, we still hurt their bottom line as ad revenue decreases due to a decrease in viewers.
But you are still being forced to support them if you want to watch any cable TV.

It's the real bottom line. One that they don't care to admit to.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:08 PM

34,069 posts, read 17,102,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

Except the $8 becomes $6 when their ratings fall, as the cable providers bargain the ESPN rates down. Whether they drop the end user cost or not, that $2 = thousands of ESPN layoffs to come.

All corps eventually die. ESPN is expediting their own demise. Massive waves of layoffs already.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:26 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
In theory: Bundles work for a reason. I pay for what I want to watch, you pay for what you want to watch, and we both have more access than otherwise.

In practice: between the bundle as a whole getting so expensive (part of which is driven by the sports fees) and online alternatives (streaming services, non-TV-internet) getting so much better a lot of people including myself just don't buy in at all.

Cable companies need to tighten up on costs, pass that on to the consumer, and offer a good streaming site for their IP to their customers as part of the package or they are going to continue to see their subscriber base crumble. HBO GO/Now is the future. If the cable companies don't push a single unified and well designed platform the content creators eventually will without them.

Old 09-24-2017, 03:31 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,796,031 times
I cancelled my cable subscription. Not about money, Everything became politicized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies