Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2017, 07:53 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
An example of where math obscures the truth. I live in Florida and a few years from retirement. Most workers in stores are 70 plus. That is not an exaggeration.
Buffet, Ellison, Bloomberg, Koch Bros and so on control vast amounts of wealth and skew the numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 07:58 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
And here's the former gas station attendant/ janitor who managed to accumulate $8 million in wealth through frugal living and long term investments :

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/09/here...m-fortune.html

Old 09-30-2017, 07:59 PM

3,325 posts, read 1,960,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyFoxSeaton View Post
Your entire post is all.. oh there is this, but it isn't perfect... oh there is this but it isn't perfect.

Stalker much? I don't even remember that thread so I can't fight you but I remember asking about a handyman to do some work in my basement. Look out.. I must be up there with the the Trumps!

Your right, I chose well. I will be pretty well off when the time for retirement comes. Because I have been planning for a long time and working hard to save every dime I can. But I also will be moving to a cheaper state not demanding that I get even more money because I want to stay here.

Can't have much sympathy for those who didn't and now want even more entitlements.

Just more selfish baby boomer attitude. They are the most spoiled generation.
Be careful with your arrogance. You may find in years to come that your contemporaries vote to relieve you of some of your wealth.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:01 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Certainly not a new topic, but the latest article on the sobering reality facing many older Americans and those about to join that demographic in the future.

Our country doesn't value old age, instead it considers them washed up and left to fend for themselves in favor of youth.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...al-insecurity/
My neighbor said she was going to work until she dropped dead, but then she got sick, her family moved her into a facility, they put a dumpster in front of the house, and the place will be sold. She wanted to work until she dropped because she loved her job. I want to work until I drop as well, but if we live long enough chances are we will have no choice but to stop working.

I agree that old age is not valued. Today's youth look at the people who invented the computer and assume they know nothing about the computer. They think old age equates to stupidity, and that as they age they will become more brilliant.

People are funny.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:02 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,491,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
And here's the former gas station attendant/ janitor who managed to accumulate $8 million in wealth through frugal living and long term investments :

https://www.cnbc.com/2015/02/09/here...m-fortune.html
Lucky for him he did not invest in Enron.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:04 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,098,913 times
"I'm going to work until I die" is mostly a myth because it infers that one will be able to work until death. The fact is that very few people die "in the saddle." Instead, they have strokes, heart attacks, cancer, dementia, you name it, and they become disabled. If you are not healthy enough to work, you don't get the income, unless you have planned ahead with retirement plans, disability and health insurance, etc. Then the problem is that many people don't make enough all their working lives to do that kind of planning and saving.
The person who said several pages ago that they can just live on Social Security and Medicare is delusional. Social Security is supposed to be a supplement, not one's sole support, and truly, one who tries to live on that alone, without help from family, is going to be in abject poverty. Medicare keeps getting less and less comprehensive, as benefits and payments shrink. And now, some are trying to shrink it further and take away Medicaid. And the problem with moving to a less expensive place is often that the elderly poor simply can't afford to move. It takes money to do that. It is a thorny dilemma.

Old 09-30-2017, 08:46 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
"I'm going to work until I die" is mostly a myth because it infers that one will be able to work until death. The fact is that very few people die "in the saddle." Instead, they have strokes, heart attacks, cancer, dementia, you name it, and they become disabled. If you are not healthy enough to work, you don't get the income, unless you have planned ahead with retirement plans, disability and health insurance, etc. Then the problem is that many people don't make enough all their working lives to do that kind of planning and saving.

The person who said several pages ago that they can just live on Social Security and Medicare is delusional. Social Security is supposed to be a supplement, not one's sole support, and truly, one who tries to live on that alone, without help from family, is going to be in abject poverty. Medicare keeps getting less and less comprehensive, as benefits and payments shrink. And now, some are trying to shrink it further and take away Medicaid. And the problem with moving to a less expensive place is often that the elderly poor simply can't afford to move. It takes money to do that. It is a thorny dilemma.
My father's best friend died in the saddle. He had a farm outside the city and it was a beautiful summer day with deep blue skies and a warm breeze. He had been going in circles on the lawn mower when he was found dead of a heart attack. I've always thought that is a great way to go.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:06 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Many people did save and invest but lost all or most of it in 2008 crash.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:16 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Good news! They won't work because no one wants to hire old people.
Bullsh** !! I'm 72 and could walk into any number of places and walk out with a job today. Pretty much, I've never had to look for a job, they came looking for me. If I left my current job, a couple of phone calls and I would be working somewhere else by the end of the week.

I've retired twice, once for 3 years and once for a year and a half......got bored stiff, and now work 40 per week. Four of us at my place are either in our late 60's or early 70's, and our experience and knowledge is respected by the company. Our customers seek us older guys out because we know what we are talking about and can solve their problems quickly.

This myth that old people are only good for bagging jobs at Walmart is just that, a myth. A lot of us are in positions that younger people won't or can't fill.

Old 09-30-2017, 09:18 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Bullsh** !! I'm 72 and could walk into any number of places and walk out with a job today. Pretty much, I've never had to look for a job, they came looking for me. If I left my current job, a couple of phone calls and I would be working somewhere else by the end of the week.

I've retired twice, once for 3 years and once for a year and a half......got bored stiff, and now work 40 per week. Four of us at my place are either in our late 60's or early 70's, and our experience and knowledge is respected by the company. Our customers seek us older guys out because we know what we are talking about and can solve their problems quickly.

This myth that old people are only good for bagging jobs at Walmart is just that, a myth. A lot of us are in positions that younger people won't or can't fill.
My industry is aged out at 75 due to insurance, no carrier wants to cover truck drivers older than that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies