Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 01:21 AM

983 posts, read 738,703 times

Advertisements

Hanging noose Halloween display a painful reminder of lynching in America, neighbor says | WSOC-TV

Quote:
COBB COUNTY, Ga. - Halloween decorations featuring a body hanging from a noose startled neighbors in a Marietta, Georgia, community. The display includes tombstones, witches and skeletons, in addition to what appears to be a man with a hood over his head, with hands and feet tied, swinging from a rope.
I'm going to build a cotton farm in my front yard with nooses in the tree and wear a pin that says "registered Democrat"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 03:30 AM

3,703 posts, read 4,853,977 times
For Christ's sake, it's Halloween! If you don't offend someone by gore and blood your doing it wrong. This person is doing it right!

Old 09-27-2017, 07:47 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
The location matters. Between the end of the Civil War and 1950 Georgia was second in the nation for the lynching of black citizens by mobs:
  • Mississippi - 654
  • Georgia - 589
  • Louisiana - 549
  • Arkansas - 492
  • Alabama - 361
  • Texas - 335
  • Florida - 311
  • Tennessee - 233
  • South Carolina - 185
  • Kentucky - 168
  • North Carolina - 123
  • Virginia - 84
Cobb County itself was infamous for the lynching of Leo Frank a Jewish man.

While this may be no big deal to you, it is all too real of a terror for people who still remember family members lynched in the 40's, 50's, and even 60's.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:03 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Hanging noose Halloween display a painful reminder of lynching in America, neighbor says | WSOC-TV

I'm going to build a cotton farm in my front yard with nooses in the tree and wear a pin that says "registered Democrat"
I went to the Halloween Party in Kindergarten as a Confederate soldier. This was in Yankee land in Pennsylvania. It was 1963, and the TV series "The Rebel" with Nick Adams was relatively popular. I wore the grey uniform, had a plastic, toy replica 1851 PISTOL, had a Confederate Battle Flag of Northern Virginia, and trailing behind be I dragged a toy CANNON that shot plastic cannon balls. I didn't use the artillery piece in school, however. A few weeks later, JFK was assassinated.

Nobody thought I was "racist", or my mother was racist for dressing me up that way. No Black people were "offended", no media showed up. It was just a cute costume. Can you imagine that today? Our neighbors hung ghosts, or witches, or vampires in their yard, had tombstones, skeletons, etc. Nobody related that to lynching blacks.

Today, for some reason, maybe to make themselves feel special, or important, some people LOOK for ways to be offended, as if it is their right not to be.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:09 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I went to the Halloween Party in Kindergarten as a Confederate soldier. This was in Yankee land in Pennsylvania. It was 1963, and the TV series "The Rebel" with Nick Adams was relatively popular. I wore the grey uniform, had a plastic, toy replica 1851 PISTOL, had a Confederate Battle Flag of Northern Virginia, and trailing behind be I dragged a toy CANNON that shot plastic cannon balls. I didn't use the artillery piece in school, however. A few weeks later, JFK was assassinated.

Nobody thought I was "racist", or my mother was racist for dressing me up that way. No Black people were "offended", no media showed up. It was just a cute costume. Can you imagine that today? Our neighbors hung ghosts, or witches, or vampires in their yard, had tombstones, skeletons, etc. Nobody related that to lynching blacks.

Today, for some reason, maybe to make themselves feel special, or important, some people LOOK for ways to be offended, as if it is their right not to be.
Probably they didn't relate it to the lynching of blacks because according to your description there wasn't a person being lynched. But, in this case, there is more to it than just a spooky depiction. Did you look at the video or pictures? It is very realistic looking - very. I am surprised the police didn't receive calls about it.

The residents of the home did voluntarily take it down after the reporter tried to interview the roommate.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:13 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Some folks like to live a life of victim hood while the rest of us live our lives. Perhaps they should get discounts on hankies.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:40 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,354,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Probably they didn't relate it to the lynching of blacks because according to your description there wasn't a person being lynched. But, in this case, there is more to it than just a spooky depiction. Did you look at the video or pictures? It is very realistic looking - very. I am surprised the police didn't receive calls about it.

The residents of the home did voluntarily take it down after the reporter tried to interview the roommate.
Even for Cobb County...this just looks like routine Halloween stuff to me. Why should the residents have to alter their lives, for eternity, because lynchings used to happen? If it had a black face or was wearing a Kipa, I think that would be inappropriate, but I remember two people chasing people around in the dark with blade-less chainsaws in a community-set up haunted house I volunteered at. Another guy sat outside his private residence pretending to be an inanimate dummy, then he'd get up when people came near them and wave around his blade-less, but still functional chainsaw. It was great, but spooky. That stuff seems much worse to me than the stuff in this article. I looked at the dummies and was immediately unconcerned.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:40 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post

I'm going to build a cotton farm in my front Epictetus yard with nooses in the tree and wear a pin that says "registered Democrat"
Why would you do that?

I don't really find it offensive because it's Halloween. However, when you have people depicting black people hanging & you know damn well what those people are up to then yeah, I have a problem with it.

Old 09-27-2017, 09:45 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Aside from the politics, I hate hanging figures at Halloween. Neighbors had a son who hanged himself in their garage and the father found him. Every time I pass a yard display with a hanging fake body I cringe thinking about how the father must feel when he passes by.

I love Halloween but think public displays should be PG-13 in terms of horror. Leave the really gory stuff to Haunted Houses that people pay to go through.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:26 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
All ghouls, goblins, monsters etc must be placed in the yard and positioned on one knee to join the NFL protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies