Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 12:39 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times

Advertisements

"I'm going to build a cotton farm with nooses........."

I'm not sure how this one size fits all troll rhetoric fits into a Halloween display, but okay. Whatever.

Maybe we should just start a committee that goes from house to house telling people what they can and can't display lest they offend the snowflakes? I know, lets just sanitize the whole holiday and make it 100% politically correct.

I had a black friend that went to a Halloween party dressed as the KKK. Politically correct or hysterically funny? (I'm in the hysterically funny crowd.)

I'm glad Illinois wasn't on that lynching list. I made a silhouette of a hang man with my husbands profile, and oh yeah, it's going in the window this year. Is it a political statement? Some may say yes, some may say no. Either way there are days when it seems perfectly reasonable to me. If you don't like it? Walk the other way. I'll put a sign on my front lawn warning viewers that there may be graphics that sensitive viewers may want to avoid. Yikes, people need to get over themselves and their self righteous importance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2017, 01:13 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,650,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
Questions:

1. We all of those lynched, innocent?
what?

Old 09-27-2017, 01:13 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Hanging noose Halloween display a painful reminder of lynching in America, neighbor says | WSOC-TV

I'm going to build a cotton farm in my front yard with nooses in the tree and wear a pin that says "registered Democrat"

Not a day goes by that African Americans aren't "outraged" by something.

Yet they seem totally oblivious to the daily shootings and other crimes, like those in Atlanta where that story is from, in their own communities.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
i have an idea to not offend anyone, from now on we all live in small grey apartments, drive mid sized grey sedans, wear grey clothing, read the same book, listen to the same music, all government approved of course, eliminate ALL holidays, eliminate all parties, social events, sports, etc.

we all get to go to work, do our jobs, collect our pay, and go home. we can only shop at government approved stores, buy only government approved items, etc.

and we also only talk using government approved speech. that should end peoples feeling getting hurt because of something stupid like celebrating halloween.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:25 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not a day goes by that African Americans aren't "outraged" by something.

Yet they seem totally oblivious to the daily shootings and other crimes, like those in Atlanta where that story is from, in their own communities.
Honestly this could be said about all of us Americans. We are outraged by nonsensical things like kneeling during the National Anthem or Tweets from Trump yet we don't seemed very concerned about real problems like our astronomically high murder rate for example or the growing disparity in wealth between social classes.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:28 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Can one not be concerned about both? I don't want to see realistic, life size depictions of thugs shooting other people, complete with blood pools and splatters, either.
They can be concerned about both...but I'm wondering why any amount of people larger than an extreme and inconsequential minority would experience noticeable trauma from seeing the sorts of Halloween decorations in the article.

The way I see it, at most this is an issue of whether or not Halloween goriness is appropriate and it doesn't have anything to do with lynching. I would argue, though, that without at least some Halloween goriness, I don't know what the point of Halloween is.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:31 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why would you do that?

I don't really find it offensive because it's Halloween. However, when you have people depicting black people hanging & you know damn well what those people are up to then yeah, I have a problem with it.
I looked at the picture - saw the flannel plaid shirt and immediately thought cowboy - you know like Clint Eastwood's Hang Em High - people have got to quit reading the worst into every little thing.

Old 09-27-2017, 01:33 PM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Honestly this could be said about all of us Americans. We are outraged by nonsensical things like kneeling during the National Anthem or Tweets from Trump yet we don't seemed very concerned about real problems like our astronomically high murder rate for example or the growing disparity in wealth between social classes.
Those nonsensical things are being pushed and fueled by the media. Should we talk about wealth disparity - since all those in office are set for life - no matter the party - should the media push that angle - it would also reflect poorly on the Democrats and we don't want to do that.

Old 09-27-2017, 02:34 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
I wonder what the response would be if it was a line of lifelike cats and dogs hanging from the tree?

I wonder how much coverage one would get on conservative news if someone dressed up like a member of ISIS and carried a prop severed head. I can already see Tucker Carlson losing his ****. Liberals have sided with ISIS and are demanding the heads of good conservatives everywhere.

Damn, I don't have a tree to lynch fake animals on, but I could definitely put that costume together for Halloween.

Old 09-27-2017, 05:22 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Aside from the politics, I hate hanging figures at Halloween. Neighbors had a son who hanged himself in their garage and the father found him. Every time I pass a yard display with a hanging fake body I cringe thinking about how the father must feel when he passes by.

I love Halloween but think public displays should be PG-13 in terms of horror. Leave the really gory stuff to Haunted Houses that people pay to go through.
You def brought up a good point there about Halloween stuff needs to be somewhat tame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies