Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Where would we be, if eagle-eyed government employees failed to obedience-train six-year-olds into delivering their daily Loyalty Oath?

The fact that you decry "Big-govt leftists" in the first sentence is almost absurdly ironic. You want government to enforce loyalty in the classroom. You don't want small government at all - you just want government that enforces your ideas.

Now, that may feel like small government to you - after all, as long as government is on your side and reinforces your way of thinking, you'll never feel them to be a hindrance.
When I was young and started school, we were taught to respect the flag and that we were fortunate to live in a free country. Patriotism was regarded as honorable and virtuous. Patriots weren't spat upon. We defended the right to free speech as well. That was part of being an American. No one had to be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. We did it out of love for country.

If we didn't have that kind of patriotism, this country would have been destroyed many decades ago. If you don't care enough for your country to respect the flag and stand up for it, perhaps you don't belong here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, this country sucks and doesn't offer much freedom or liberty anymore, so really no values left to respect.

Maybe once we get rid of the dictator in the White House, the Republican traitors in Congress, and the cave-dwelling cult that enables them, we can return to respect what American is supposed to stand for.

Until then, we're no better than 3rd world dictatorships.
I couldn't agree more. Since January my city has become a 3rd world cesspool. Malaria and AIDS spreading like wildfire. Bodies piling up from starvation. Drinking water's as scarce as gold. Getting worse every day.

I long for the old days of freedom when I could worship or not, read what I want, watch what I want, vote in elections, write nasty letters to government officials, say the country sucks without fear of being tossed into prison.

Great post

Old 10-01-2017, 09:03 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Well, we certainly wouldn't want forced shows of allegiance, would we?
No, but this kid is six years old.

If the six year old says grace before every meal, I am sure some (not you) would say, "Kid has been brainwashed."

Old 10-01-2017, 09:12 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
(snip)

....it wasn’t until a 6-year-old boy went down on one knee in his classroom during the pledge of allegiance that parents began to realize that the political issue may need their attention.

In a first-grade classroom in Pasco County, Fla., on Monday, a young boy was reprimanded by his teacher for kneeling during the Pledge of Allegiance. Without being offered an opportunity to discuss his reasoning behind the action, the boy was told to stand up and stop his protest.

“I just wanted to let you know that this morning when it was time to do the Pledge of Allegiance, [your son] went down on one knee,†the student’s teacher told his mother through a text message. “I knew where he had seen it but I did tell him that in the classroom we are learning what it means to be a good citizen we’re learning about respecting the United States of America and our country symbols and showing loyalty and patriotism and that we stand for the Pledge of Allegiance. I know its a sensitive issue but I wanted to make you aware. Thanksâ€

The boy’s mother immediately took her case to the school’s principal, requesting that her son be placed in a different class.

(snip)
How does this same school deal with the children of Jehovah Witnesses, who also refuse to take the flag pledge? In my experience JW's are not "Leftists" so whatever guideline is used for them might set a precedent for the school.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,086,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
How does this same school deal with the children of Jehovah Witnesses, who also refuse to take the flag pledge? In my experience JW's are not "Leftists" so whatever guideline is used for them might set a precedent for the school.
They used to go the hall during the morning ceremonies.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:17 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The NFL made a business decision to take money from the Dept. of Defense to promote the U.S. Armed Forces. Their DEAL required the players to be present, and stand for the pledge of allegiance, and flag. The league, and thus the players, and players' union agreed to the deal. Then they reneged. It is purely a corporate workplace conduct issue, not a freedom issue, but it seems liberal/progressives aren't smart enough to understand that, or purposely LIE about that fact.
You seem to have left out the bit where a very senior government official declared that the players should lose their jobs as a consequence.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:19 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
When I was young and started school, we were taught to respect the flag and that we were fortunate to live in a free country. Patriotism was regarded as honorable and virtuous. Patriots weren't spat upon. We defended the right to free speech as well.That was part of being an American. No one had to be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. We did it out of love for country.

If we didn't have that kind of patriotism, this country would have been destroyed many decades ago. If you don't care enough for your country to respect the flag and stand up for it, perhaps you don't belong here.
Yeah, there's a bit of a disconnect here.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:23 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
When I was young and started school, we were taught to respect the flag and that we were fortunate to live in a free country. Patriotism was regarded as honorable and virtuous. Patriots weren't spat upon. We defended the right to free speech as well. That was part of being an American. No one had to be forced to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. We did it out of love for country.

Quote:
Yeah, there's a bit of a disconnect here.

Ok, lets ship off those who won't stand/ recite the pledge and are not of said faith. Is that the type of country we want this to be?

Then welcome to the new Amerikica.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
When I got to first grade I was TOLD to take the Pledge of Allegiance and to stand at attention for the National Anthem. I resented being forced then and still do. I will pledge my allegiance and respect the anthem if I desire but do not want to be forced. Pure social pressure forces me to show respect for the Anthem.

It will be a strange day if I ever intone the "under god" phrase in the pledge. I also resent the "Liberty and Justice for All" part when it is so obviously false. We are not a country that is under any "god" and based on the incredible lawlessness of stealing the land from the original Amerindian owners as well as the obvious violation of the humanity of keeping humans as chattel. Then we get into insane wars to protect the investors of another country because the natives of that country do not want to be economically enslaved as colonial under the exploiters. Finally a country that was stupid enough to elect a egomaniacal showman/thief/liar/bankrupt/ Russian agent as President.

I will live in this country because I do value our Constitution and really do believe in "Liberty and Justice for All" but an still waiting and working for it to happen.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:54 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
In my opinion, parents should Provide structure, and teach the children self-discipline. (You have to do things you don't want to do sometimes.)

Not a bad thing. If you want to teach your six year old other things, feel free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies