Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 01:15 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,498,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Gee, my water to water the lawn averages $150/month. That's not down the drain?

Millions of people are foolish enough to live in an HOA.
Where's your well?

Seems foolish not to have a well... at least for watering the yard... that's a mandatory thing here in Florida otherwise grass dies.

Difference between NY and Florida is the high water table in Florida. The well I had for my house in NY was something like 300 feet down... here. 50 feet and you've got a geyser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2017, 01:16 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Completely untrue! Nobody is ripping off anybody in a privatized for-profit health care.

In a socialized health care, everybody gets ripped off and everybody has the privilege to die. I used to live a socialized country and enjoyed every bit of detail of socialized health care.
Then why does the U.S pay 18% of it's GDP towards healthcare while other countries pay less than 10%?? And on top of that everyone has access to healthcare in other countries. Americans are getting ripped off. And I'm talking as some who is from a so called "socialized" country.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:18 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Rent in my area is typically MORE expensive for the same quality of residence. I was paying 1100 a month for a 1700sq foot apartment, about to see another 100 dollar increase if I renewed my lease again, before I moved into a 2600sq foot house for around 1250 a month mortgage.
Down here, you can rent a 2 br apartment for $1600, and if you put that money into paying a mortgage instead, you can get a pretty nice place (tax, insurance etc included).

Quote:
I have probably put about 15-20k total worth of non recupable expenses into my house over the 6 years I have been in it, meanwhile I am up 85k on the value of the house and have 10s of thousands of dollars worth of equity built up... do the math. Even if the house price had remained completely stable I would still be up financially, not to mention the improved independence and quality of living from owning a house that is much nicer than what I would have if I payed the same amount in rent.
Yep. I never regretted getting a mortgage to buy my own place.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Then why does the U.S pay 18% of it's GDP towards healthcare while other countries pay less than 10%?? And on top of that everyone has access to healthcare in other countries. Americans are getting ripped off. And I'm talking as some who is from a so called "socialized" country.
When you introduce government bureaucracy to anything in America you wind up with what screwed up system we have.
Example-DMV in NY.

Last person or entity I'd trust health matters with, is a bureaucracy. But some folks here think oh it'd be the best thing to happen since sliced bread...

Old 09-26-2017, 01:24 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Where's your well?

Seems foolish not to have a well... at least for watering the yard... that's a mandatory thing here in Florida otherwise grass dies.

Difference between NY and Florida is the high water table in Florida. The well I had for my house in NY was something like 300 feet down... here. 50 feet and you've got a geyser.
Or dont water the yard. Maintaining yard grass is perhaps the biggest waste of energy and source of pollution on the planet as a whole, and that includes golf courses. If everyone had a well and wasted that water on grass pretty sure they'd run dry in a hurry

Waste of water combined with yard equipment that lacks good pollution controls and is noisy. I must admit the alternative would be a pain in the butt, though... Manicuing landscape plants or having a yard of rocks with weeds popping through or letting it grow into field grass and dealing with rodents, etc. I just let the grass dry out and mow when it grows.

The alternative to beaurocracy is anarchy... Not a pretty solution. Thankfully you only have to deal with the overpaid unmotivated DMV employee once a year.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You pay water and electric if you rent, so no difference there. A mortgage includes insurance and tax, so yes, its pretty much the same expense to rent or buy.

No. Renting is 100% money thrown away, and owing is basically same as putting money in the bank, so even if owing cost little more, it still makes sense.
I don't need to pay water to water the lawn when I rent.

A mortgage only includes principle and interest; monthly payment may include mortgage, insurance and tax. No, it's not "pretty much the same." It also misses the maintenance.

When we rent, we tend to rent less house.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,073,569 times
Honestly, a house is the least of the consumer problems.

It's buying all the other junk that's a problem. Go to a Goodwill or similar store and it's just huge stores filled with junk that is now worthless and no one wants. It actually makes me sad. The desire to have the best, newest, fanciest, trendiest item leads to the rat race mentality OP is complaining about. It applies to everything from electronics to cars to wearable goods.

On top of that, people feel the need to eat out at overpriced chain restaurants (when food prepared at home can be more delicious), or to spend $100 a month on satellite TV, and it goes on and on.

Of course it goes without saying that people have different priorities. We travel instead of spending a lot on gadgets.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Or dont water the yard. Maintaining yard grass is perhaps the biggest waste of energy and source of pollution on the planet as a whole, and that includes golf courses. If everyone had a well and wasted that water on grass pretty sure they'd run dry in a hurry

Waste of water combined with yard equipment that lacks good pollution controls and is noisy.
I know that, but I would be fined out of my house by my HOA if I don't water the lawn.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post

Waste of water combined with yard equipment that lacks good pollution controls and is noisy.
LOL no they dont run dry in a hurry. That's a clueless assumption.

I can't even take your comments seriously. Normally I'd argue and ridicule but mom told me its not nice to pick on slow kids...

Old 09-26-2017, 01:30 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,269,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
When you introduce government bureaucracy to anything in America you wind up with what screwed up system we have.
Example-DMV in NY.

Last person or entity I'd trust health matters with, is a bureaucracy. But some folks here think oh it'd be the best thing to happen since sliced bread...
False! I'm from Canada and we have private healthcare system, but difference is we pay for these services through our taxes. If you work, you pay into it. And Nobody can deny you healthcare because it is a constitutional right, not a privilege because up there, all lives do matter! (Yes, Not just an empty mantra).

And yes DMV does suck, which is why we privatized that sector in the province of Alberta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies